Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need to explain something British?

Need to explain something British?

Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:19 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Need to explain something British?

I found this a while back when trying to explain some British stuff. Its actually a primary school, but I think they did a great job of the basics
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...oms/questions/
Enjoy (not having to explain stuff 100 times!)

Last edited by Chorlton; Nov 10th 2005 at 6:23 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need to explain something British?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
I found this a while back when trying to explain some British stuff. Its actually a primary school, but I think they did a great job of the basics
Wow. The very first part goes a long way to show what they value -- "the world's richest football club."

While *Tim Berners-Lee* is British by birth, he was working in Geneva at the time of the intention of the WWW and now lives in Boston. I think they would have done better to stick with writers and tack JK Rowling onto the list.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Wow. The very first part goes a long way to show what they value -- "the world's richest football club."

While *Tim Berners-Lee* is British by birth, he was working in Geneva at the time of the intention of the WWW and now lives in Boston. I think they would have done better to stick with writers and tack JK Rowling onto the list.
That may reflect the views of the teacher in charge
Anyway, I found it really useful many times, and I think they did a great job.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

True -- and yes, seeing things through the eyes of children is a good idea, as everything is relatively new to them, as well.

I think the teacher did put them up to the "richest football club in the world" bit. Must be a Chelsea supporter.
Old Nov 10th 2005, 6:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Chorlton for putting that up very interesting
Old Nov 10th 2005, 7:31 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Good post! Very handy for my girls when they are trying to explain to friends about all things British!
Old Nov 10th 2005, 8:55 pm

I knew it would be useful
I was just looking here:
http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch...membrance.html
Does anyone do the 1 or 2 minute silence here?
Old Nov 10th 2005, 10:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So, are you going to walk around with a laptop (with wireless connection) all day, or print the whole thing off and pass it around?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
So, are you going to walk around with a laptop (with wireless connection) all day, or print the whole thing off and pass it around?
I dont know if you've ever thought of this, but they have this thing called email and you can send links to the website by email - amazing, huh? If its too technical for you, just leave it for those who can use it

Last edited by Chorlton; Nov 11th 2005 at 1:20 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if you've ever thought of this, but they have this thing called email and you can send links to the website by email - amazing, huh? If its too technical for you, just leave it for those who can use it
And here I thought you were taking on the personal task of educating us lazy Americans.... Or do you know everyone's email addy?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
And here I thought you were taking on the personal task of educating us lazy Americans.... Or do you know everyone's email addy?
Whats up, Lisa, not getting enough attention recently? You lazy fat americans are not my concern. I educate those with the desire to learn about British culture. Its funny, because everyone esle who responded found it very useful. I do not enforce my ways on foreigners. Now if you've got a problem, come out with it or shut up
Try not to make an arguement when there is none to be made so you don't embarass yourself too much. I would consider seeing a doctor about those hormones if I were you.

Last edited by Chorlton; Nov 11th 2005 at 2:31 pm.
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:38 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

That's brilliant! Lots of great information there, and this was done by primary school kids?!?!?!. It was Dick, Dora, Nip and Fluff in my day
Old Nov 11th 2005, 2:42 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Whats up, Lisa, not getting enough attention recently? You lazy fat americans are not my concern. I educate those with the desire to learn about British culture. Its funny, because everyone esle who responded found it very useful. I do not enforce my ways on foreigners. Now if you've got a problem, come out with it or shut up
Try not to make an arguement when there is none to be made so you don't embarass yourself too much. I would consider seeing a doctor about those hormones if I were you.

Fight Fight Fight
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:01 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

just found this site, which is kind of fun and non-PC;

http://www.sterlingtimes.org/
Old Nov 11th 2005, 3:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Will that woman ever STOP!!! Why bother joining in just to be rude Dog with a bone comes to mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.