Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need a cheap cell phone...

Need a cheap cell phone...

Old Apr 9th 2008, 6:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a cheap cell phone...

Originally Posted by ugacrew
I think all this talk is confusing. Just get a cheapie from Walmart or Target, try your SIM. If it doesn't work return it. I think there is one at Walmart for 20 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7731301
target had a few on sale last week for a tenner...don't know if still on sale though..
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

lofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to alllofty79 is a name known to all

I think all this talk is confusing. Just get a cheapie from Walmart or Target, try your SIM. If it doesn't work return it. I think there is one at Walmart for 20 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7731301
This is the very phone i picked up a week or two ago from Radio Shack, for $19.99. It has absolutely no bells or whistles but is great for calling and texting - perfect for my needs. The lack of bells and whistles also means it's a very slim unit.

You should have no complaints with this hand-set.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:44 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chicagojlo
Yes you can put your contract SIM in a payg phone so long as it's from the same network.
Late to the party.. but if that is so, I saw AT&T PAYG phones in OfficeMax yesterday for $15.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Late to the party.. but if that is so, I saw AT&T PAYG phones in OfficeMax yesterday for $15.
Great - that's closer to me than either Target or Wally's!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:27 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Getting the PAYG handset and changing out SIM's sounds like a very good idea.

But I would first make sure that you aren't violating the terms of whatever agreement accompanies the PAYG phone by using a SIM card that is different from what was originally intended when they sold you the phone. At $15-20, the price of that handset is heavily subsidized, and AT&T might not be pleased if they figure out what you've done. (And yes, they can figure it out.)
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:35 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Getting the PAYG handset and changing out SIM's sounds like a very good idea.

But I would first make sure that you aren't violating the terms of whatever agreement accompanies the PAYG phone by using a SIM card that is different from what was originally intended when they sold you the phone. At $15-20, the price of that handset is heavily subsidized, and AT&T might not be pleased if they figure out what you've done. (And yes, they can figure it out.)
Thanks for the warning!

I've just seen this on the AT&T website:

Nokia 2610 (Refurb) - GoPhone® (Pay As You Go) for 10 bucks:
new = $159.99
Refurb Discount - $150.

Is this likely to work or might I have the same problem?
Old Apr 9th 2008, 8:46 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Thanks for the warning!

new = $159.99
Refurb Discount - $150.

Will the handset function? Sure, no reason that it shouldn't. (Do note, though, that this is a dual-band phone, so it will not work in the UK at all, even if with the AT&T SIM card.)

Will you have an issue with AT&T? I don't know. I'm just raising the question because I could see them making an issue of this.

They are selling the handset at the low price with the expectation that you will use it for PAYG calls, for which they project a given revenue stream. If you use it for another AT&T account, it's pretty clear to them that you've taken their subsidy money but will not give them the benefit. So I would not be surprised if there is language in the PAYG contract that doesn't allow you to do it.

If you buy a handset from someone else, it isn't their business who you bought it from or what you paid for it. But buying it from them might be another matter. I'd read the PAYG agreement first, see what it says and hope that my suspicions are misplaced.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Thanks for the warning!

new = $159.99
Refurb Discount - $150.

Call AT&T customer services and ask them if they'll unlock an AT&T PAYG phone so you can use your existing monthly contract SIM. I suspect there will be no problem if you've had a contract with them for a while but I'm sure they'll tell you if there will be a problem.

From having done it the other way round (I bought a PAYG and wanted to use it in an AT&T locked phone that I had previously used on my monthly contract) you will have to get them to unlock it for you as you can't usually just swap the SIMS and have them work but it only takes a few minutes on the phone with them.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
So I would not be surprised if there is language in the PAYG contract that doesn't allow you to do it.
Isn't "PAYG contract" an oxymoron?

The whole point of pay as you go is that there is no contract...

Happy to be corrected however

My brother needed a replacement battery for one of his phones. New battery from Nokia was 20 quid. Pay as you go phone with complete sales package (inc battery of course)... 19.95. He bought the pay as you go phone, grabbed the battery, and sold what was left over on ebay for about a fiver
Old Apr 9th 2008, 9:57 pm
Bloody Yank

Originally Posted by hobbes79

Sure, it's an oxymoron. But a $20 phone is probably going to come with strings attached. It was their subsidy that made it possible for you to pay only $20 for it.

The wireless carrier probably paid more than that, even at wholesale. It probably doesn't want to lose money on the deal.

There is an agreement that accompanies the purchase, because of the subsidy, something of which they are quite mindful. (This is one reason why they tack on huge penalties for early cancellation of contracts.) I would read whatever paperwork accompanies the phone before buying it, and act accordingly.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 10:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79

My brother needed a replacement battery for one of his phones. New battery from Nokia was 20 quid. Pay as you go phone with complete sales package (inc battery of course)... 19.95. He bought the pay as you go phone, grabbed the battery, and sold what was left over on ebay for about a fiver
It is a contract - it's just that the user has rights to immediate termination at will. I suspect you will find that any PAYG SIM and/or phone will come with terms of use that you show acceptance of just by using the phone. These will probably include not unlocking the phone without the carrier's approval as RoadWarrior points out. They probably also prohibit you using the phone for terrorist or other illegal activities to try and prevent the phone company getting sued if you do use it for this type of thing.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:20 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I unlocked my own phone.. I didn't know I was so daring!

I'm pretty sure we've used SIMs from different carriers on it too.. I know for sure that I unlocked it for Mexico and my SIM from there works on it (gracias otra vez, Julio!) but I suppose it all depends on how, er, unorthodox you mind being.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:31 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Just don't fear eBay. I've used it myself to undercut the market on tech toys and haven't been disappointed. Just pay attention to the Seller Rating and feedback that they've gotten. I've known many people to buy computer parts, cell phone accessories, Mac accessories, and so forth with no issue.
A Rabbit isn't a 'Tech toy'
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:33 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
A Rabbit isn't a 'Tech toy'
Piss off
Old Apr 9th 2008, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

I got 2 free phones from AT&T when we signed on for new service, but didn't need them since we both had phones we liked. Sold them on ebay and made $250. Keeping an eye out of the window for the feds as I type.

You are entitled to buy a 20 buck subsidised phone and use it as a door stopper if you like

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.