Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need a cheap cell phone...

Need a cheap cell phone...

Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:35 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a cheap cell phone...

Originally Posted by ugacrew
She might have bought a SIM card under her annual plan. Elvira, which SIM do you have?
I have a sim through an annual plan with AT&T.

So I could just use that with a cheap PAYG phone?

Thanks everyone, btw I hope I've remembered to karma you all, but if I've left anyone out it's because I was cooking risotto and somehow more of the white wine ended inside yours truly rather than in the risotto... (was delicious neverthelss )
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:08 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

You need to look for a phone that's been unlocked. Have you tried eBay? Better yet, who's your cell provider? If it's Tmobile then I might be able to help you with a basic one.
TMobile will unlock a phone for you if you ask (of course, if it's an old one no longer used then they probably won't be able to help). They did this for me about 2 years ago.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:12 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
TMobile will unlock a phone for you if you ask (of course, if it's an old one no longer used then they probably won't be able to help). They did this for me about 2 years ago.
I know this. I asked about it so that I'd be able to get a SIM card overseas for my phone. TMobile rocks like that. They are my provider. I think it helps that they are run by Deutsche Telekom. I don't think there's another company stateside that has international ties like that.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:26 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

I know this. I asked about it so that I'd be able to get a SIM card overseas for my phone. TMobile rocks like that. They are my provider. I think it helps that they are run by Deutsche Telekom. I don't think there's another company stateside that has international ties like that.
I like them a lot; my wife still has them but I have a crappy Verizon phone from work now. I unlocked mine as I have an Orange pay as you go SIM card from the UK for trips back.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

chicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond reputechicagojlo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira

Thanks everyone, btw I hope I've remembered to karma you all, but if I've left anyone out it's because I was cooking risotto and somehow more of the white wine ended inside yours truly rather than in the risotto... (was delicious neverthelss )
Yes you can put your contract SIM in a payg phone so long as it's from the same network. My husband has had to do this twice now after buying cheap phones from Ebay and them dying after a few months. He won't learn...sigh.

BTW Orange is part of France Telecom and has networks all over Europe, so it's probably as connected as Deutsche, if not more, at least in Europe. I just prefer T-Mobile because they are cheaper!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

That's right - should work just fine so long as you stick with an AT&T one, like the cheapo one I suggested.

The one and only thing you have to watch are things like the WAP settings, which will be set to pre-paid rather than post-pay. But this is unlikely to be a concern for you, and they can be changed anyway if you know what you're doing.

Should make phone calls and text just fine right out of the box. With it being Walmart, just return it if it doesn't
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:32 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

There is some recourse for purchases. I haven't ready any issues relating to it sucking the proverbial goat. That's not to say your viewpoint is false.
When it works, it's great and convenient, but when it doesn't, it's a nightmare, plenty of horror stories around the interweb and from friends that tried to get any recourse
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:34 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hobbes79
That's right - should work just fine so long as you stick with an AT&T one, like the cheapo one I suggested.

The one and only thing you have to watch are things like the WAP settings, which will be set to pre-paid rather than post-pay. But this is unlikely to be a concern for you, and they can be changed anyway if you know what you're doing.

Should make phone calls and text just fine right out of the box. With it being Walmart, just return it if it doesn't
Thanks ........... will give it a try
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Let us know how you get on

Those pre-pay ones really are a great deal, since they're subsidised by the associated network... AT&T in this case.

The absolute cheapest phone available direct from Moto is $45.99...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 4:56 pm
Homebody

Let us know how you get on

Those pre-pay ones really are a great deal, since they're subsidised by the associated network... AT&T in this case.

The absolute cheapest phone available direct from Moto is $45.99...
Are you saying the 2 are equivalent? I just need a very basic phone so I can keep track of Dear Son...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:02 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I think all this talk is confusing. Just get a cheapie from Walmart or Target, try your SIM. If it doesn't work return it. I think there is one at Walmart for 20 bucks.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7731301
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:05 pm
Homebody

Thanks Guys........... you all are being soooooo helpful!

I'll be happy to repay the favour if anyone needs advice on anything to do with opera
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:06 pm
Riding on silver wings

Thanks Guys........... you all are being soooooo helpful!

I'll be happy to repay the favour if anyone needs advice on anything to do with opera
Better yet, how about an item or two from your stash.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Are you saying the 2 are equivalent? I just need a very basic phone so I can keep track of Dear Son...
No, not identical, I'm just saying they are a good deal.

It's like when you sign up for a 2-year contract with T-Mobile or whoever, and they give you a "free" phone. Funnily enough, they cost more than $0.00 to make T-mobile absorb the cost of the phone initially. But it draws you in and they get there money back over time.

Moto can't actually build a phone for $20. AT&T subsidise the phone on the shelf in Walmart, since it's assumed you'll use the pay as you go SIM they include in the box. You are then meant to give them mucho $$$ over the years as you top it up, and they get back what they put in to the phone.

Nothing to stop you from throwing the pay as you go SIM in the bin and using the SIM you already have though (so long as it's AT&T also)

Like ugacrew says, this may be more detail than is strictly necessary! Just be happy that a marketing tactic from a major corporation might actually work in your favor for once!
Old Apr 9th 2008, 5:27 pm
Homebody

No, not identical, I'm just saying they are a good deal. .........Just be happy that a marketing tactic from a major corporation might actually work in your favor for once!
Thank you, Darling.......... I am very happy indeed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.