Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need a cheap cell phone...

Need a cheap cell phone...

Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:09 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Need a cheap cell phone...

Okay, so one of my sons has lost his phone :curse:

I've got a replacement chip but need a very basic phone (reconditioned is fine).

I've been searching online but am not getting anywhere...

HELP please........ suggestions welcome......... ta muchly
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:42 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need a cheap cell phone...

Originally Posted by Elvira
Okay, so one of my sons has lost his phone :curse:

I've got a replacement chip but need a very basic phone (reconditioned is fine).

I've been searching online but am not getting anywhere...

HELP please........ suggestions welcome......... ta muchly
You need to look for a phone that's been unlocked. Have you tried eBay? Better yet, who's your cell provider? If it's Tmobile then I might be able to help you with a basic one.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:46 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You need to look for a phone that's been unlocked. Have you tried eBay? Better yet, who's your cell provider? If it's Tmobile then I might be able to help you with a basic one.

Thanks - but I'm afraid it's Cingulair/AT&T.

Never tried eBay - always felt more secure buying from established companies rather than individuals.
Old Apr 8th 2008, 11:56 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks - but I'm afraid it's Cingulair/AT&T.

Never tried eBay - always felt more secure buying from established companies rather than individuals.
I'd do eBay if you are looking for something super cheap until you can get a freebie under your contract with Cingular. I have a feeling that that's what you are doing at the mo. I would search eBay for UNLOCKED GSM CELL PHONE SIM and if you'd like specify the brand and see what you get. Check there first and of course look at the seller rating. If you don't find one there then you might try finding out if renewing your contract with them will get make you eligible for AT&T rebates.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 12:09 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

These have been recommended to me, but I have no personal experience with them:

http://www.myworldphone.com/
http://www.mobilebee.com/

I think that you'll find plenty of other shops just like these.

Any unlocked GSM phone will do. Be sure to get a triband or quadband if you need a handset that will work in Europe.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

ebay for a cheapo unlocked phone...plenty of other sites out there though

I've got an old, still nice sonyericson triband that's sitting around, but the charger is borked, well the cable for it, so not much help to you I'm afraid.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:12 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

To clarify a possible misunderstanding, there are legitimate retailers that sell new products on eBay. You can use it to buy used goods from random individuals, of course, but you have other choices as well.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
To clarify a possible misunderstanding, there are legitimate retailers that sell new products on eBay. You can use it to buy used goods from random individuals, of course, but you have other choices as well.
aye, that's what I meant, also check out yahoo stores, and if on facebook, check the marketing section as there's usually stuff for sale...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:29 am
Riding on silver wings

Just don't fear eBay. I've used it myself to undercut the market on tech toys and haven't been disappointed. Just pay attention to the Seller Rating and feedback that they've gotten. I've known many people to buy computer parts, cell phone accessories, Mac accessories, and so forth with no issue.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:34 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Just don't fear eBay. I've used it myself to undercut the market on tech toys and haven't been disappointed. Just pay attention to the Seller Rating and feedback that they've gotten. I've known many people to buy computer parts, cell phone accessories, Mac accessories, and so forth with no issue.
From the stores, they tend to be solid, it's the individuals you've got to watch out for... and with phones, that's going to be important so you don't pick up something that some scrote has half inched
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:37 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Bob
From the stores, they tend to be solid, it's the individuals you've got to watch out for... and with phones, that's going to be important so you don't pick up something that some scrote has half inched
Oh yeah. I always look for one that has a store front integrated int eBay. I also look for items that are listed NIB. I then look at the ratings and how many transactions they've have. At the end I use Paypal so I'll have some recourse in case a transaction goes bad. Paypal is fantastic for that.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:40 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

...At the end I use Paypal so I'll have some recourse in case a transaction goes bad. Paypal is fantastic for that.
really? I thought paypal sucked the proverbial goat, especially since it became a part of ebay for that sort of stuff...
Old Apr 9th 2008, 1:43 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Bob
really? I thought paypal sucked the proverbial goat, especially since it became a part of ebay for that sort of stuff...
There is some recourse for purchases. I haven't ready any issues relating to it sucking the proverbial goat. That's not to say your viewpoint is false.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

it's Cingulair/AT&T.
Worth double checking (or just return it if it doesn't work) but when you buy a pre-paid deal phone locked to AT&T, it will work for the post-pay SIM card you use also. This is a great way of picking up a cheap phone. Just throw away the pay as you go SIM.

Here's one at good ole' Walmart for $19.27.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7731301
Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:32 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by hobbes79
Worth double checking (or just return it if it doesn't work) but when you buy a pre-paid deal phone locked to AT&T, it will work for the post-pay SIM card you use also. This is a great way of picking up a cheap phone. Just throw away the pay as you go SIM.

Here's one at good ole' Walmart for $19.27.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=7731301
She might have bought a SIM card under her annual plan. Elvira, which SIM do you have?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.