British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need British Shop in NC!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-british-shop-nc-384924/)

footiemum Jul 14th 2006 2:31 pm

Need British Shop in NC!!!!!

Hiya Everyone!
I just found this site as I was searching for a British shop near Wilmington, NC. I live in Myrtle Beach and my mum and I drive down to Charleston every few months to get our PG Tips supply.
We're driving tomorrow, but I want to visit Wilmington instead. We can't go there unless we can find somewhere to replenish our stock of those wonderous pyramids!
PLEASE...anyone know of anywhere between Myrtle Beach and Wilmington?
Ta very much!

Tolos Jul 14th 2006 3:10 pm

Re: Need British Shop in NC!!!!!

Originally Posted by footiemum
Hiya Everyone!
I just found this site as I was searching for a British shop near Wilmington, NC. I live in Myrtle Beach and my mum and I drive down to Charleston every few months to get our PG Tips supply.
We're driving tomorrow, but I want to visit Wilmington instead. We can't go there unless we can find somewhere to replenish our stock of those wonderous pyramids!
Ta very much!

Have you considered the possibility of openiing your own? Good turn into a nice little business...especially if you can hook your American neighbors on the delights of Branston Pickle, HP Sauce and Tetley!

Tbag Jul 14th 2006 3:25 pm

Hiya Everyone!
Ta very much!

Hi and welcome!

Stop ........Don't drive to Charleston Wilmington has most of what you need!
By the way welcome neighbor too...... I am a stone throw from you :)

Harris Teeter in Wilmington has PG tips pyramids Heinz baked beans, and some various other preserves etc..... curry stuff popadoms etc...
Mayfair Town Centre, a new pedestrianised outdoor shopping mall, has a store called World Market. You can get lots of Brit goodies here, chocolate, biscuits, custard, branston, salad cream etc..... They run sales on this stuff alot and the product changes/rotates monthly. Also "Temptations" is an international/gourmet grocer they have random Brit stuff too.
Lighthouse Beer & Wine in Wrightsville beach will order British booze by the case, Infact I am headed that way to pick up my case of Woodpecker cider this weekend! :beer:

In Little river the "Cockney Cheddar" British pub, has local Brits hanging around now and again if you get the craving and "Vinny" lovely Cockney Lad owns it and is a star!
There are a few more us us here in the Wilmington area 4 or 5 I think it would be nice to get a meet up organised.
One more thing the "purple onion" in Shallotte NC on the way to Wilmington is a nice little Cafe, great food owned by Brits
Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need more info/directions.

footiemum Jul 14th 2006 3:31 pm

If I had someone willing to finance it...I would in a minute, chuck! Trust me...I've definitely thought about it :)

Originally Posted by Tolos
Have you considered the possibility of openiing your own? Good turn into a nice little business...especially if you can hook your American neighbors on the delights of Branston Pickle, HP Sauce and Tetley!

footiemum Jul 14th 2006 3:35 pm

oooh...ta very much!!!!

I just rang up me Mum and she is foaming at the mouth :D I'd much rather drive to Wilmington. I just ordered our PG Tips online (www.britishdelights.com) and we got 4 packs of 240 for only $63!!! What a steal! We're still looking to get some this weekend, though...you can't have enough!

That information is great and we'd really like to stop in that caf on our way up to Wilmington. If you could give me directions, that would be brilliant.
I've been to Cockney Cheddar and Vinny is lovely. I wrote for Coastal Carolina Dining Magazine and wrote about them a few times. Unfortunately, they didn't pay their bill and we had to pull their article! :confused: Hopefully business has picked up for them, though.

A meet up sounds wonderful, too!!!

Originally Posted by Tbag
Hi and welcome!

Stop ........Don't drive to Charleston Wilmington has most of what you need!
By the way welcome neighbor too...... I am a stone throw from you :)

Harris Teeter in Wilmington has PG tips pyramids Heinz baked beans, and some various other preserves etc..... curry stuff popadoms etc...
Mayfair Town Centre, a new pedestrianised outdoor shopping mall, has a store called World Market. You can get lots of Brit goodies here, chocolate, biscuits, custard, branston, salad cream etc..... They run sales on this stuff alot and the product changes/rotates monthly. Also "Temptations" is an international/gourmet grocer they have random Brit stuff too.
Lighthouse Beer & Wine in Wrightsville beach will order British booze by the case, Infact I am headed that way to pick up my case of Woodpecker cider this weekend! :beer:

In Little river the "Cockney Cheddar" British pub, has local Brits hanging around now and again if you get the craving and "Vinny" lovely Cockney Lad owns it and is a star!
There are a few more us us here in the Wilmington area 4 or 5 I think it would be nice to get a meet up organised.
One more thing the "purple onion" in Shallotte NC on the way to Wilmington is a nice little Cafe, great food owned by Brits
Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need more info/directions.

Tbag Jul 14th 2006 3:41 pm

If I had someone willing to finance it...I would in a minute, chuck! Trust me...I've definitely thought about it :)

Hi again, Just thought of another.......
As you can tell I have done a great deal of researching on this stuff and have tried to sus out all the good places at our disposal! :D

Lowes food (just opened in Little river) this week, has crumpets, and has a fair selection of UK beer too ..............
Also the Barnes and Noble in Wilmington has a better selection of UK magazines
most of the BBC mags, Good Food, Home magazines etc........
Nice to flick thru now and again.

Tbag Jul 14th 2006 3:44 pm

oooh...ta very much!!!!

I just rang up me Mum and she is foaming at the mouth :D I'd much rather drive to Wilmington. I just ordered our PG Tips online (www.britishdelights.com) and we got 4 packs of 240 for only $63!!! What a steal! We're still looking to get some this weekend, though...you can't have enough!

That information is great and we'd really like to stop in that caf on our way up to Wilmington. If you could give me directions, that would be brilliant.
I've been to Cockney Cheddar and Vinny is lovely. I wrote for Coastal Carolina Dining Magazine and wrote about them a few times. Unfortunately, they didn't pay their bill and we had to pull their article! :confused: Hopefully business has picked up for them, though.

A meet up sounds wonderful, too!!!

Okay, I am going to send you a personal message with further directions etc....... it might take a few mins but check your inbox in about a half hour
look forward to talking with you more!

footiemum Jul 14th 2006 3:51 pm

Tbag- you're a diamond!!!!!!!!
I drove past Lowes Foods the other day, as a matter of fact. Whole Foods sells PG Tips (which is why we go to Charleston) and so I thought they might have them because they're like WF. Rang them up yesterday and no tea bags, but they offered to try and get them in stock!

Looking forward to speaking with you too!

I can't wait! I thought we were so secluded from real grub and oooh...CRUMPETS...and...Daddies Sauce...want that, too!

Originally Posted by Tbag
Okay, I am going to send you a personal message with further directions etc....... it might take a few mins but check your inbox in about a half hour
look forward to talking with you more!

magilla442 Jul 14th 2006 5:40 pm

Tina, I replied to your PM before i got to this thread, so apologies, but there is a lowes foods at monkey junction too, I will have to go down there later, the thought of crumpets!!! OMG

And I'm up for a meet-up, just say where and when, as long as yankee spouses are allowed!! She would kill me otherwise :)

Tbag Jul 14th 2006 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by magilla442
Tina, I replied to your PM before i got to this thread, so apologies, but there is a lowes foods at monkey junction too, I will have to go down there later, the thought of crumpets!!! OMG

And I'm up for a meet-up, just say where and when, as long as yankee spouses are allowed!! She would kill me otherwise :)

You can find the crumpets in the Refrigerator cabinets......
I think they are a Canadian product and the plain ones are lovely, they have several versions :D

NC Penguin Jul 15th 2006 2:13 am

Hiya Everyone!
Ta very much!

Williams in Lumberton (at the Farmers Market there) is right on the NC/SC border. As well as their pork products,they sell British foodstuffs. Search for their website and contact details and call them to see if they have what you're looking for.

NC Penguin

footiemum Jul 17th 2006 11:31 am

Well, we had a lovely visit to Wilmington and made it home with a supply of PG Tips, Lion Bars, Double Deckers, Hobnobs and some HP Sauce. Lovely Jubbly.
Ta for the recommendations! Oh Tbag-we stopped at The Purple Onion and had a bite to eat before we got to Wilmington. It was delicious food, but the Air Conditioning was buggered and it was HOT in there!!! :eek:

I love Mayfaire Town Centre....we'll be going back soon!

Tbag Jul 17th 2006 12:16 pm

Well, we had a lovely visit to Wilmington and made it home with a supply of PG Tips, Lion Bars, Double Deckers, Hobnobs and some HP Sauce. Lovely Jubbly.
Ta for the recommendations! Oh Tbag-we stopped at The Purple Onion and had a bite to eat before we got to Wilmington. It was delicious food, but the Air Conditioning was buggered and it was HOT in there!!! :eek:

I love Mayfaire Town Centre....we'll be going back soon!

Glad you had a great time and found some home comforts :D
I love mayfaire too it's a nice change of scene from the beach shopping, plus nice to be in a real "town" with the downtown area.....
Sorry to hear about the AC at the P/onion!

Back to work........... :(

Pony Jul 17th 2006 9:08 pm

My wife says the only differences between British shops and US shops:

1) Add a minimum of 50% to all price's.
2) Ship unripened produce in giant containers and 'ripen' in a warehouse, ensuring any flavor is ruined.
3) Give products pompass names to prove your superiority (she quotes aubergine and eggplant as an example).

Its hard to argue with any of her comments, any suggestions :rolleyes:

Ta very much!

footiemum Jul 17th 2006 9:16 pm

Hmmmm....let's see- the American teabags have absolultely no flavor whatsoever worth savoring; there is no American equivalent to HP Sauce or Daddie's sauce (unless you pour malt vinegar into some A1 sauce ;) ), English Heinz baked beans are nothing like the American Heinz..how does that work, anyway? They aren't, though....English ones are so much tastier to my tastebuds. Chocolates...well, milky English chocolate has no equal on this side of the Atlantic and lastly, the most exotic flavor of American potato chips are "dill pickle"....can't touch prawn cocktail, smokey bacon or cheese and onion :D

Originally Posted by Texas_Dave
My wife says the only differences between British shops and US shops:

1) Add a minimum of 50% to all price's.
2) Ship unripened produce in giant containers and 'ripen' in a warehouse, ensuring any flavor is ruined.
3) Give products pompass names to prove your superiority (she quotes aubergine and eggplant as an example).

Its hard to argue with any of her comments, any suggestions :rolleyes: