British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-bbc-radio-two-four-car-possible-468592/)

uktoamerica Jul 24th 2007 2:15 pm

Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 
If I want BBC world service or Radio One I can subscribe to Sirius satellite radio but when it comes to BBC radio Two and Four - I am stuck. You can listen to them online at home via the Internet but is it possible to listen to these radio stations in the car?

I have e-mailed XM and Sirius and they have no plans to add these stations so....

Is there a cell phone out there that can stream real audio and costs less than $20 a month to run? That is the only way I can think of doing it... maybe getting an FM transmitter for it and picking up the signal via the radio....

Any other ideas? I need my BBC fix! :thumbsup:

Adnams Jul 24th 2007 2:20 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by uktoamerica (Post 5099333)
If I want BBC world service or Radio One I can subscribe to Sirius satellite radio but when it comes to BBC radio Two and Four - I am stuck. You can listen to them online at home via the Internet but is it possible to listen to these radio stations in the car?

I have e-mailed XM and Sirius and they have no plans to add these stations so....

Is there a cell phone out there that can stream real audio and costs less than $20 a month to run? That is the only way I can think of doing it... maybe getting an FM transmitter for it and picking up the signal via the radio....

Any other ideas? I need my BBC fix! :thumbsup:

Think you're out of luck, World service has to suffice for us in the car at the moment wtih an XM to go thingy.
I am sure there are mobiles that can stream but they probably cost a fortune for the web airtime.
We stream through a wireless system at home so at least we can take the speakers anywhere in the garden and any room in the house and are not tied to a laptop or a desk top. Are you missing Steve in the afternoon and ask Elvis???

franc11s Jul 24th 2007 2:25 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 
There are cheaper unlimited data plans for PDA's / Cells. I pay $40 BUT you can do a lot more than just radio.

I have the Verizon AudioVox XV6700... Since it's an internet device you can get virtually anything on it. Verizon's 3G network, I often see 600k + Since I also have a UK SKY+ box connected to a sling box, I effectively get all the UK TV channels live (and recorded) too.

I also can link back to my home PC's using ORB and can access my thousands of photos/video's/MP3's live too. SOund connects through any typical adapter.

$40 a month for wireless (almost anyway) fast internet is very valueable to me for business and pleasure.

penguinsix Jul 24th 2007 2:33 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 
You could stream rip an hour or two worth of programming before you get up and then take it in via an iPod and play it back in your car. Not live, but pretty close.

Adnams Jul 24th 2007 2:36 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by franc11s (Post 5099384)
There are cheaper unlimited data plans for PDA's / Cells. I pay $40 BUT you can do a lot more than just radio.

I have the Verizon AudioVox XV6700... Since it's an internet device you can get virtually anything on it. Verizon's 3G network, I often see 600k + Since I also have a UK SKY+ box connected to a sling box, I effectively get all the UK TV channels live (and recorded) too.

I also can link back to my home PC's using ORB and can access my thousands of photos/video's/MP3's live too. SOund connects through any typical adapter.

$40 a month for wireless (almost anyway) fast internet is very valueable to me for business and pleasure.

I've seen a lot of posts on here about bbc sky and slingboxes. Forgive my ingnorance but what exactly is a slingbox? And how does it hook up to pick up UK TV. Do you have to subscribe to Sky, which wont have match of the day will it? Okay I am a bit of a technie novice but if I could work out someway to get Match of the day and Test match special for the OH it would make his year especially if I can pick it up on the TV and not the pc.

Duncan Roberts Jul 24th 2007 3:21 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 
Slingbox is cool. Its basically a box that sits between your TV and the TV signal and plugs into a high speed internet connection. It essentially takes the TV feed and streams it to an address and you pick it up via the slingbox software on your computer. To do it with sky, it would have to have the sky feed going into it. A lot of people in my office hook it up to their TV at home and watch whatever on a second monitor at their desk. Sky will have match of the day because it broadcasts all the standard channels as well as the sky ones.

Bob Jul 24th 2007 3:27 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5099447)
I've seen a lot of posts on here about bbc sky and slingboxes. Forgive my ingnorance but what exactly is a slingbox? And how does it hook up to pick up UK TV. Do you have to subscribe to Sky, which wont have match of the day will it? Okay I am a bit of a technie novice but if I could work out someway to get Match of the day and Test match special for the OH it would make his year especially if I can pick it up on the TV and not the pc.

There's a thread called slingboxes that explains it...but basically you need someone in blighty who'll be willing to hook it up, and have broadband...and they need dual tuners or they might not be to impressed with you changing channels on them :lol:

Adnams Jul 24th 2007 3:39 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5099670)
There's a thread called slingboxes that explains it...but basically you need someone in blighty who'll be willing to hook it up, and have broadband...and they need dual tuners or they might not be to impressed with you changing channels on them :lol:

Okay that sounds way too complicated for me. When OH is out I cant even get our surround sound music system thing to work. Cheers anyway.

uktoamerica Jul 24th 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5099353)
Are you missing Steve in the afternoon

Yes ;)

Although I like the way Sirius delays the transmission by 5 hours for Radio One so at least you get the breakfast show in the morning! Just wish they would carry Two and Four and I will be happy.....

Thanks everyone else for the replies.... there must be a cheapo way to stream Real Audio via a mobile data plan...

Adnams Jul 24th 2007 4:24 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by uktoamerica (Post 5099893)
Yes ;)

Although I like the way Sirius delays the transmission by 5 hours for Radio One so at least you get the breakfast show in the morning! Just wish they would carry Two and Four and I will be happy.....

Thanks everyone else for the replies.... there must be a cheapo way to stream Real Audio via a mobile data plan...

40 smackers didnt sound bad further up the thread.

I cant stand that bloke that does the am show on Radio One so I am not missign out there but really really miss radio four but have it on at home all day long so dont miss much when out adn about in the car.

franc11s Jul 24th 2007 4:54 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 
isn't sprint $29 unlimited Data Plan ? It's all coming down in price....

www.orb.com is pretty cool and really simple. You could get someone in the UK to run orb for you on their machine, connect a TV tuner / Radio tuner....

There's lots of tech..... just nothing (other than slinging) that's packaged!

dinosaur Jul 24th 2007 5:27 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by uktoamerica (Post 5099893)
Just wish they would carry Two and Four and I will be happy.....

People occasionally pop up on Sirius Backstage suggesting they bring R2 and R4 here, so maybe it'll happen in the future. Wasn't there a BE member who was going to work at Sirius or interviewing there or something? Maybe he could influence things :). In any case, if the Sirius/XM merger goes ahead, it may free up bandwidth, but difficult to predict what will happen.

Personally make do with dumping R4 shows to mp3 to listen to in the car - would be nice if it were a bit easier though.

penguinsix Jul 24th 2007 6:29 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by dinosaur (Post 5100291)
Personally make do with dumping R4 shows to mp3 to listen to in the car - would be nice if it were a bit easier though.

I have a program called Audio Hijack which is pretty easy to set up. Allows timed recordings so I can grab certain programs or have a few hours of music in the morning.

Maz Jul 24th 2007 7:34 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 5099670)
There's a thread called slingboxes that explains it...but basically you need someone in blighty who'll be willing to hook it up, and have broadband...and they need dual tuners or they might not be to impressed with you changing channels on them :lol:

Or there's this service. We're not going to sign up as we'll be moving again soon, but maybe once we're in NZ we will. :thumbup: I've heard nothing but good things about this, though.

Adnams Jul 24th 2007 7:42 pm

Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?
 

Originally Posted by Maz (Post 5100740)
Or there's this service. We're not going to sign up as we'll be moving again soon, but maybe once we're in NZ we will. :thumbup: I've heard nothing but good things about this, though.

Hmmmm might have to invest in that. The kit's not cheap though is it? But no such thing as a free lunch. Will have to run by OH


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:01 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.