Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?

Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:48 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need BBC radio Two and Four in the car - possible?

thetelly does look fantastic but I'm gulping at the equipment costs and the rates, especially with the weakness of the dollar against the pound.

For now UKNova will have to do....
Old Jul 24th 2007, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Based on 13 month minimum service contract...and it's as dodgy as they come, it's re-broadcasting which means they could get shut down at anytime and you'd be out of your money...
Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:48 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I subscribe to the Radio 4 today show podcasts, shove them on a USB memory stick, and use a USB MP3 FM transmitter (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3579125) to listen to them on the drive to work.

[Well I used to do this until I found that the local NPR news station broadcasts the BBC World service every morning, which I now prefer due to the absence of set-piece political arguments. They still cover the UK when anything of international consequence happens...]
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by uktoamerica
If I want BBC world service or Radio One I can subscribe to Sirius satellite radio but when it comes to BBC radio Two and Four - I am stuck. You can listen to them online at home via the Internet but is it possible to listen to these radio stations in the car?

I have e-mailed XM and Sirius and they have no plans to add these stations so....

Is there a cell phone out there that can stream real audio and costs less than $20 a month to run? That is the only way I can think of doing it... maybe getting an FM transmitter for it and picking up the signal via the radio....

Any other ideas? I need my BBC fix!
Apple Iphone - $20 a month on top of your cell bill for unlimited email and web
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

uktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to all

rew1000: Now that is a GREAT idea, with a super link too! Thank you!

Big D: Too expensive for me Plus I didn't know the iPhone could stream Real Player streams?
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

rew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud ofrew1000 has much to be proud of

I really like the VR3, especially the price, but two caveats :
1. Like all FM-transmitting solutions, the results will vary depending on what's on the FM spectrum in your area (and may change on long drives). You do have a choice of a few frequencies, and it works OK for me.
2. It has very little brain - you can't pause, fast forward or rewind, just skip through .mp3 files on the USB drive one at a time. If you cut off the power, you're back to square one. You can always plug in a proper MP3 player, but I'm too cheap to buy one, and the USB drive fits on my keyring...

Last edited by rew1000; Jul 24th 2007 at 10:35 pm. Reason: repetition
Old Jul 24th 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Big D: Too expensive for me Plus I didn't know the iPhone could stream Real Player streams?
yep full safari browser but you're right not cheap
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:46 pm
Critical Circuits

Terminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of lightTerminal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rew1000
I really like the VR3, especially the price...
Hehe, funny you bring up that particular model. I got one of my friends in the US to buy me one and ship it to the UK about a year ago, before the UK started making similar transmitters. I've since misplaced it - must dig it out again.

The law is different in the UK regarding broadcasting over the FM frequency, but it's flouted and ignored for the most part.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Great thread. This forum at its best -- loads of interesting suggestions. And it's nice to think that there are lots of others who are bending over backwards to find ways of listening to Radio 4 etc.

I download the Radio 4 and FiveLive podcasts (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/waystolisten/podcasts) and listen to those in the car, plugging my MP3 player into the cassette player. A cassette with a wire to your MP3 player is very cheap now; you can easily pick it up for $5 or so from all over the place.

I tried an FM transmitter but mine was useless -- had to be right next to the aerial for it to work. Nearly crashed the car when I tried to adjust it one time. But it was cheap ($15). I am interested to hear about the VR3, but I think I'll stick with my cassette and wire for now, which works like a dream -- never drops.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

uktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to alluktoamerica is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Big D
yep full safari browser but you're right not cheap
Well that would be the most perfect solution then... at a cost... but when you consider what else comes with it - it's a pretty sweet deal. I will wait to the end of the year to see if the price drops...

Until then - it's the FM transmitter Wally World special for me!

(thanks for the suggestions btw!)
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goodacre
I download the Radio 4 and FiveLive podcasts (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/waystolisten/podcasts) and listen to those in the car, plugging my MP3 player into the cassette player. A cassette with a wire to your MP3 player is very cheap now; you can easily pick it up for $5 or so from all over the place.
I used the cassette thingy all the time in the UK for other things but my Dodge Stratus car only has a CD player and radio with no input jack... so yes, FM transmitters are far from perfect but it will have to do (can you tell I am on a budget hehehe)
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by penguinsix
I have a program called Audio Hijack which is pretty easy to set up. Allows timed recordings so I can grab certain programs or have a few hours of music in the morning.
Sounds like a good idea as the podcasts are not the full programmes it seems....need to find something for my PC that can do timed recordings
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:48 am
Forum Regular

Goodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to allGoodacre is a name known to all

Sounds like a good idea as the podcasts are not the full programmes it seems....need to find something for my PC that can do timed recordings
It depends which podcast you are talking about. Several of the Radio 4 podcasts are the full programmes, e.g. Start the Week, Broadcasting House, File on 4, Radio 4 Choice Podcast. The only one I can think of that is not the full programme is Today, where they have the morning briefing (6.30-6.50 am, roughly), the 7.50 interview, the 8.30 interview and the 8.10 interview. But you wouldn't want the full programme at 3 hours worth.

Some of the other podcasts for other channels are highlights programmes, including the Daily Mayo (one of my favourites), which is the choice guest of the day, usually c. 20 minutes. I'd also recommend Mark Kermode's movie reviews, which is also available as a podcast.

There are, of course, lots of programmes not available to download from the BBC, but for the best of those, e.g. I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, one can go to UKNova or TheBox.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:20 pm
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

I used the cassette thingy all the time in the UK for other things but my Dodge Stratus car only has a CD player and radio with no input jack... so yes, FM transmitters are far from perfect but it will have to do (can you tell I am on a budget hehehe)
I do the same as my heap of junk has no audio inputs. Most trips I end up retuning it a couple of times
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:26 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Goodacre
I'd also recommend Mark Kermode's movie reviews, which is also available as a podcast.
That should have read vodcast. Speaking of vodcasts, anyone else dabbling with these? They were mentioned in a recent thread in another forum. I am quite enjoying BBC Breakfast Takeaway, but on yesterday's episode they announced that it was only a trial and that this is the last week. I've also been watching PMQs, Panorama and Best of the Ten, all worth downloading.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.