British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need Advise plz (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-advise-plz-406150/)

airborne83x Nov 5th 2006 1:26 am

Need Advise plz - Foreigner Issues

Hey there all
I have 2 questions. I'm a Perm. Resident (just got AOS approved) and started working when i got my EAD 2 1/2 months ago. I'm the only foreigner at this company and they are acting very weird with me. I do 5 people's job and still i see no happiness in them.
I'm afraid that they can fire me for no reason. They claim that they do not have to give any reason to fire me at this 90 day rule. What if they really fire me on the 89th day?

Question 1 = Do i have right or something against this foreigner issue?
Question 2 = Can i open a business now (Got my Greencard)? Bank Credit etc or it's all a lie

Dan725 Nov 5th 2006 1:39 am

Re: Need Advise plz

1. Probably but try to prove it
2. Yes

Thydney Nov 5th 2006 1:42 am

Re: Need Advise plz - Foreigner Issues

Originally Posted by airborne83x
Hey there all
I have 2 questions. I'm a Perm. Resident (just got AOS approved) and started working when i got my EAD 2 1/2 months ago. I'm the only foreigner at this company and they are acting very weird with me. I do 5 people's job and still i see no happiness in them.
I'm afraid that they can fire me for no reason. They claim that they do not have to give any reason to fire me at this 90 day rule. What if they really fire me on the 89th day?

Question 2 = Can i open a business now (Got my Greencard)? Bank Credit etc or it's all a lie

you can open a business yanks hate all foreigners (inferiority complex) and will sack anyone so **** em and get on with your life.

airborne83x Nov 5th 2006 2:03 am

Originally Posted by Thydney
you can open a business yanks hate all foreigners (inferiority complex) and will sack anyone so **** em and get on with your life.

How do i get any financial help. I applied for a credit card even denied.. they ask for deposit or minimum payment..
Went to Car dealer even, they wont give me anything due to my no credit record.

This company does not even hire women. <-- I will report them 1 day after i leave and get a better job

gardnma Nov 5th 2006 2:22 am

Originally Posted by Thydney

They don't hate foreigners, they just don't understand them because, as everyone knows by now, there is nowhere outside of America worth living in.

Elvira Nov 5th 2006 2:26 am

How do i get any financial help. I applied for a credit card even denied.. they ask for deposit or minimum payment..

This company does not even hire women. <-- I will report them 1 day after i leave and get a better job

Stop blotting your copy-book by applying for credit that you have no chance of getting. Read this:

http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...nce-in-the-us/

gardnma Nov 5th 2006 2:32 am

Hey there all

OK, serious answer.

You have basically no rights as an employee in 99% of this country. My mentality now is a job holds no more emotional tie than which color socks I pick out in the morning. If you are getting no positive signals back....well.
I have never been self employed, so I wont steer you wrong. I do know, however, that its all about credit scores.
Good luck.

NC Penguin Nov 5th 2006 4:17 am

Hey there all

Check the Department of Labor website for employee rights in your state.

If you've just started working in the US, you need to start immediately on working to develop a positive credit score. Please read the FAQ in this forum about credit in the US.

NC Penguin

Bob Nov 5th 2006 11:58 am

Re: Need Advise plz

On the off chance that this isn't a wind up...

EAD doesn't matter now you've a greencard.

Being fired, depends on where you live, chances are, you have no rights and they don't need to give you a reason or a notice...but if they do give you a notice, check your contract...where the missus works part time, they don't need to do the 2 weeks notice, but if they do, they can continue to use the discount for 2 weeks after leaving and can apply for a job with company or subsidary companies in the future, not working notice means you'll be blanked by the corporation, which happens to own many retail chains.

As for finance...best bet would be looking for a venture capitalist that'll invest in you because you won't have much chance of getting a loan, less chance without a job and credit history...but if you've never run a restaurant it might be work working for one first to see how they are run, because most tend to go out of business quite quickly because it takes a while before you can realise your investment...

Patrick Hasler Nov 5th 2006 2:54 pm

Go to your bank and get a secured credit card to start your credit history.. They may want a $500 deposit but it's worth it to get going.
You should shop around for a car dealer that will finance you, I did when I first came here and the main ford dealer got me approved.

paddingtongreen Nov 6th 2006 12:55 am

Hey there all

I ran into something similar, many years ago. It turned out that they thought that I and the other immigrants didn't have to pay US taxes. They may think you have advantages over them. After a discussion, when they found that we were paying the same and more, because the first (part) year, you can't use standard deductions. Perhaps, if you asked one where to get information on the taxes because you had heard that you might not be able to use the standard deduction, it would remove that as a cause. You'll have to use your judgement on that, it might just be prejudice on their part

Rete Nov 6th 2006 1:49 am

What in your mind constitutes weird behavior?

Hey there all

BigDavyG Nov 6th 2006 1:54 am

Originally Posted by Rete
What in your mind constitutes weird behavior?

Tough love.... :rolleyes: