Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need advice in visiting new york ...

Wikiposts

Need advice in visiting new york ...

Old May 21st 2007, 8:03 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute
Question Need advice in visiting new york ...

We planning to visit new york sometimes during xmas times. It would be first time visit both for both of us.

How long do you think is enough to have alook around the city?

Can anyone recommend the area which is central to stay?

And can you recommend places to visit that we must visit and can not miss it?

Thank you in advance.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:40 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice in visiting new york ...

Originally Posted by novita77
We planning to visit new york sometimes during xmas times. It would be first time visit both for both of us.

Thank you in advance.
Firstly do a search for New York as several people...incl Lionheart and Partystar...had long weekends in NYC. Lionheart was there during the last half of 06 and Partytstar a few months ago.

The weather at that time of year can be absolutely brutal...so you will need warm clothing...leaving as little exposed skin as possible.

Edit: Partystar's thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416529

Lionheart's thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395159

These 2 threads should cover most of your questions.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 21st 2007 at 8:47 am.
Old May 21st 2007, 8:54 am
semarang

novita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond reputenovita77 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Firstly do a search for New York as several people...incl Lionheart and Partystar...had long weekends in NYC. Lionheart was there during the last half of 06 and Partytstar a few months ago.

The weather at that time of year can be absolutely brutal...so you will need warm clothing...leaving as little exposed skin as possible.

Edit: Partystar's thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=416529

Lionheart's thread.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395159

These 2 threads should cover most of your questions.
Jersey girl ... thank you very much for the link. I am going to have a look now. Probably it won't be a good idea going there in the winter. Will have to discuss it again with the other half.

Good nite.
Old May 21st 2007, 9:00 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Don't let me put you off with the weather...it can be quite mild but it can be brutally cold. NYC at Christmas is magical...there is nowhere quite like it.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:26 am
Banned

Haggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond reputeHaggerwood has a reputation beyond repute

I was there for one night in March and I saw the Empire State building from Manhattan island and as it didn't seem to far away I started heading towards it. Once I got nearer I couldn't see it because nearere buildings blocked my view and all the people I stopped to ask claimed they didn't know where it was which I found a little strange. In the end I eventually found it after about an hour of walking so my tip would be to get a guide book.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by haggerwood
I was there for one night in March and I saw the Empire State building from Manhattan island and as it didn't seem to far away I started heading towards it. Once I got nearer I couldn't see it because nearere buildings blocked my view and all the people I stopped to ask claimed they didn't know where it was which I found a little strange. In the end I eventually found it after about an hour of walking so my tip would be to get a guide book.
The best views of Manhattan are from NJ.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:38 am
Banned

leonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond reputeleonatlanta has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you in advance.
my first visit and i really had culture shock! i'd been living in the foothills of the appalachian mountains for 3 years and seeing just hills and hardly any people. then i went to NYC. overwhelming, skyscrapers and its pretty gloomy within the city (sue to the skyscrapers blocking out the light). plus it was a few days after muslims had blown up london, so i was a bit anxious with any future trouble in NYC. but the people were friendly, they offered sympathy for the recent london massacre which was nice. but we got in a taxi and the guy got lost, he took us around until my wife put him on the phone to our friend and she tried to direct him but he got pissed off and threw us out in a rather dodgy puerto rican neighbourhood in brooklyn or the bronx i think? we had to walk to a restaurant with our bags, (too many hollywood films and UK scare stories about high NYC crime made me very nervous) 6 hours later we were walking those same streets, drunk to hell and relaxed. crime is low, lower than london or most major british cities, murder is high though! but just dont join any gangs or get involved in drugs for your brief vacation and you will be fine.

personally i'm done with massive cities, i prefer the country, my little boxing gym and fishing, plus one or 2 pubs.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:40 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I just typed a whole post and lost it! Many of my friends come to New York in December, it is GREAT. The bad weather is usually Jan and Feb. There are musts. You must skate at one or all of the three great rinks, Rockerfella, Bryant Park and the Walman rink, all within a mile of each other and all on 5th!
[/IMG]

Last edited by veronica jayne; May 21st 2007 at 10:43 am.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:44 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
I just typed a whole post and lost it! Many of my friends come to New York in December, it is GREAT. The bad weather is usually Jan and Feb. There are musts. You must skate at one or all of the three great rinks, Rockerfella, Bryant Park and the Walman rink, all within a mile of each other and all on 5th!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ckerfeller.jpg[/URL]
We've spent Christmas and NY Eve in NYC and the cold has been bone numbing. Granted the last few year's weather has been mild.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:45 am
British New Yorker

veronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond reputeveronica jayne has a reputation beyond repute

Just the walk down 5th Ave at Christmas is worth coming for. Shaddup Jerseygirl, it is magic here at Christmas.

[/IMG]
Old May 21st 2007, 10:46 am
Account Closed

southern comfort is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you in advance.
Staten Island ferry. Ellis Island. Lady Liberty.5th Ave shopping. Broadway just for starters
Old May 21st 2007, 10:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by veronica jayne
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ckerfeller.jpg[/URL]
Err magical?? That's what I said in post #4.
Old May 21st 2007, 10:48 am
British New Yorker

We've spent Christmas and NY Eve in NYC and the cold has been bone numbing. Granted the last few year's weather has been mild.

So, it is YOU doing it, stay out Christmas week then and give us a break, lol We mostly have nice Decembers. Nobody in ANY city can guarantee the weather
[/IMG]
Old May 21st 2007, 10:49 am
British New Yorker

Err magical?? That's what I said in post #4.

OK, I'll let you off, I read the view is best from New Jersey post
Old May 21st 2007, 10:51 am
British New Yorker

There are amazing shops at discount prices, lousy service but the prices can't be beat, like Century 21 (opposite World Trade Center, or rather were is was) TJ Maxx, I bought a $300 Liz Claybourne suitcase yesterday for $59.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.