Reload this Page >

Need advice from other mums - winter clothes

Need advice from other mums - winter clothes

Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:37 am
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need advice from other mums - winter clothes

Hi,

I really hope I can get good help from other Mums, especially those that living in the very cold place like Chicago.

We're going to have our house hunting trip this end of March. The weather forecast shows that it's still extremely cold to us, those people coming from sunny country (there is no rain in the last couple months), only sun.

We don't really have winter clothes or winter boots. My 2 children, 6 yrs old girl and 5 yr old boy haven't been experience a cold winter before. I see so many options on Amazon or Target but not sure what to get to make sure they're warm during our house hunting, in and out of car and home.

Can you please advise me what brands (medium range) as they will grow out of it by next winter for boots, jackets, etc...? It was advised to get wool socks but which brand for children are best?

I'm going to order online and get them send to the hotel. We arrive at the airport, get picked up and straight to hotel. It's safer that option than taking everyone to the malls to shop.

Thanks so much in advance.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:46 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice from other mums - winter clothes

If you are talking Chicago cold then I would recommend a strong base layer of long underwear, tops and bottoms, but that is really more for February than say late March. Late March will see say 10c or so, which really isn't Winter. But if you need, a pair of long underwear will really help keep you warmer such that you don't have to go out and buy the latest Arctic tundra gear. Long underwear, a sweater, and a jacket (or two). Layers are always good as if it gets too hot you can take some off.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/chi...weather/348308
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Greetings from Maine

I would definitely recommend L.L.Bean over other brands. They are spendy, but you get what you pay for and those clothes last and are warm. Everything is on sale right now and you might even get free shipping.

March would be a bit warm for snow pants and even boots I would say, but a lightweight down jacket would be a good idea. I hear that Chicago is windy, so maybe invest in some wind pants and an insulated rain jacket too.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Greetings from Maine

I would definitely recommend L.L.Bean over other brands. They are spendy, but you get what you pay for and those clothes last and are warm. Everything is on sale right now and you might even get free shipping.

March would be a bit warm for snow pants and even boots I would say, but a lightweight down jacket would be a good idea. I hear that Chicago is windy, so maybe invest in some wind pants and an insulated rain jacket too.
Thanks so much for taking your time to advise me. When you said warm March, is it from your point of view that you're used to cold weather. For us, we are from Asia. I need to ensure my kids and even myself are all wrapped up warmly. For us 16 degree Celsius considered cold.

I wish we could delay the trip till summer then we will start fall, then winter, we would have more time to prepare ourselves but we can't.

Anyway, I'll check out L.L Bean.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 12:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest, since the temperature swing is going to be so extreme its unlikely that anything will really stop you being cold, more like it will stop you causing harm to yourself. For this trip I would look at Old Navy because you will be able to get a lot of winter stuff at low prices and layers are what you need. Don't forget hats that cover your ears, thermal gloves and things like good moisturizers for face, lips and hands and possibly sun glasses. Steer away from denim, it will get very, very cold and go for lined bottoms, ideally wind resistant ones. A short sleeves t-shirt, ling sleeved t)shirt, sweatshirt and coat should work well and from a place like Old Navy will be affordable and not make you look like the Michelin Man! Keep in mind that the wind can be far worse than the temperature do the more wind resistant things you can get the better. Old Navy isn't top notch stuff but it's really good for layering, is pretty cheap and has some good winter items.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

How long is the trip and how much time do you expect to actually spend outside?

The last few days I've gone from car to house to car to work to car. Yes it's cold (3F right now) but if you're only outside in it briefly then you don't need to worry so much about getting cold.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kins
How long is the trip and how much time do you expect to actually spend outside?

The last few days I've gone from car to house to car to work to car. Yes it's cold (3F right now) but if you're only outside in it briefly then you don't need to worry so much about getting cold.
It will be a one week trip to look at different suburbs. Then 10 days later, we will be back for good "2 years"
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
....... Don't forget .... things like good moisturizers for face, lips and hands .....
That is very good advice. I have had no problem keeping warm despite a winter of close to record breaking cold where I live (a long way south and east of Chicago), but despite mostly staying in doors, not getting wet, commuting in my car, and wearing gloves, I did get horribly chapped/ dry/ cracked hands, so bad they looked like they were scratched like I had dragged the back of my hands along a brick wall) and I should have known better as it happened to me before, back in the UK.

This stuff is great: Norwegian formula hand cream.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 4th 2014 at 3:09 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:13 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I echo the long underwear (tops and bottoms) suggestion for the whole family. These are not bulky, so you can put other normal winter clothes on over them. When the kids are inside, if they get too hot, they can strip off the outer layers and still be decently-dressed.

Warm hats, mittens, scarves, and thick socks are essential. Footwear is more difficult to buy ahead of time--you may need to try these on. I found my good old wellies from home to work well until I found the right American boots.

Also agree with the LL Bean suggestion--great stuff!

Last edited by WEBlue; Mar 4th 2014 at 3:16 pm.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minhan
It will be a one week trip to look at different suburbs. Then 10 days later, we will be back for good "2 years"
In that case you may as well buy a good range of warm weather gear - I'd go slightly large so the children can wear it next year too.

I tend to buy...
LLBean coats
LLBean or Lands End snowpants (my kids are all different shapes so I get whatever fits each one best)
Bogs are great boots because they're warm as well as waterproof, but they are expensive - at this stage in the season I'd say just buy some cheap ones because your kids will have grown out of them by next winter.
LLBean/Lands End ski gloves (Lands End do a deal where if you lose one you can buy one rather than a pair)
Fleece lined hats that cover the ears from Old Navy
Long undies from LLBean

LLBean have an excellent returns policy... I think Land's End probably do too.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:40 pm
Northern Monkey!

jibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond reputejibsymalone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski

This stuff is great: Norwegian formula hand cream.
http://omgobsessed.com/wp-content/up...hand_cream.jpg
I second that, Mrs Malone's hands get really dried and cracked in the severe Florida winter (she would fall apart up north i am sure) and this stuff clears them right up, she swears by it.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Need advice from other mums - winter clothes

We had been living in Singapore for 51/2 years when my spouse transferred to his employer's office in New York City.

Singapore has an equatorial climate (it is only 85 miles north of the equator) so it is hot and steamy all year round, with the monsoon season being wetter and afternoon storms. The temperature is coolest in Dec-Jan but the coldest temperature never drops below 75F. When you live in a climate like this, the blood thins.

We went out on a look-see to New York and New Jersey in early April. I remember feeling frozen and just wanted to get on a plane straight back to Singapore!

The previous Summer we went to England during the Summer. I remember feeling absolutely frozen when on a sunny day the temp only got to 72F and I wanted to put a gas fire on....meanwhile my aunt was complaining how hot and humid it was (barely any humidity at all lol!).

I don't know if the O/P may have a problem trying to order items with a non-US credit card billing address when it isn't an international shipping (delivery) order? I only ever seem to have luck with Amazon.com - however you can also order clothes on Amazon so this may be a solution if the O/P has problems with LL Bean, Land's End (Sears) etc.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 7:52 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

For kids, I wouldn't bother with LL Bean. It's great quality, but very expensive and they out grow it, but you can find it in the outlets or second hand for cheap when you've got a bit of time. Worth it for rucksacks though.

For adults, the boots and gloves are definitely worth getting though!

It's all about layering though, because it might be cold outside, but as soon as you hit a building, you'll roast and want to take things off.

Leggings, especially snow pants are handy (especially for kids which can kick them off in the car), but around March, you could pick those up for a few bucks on clearance for the kids. We got ours last year for this year on Target clearance for about $4 instead of $40.

Also look at Old Navy and Gap for both you and the kids.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
For kids, I wouldn't bother with LL Bean. It's great quality, but very expensive and they out grow it, but you can find it in the outlets or second hand for cheap when you've got a bit of time. Worth it for rucksacks though.

For adults, the boots and gloves are definitely worth getting though!

It's all about layering though, because it might be cold outside, but as soon as you hit a building, you'll roast and want to take things off.

Leggings, especially snow pants are handy (especially for kids which can kick them off in the car), but around March, you could pick those up for a few bucks on clearance for the kids. We got ours last year for this year on Target clearance for about $4 instead of $40.

Also look at Old Navy and Gap for both you and the kids.
Bob, I have to disagree with you on the LL Bean thing. You're right, it's more pricey but the quality and warmth of the clothing makes the price totally worth it if you live in a brutally cold place like Maine or Chicago. I search sales and also take comfort thatI can pass down boots, snow pants and jackets to younger siblings. I have experimented recently with Lands End and have found their stuff to be slightly cheaper than LL Bean but not as good quality, snow pants get tears in knees, gloves tear etc. I have three children and have tried all the brands. LL Bean is the best imo.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Bob, I have to disagree with you on the LL Bean thing. You're right, it's more pricey but the quality and warmth of the clothing makes the price totally worth it if you live in a brutally cold place like Maine or Chicago. I search sales and also take comfort thatI can pass down boots, snow pants and jackets to younger siblings. I have experimented recently with Lands End and have found their stuff to be slightly cheaper than LL Bean but not as good quality, snow pants get tears in knees, gloves tear etc. I have three children and have tried all the brands. LL Bean is the best imo.
I tend to agree with Bob. At that age the cheaper stuff works out better in the short term and save the good stuff for later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.