Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Need advice about which visa to get and which steps to take

Need advice about which visa to get and which steps to take

Old Nov 7th 2011, 6:09 am
Just Joined

naomi712 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Need advice about which visa to get and which steps to take

Hello everyone, I've been lurking around here for a while and have learned a lot about the process of what it's like and what it took for you guys to emigrate from the UK to other countries. My boyfriend and I are in a situation of our own and would love for your opinions

My boyfriend and I met almost 9 months ago online and have been corresponding online every day and know that we want to spend our future together. We met last summer and spent a week together. He's from the UK and I'm from the US. Spending time together was great but very expensive. Right now, we could probably only afford enough to see each other once a year at this point. We've discussed things and have decided that he would come to the US to live with me. We want to get married but not right away but we want to be together within the next two years or so. What options could we take and what are the pros and cons of each as it pertains to our situation? And what steps would we need to take? We're looking for a cost effective way to get together if possible before marriage. Thank you so much for reading this and for hopefully providing insight
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:18 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Need advice about which visa to get and which steps to take

If you've been lurking around a while then could you help by giving a bit of an indication about what you've learned so far so we don't have to start from scratch. Posts from people in your circumstances are common, so maybe you've read some of those?
Old Nov 7th 2011, 10:29 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Since you don't want to get married just yet, which of the following visas would he qualify for:

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pulask...ork_in_the_USA

Last edited by penguinsix; Nov 7th 2011 at 11:06 am.
Old Nov 7th 2011, 12:44 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomi712
We want to get married but not right away but we want to be together within the next two years or so.
In that case, I suggest that in a year from now, you submit an I-129F to begin the process so that he can get a K-1 visa about 9-12 months afterwards.

We're looking for a cost effective way to get together if possible before marriage.
Unless he can find an employment-based visa, it's simply not going to happen. There is no "live with my girlfriend for a while visa"... or, as we more commonly say here, this isn't Burger King.

Ian
Old Nov 7th 2011, 2:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well the link for the ways in and the visas has been posted.

If you don't want to get married now, it's either a job based or study based, neither of which are all that easy for one reason or another.

That leaves you trying to move to the UK, or both meeting up in a third country. He might have the workers holiday visa option for Canada and you could possibly go TN visa route if you qualified, that'd get a year or two together.