British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need Advice (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-advice-904535/)

Llanthony Oct 13th 2017 9:14 pm

Need Advice

We will soon begin the immigration process for my husband, and I get how that works but I need some help with other things.

I and my son are US citizens and I have lived in the UK for 20 years, we are now looking to move to the states in a year or so. I have been married to a UK citizen for 6 years.

We are planning to sell everything here and buy a house in the Chicago suburbs, where I am from. I will be buying in cash and as I have no US credit history and I have pets who are coming with us, so I prefer to buy. We will also be starting a small business a few months after we arrive, so there is no employer. We have enough to do this in cash but the budget is tight. I have read the forums and I'm having trouble with information on the following.

Can I as a US citizen open a US bank account while living abroad? If I need a local address can I use a family members address as my own? I have kept no ties to the US while I have been gone, but I have filed income tax returns.

We have a lot of stuff we are moving back with us, not all furniture but business equipment we have gathered while learning our trade. As well as furniture and books, which are coming with, it would cost me more to replace them and some of it can not be replaced anyway. Do I need to have a moving company pack for me due to immigration of the household goods? Is it best to just hire a large company? Is there a way to pack it all myself without being at the port when it arrives?

Can I just walk into a car dealer ship in the US and buy a car? Will I be able to insure it? Do I need a US license in order to get insurance? Do I need a bill in my name to get a license? Will a bank statement do if I can get an account?

Is there a how to book out there that is in depth on any of this? I find very basic information and all the immigration information but nothing for someone moving back.

Do I need to worry about the banks and where I put the money from the sale of property? Is transferwise the best bet to move cash? Has anyone used their bank accounts? Is there a offshore safe account that will allow me to transfer money into dollars when I choose? Transferwise have a £250,000 limit a year though and we have slightly over that. Can I purchase a house by transferring directly to the title company or will the funds need to be in my own bank first?

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

tom169 Oct 13th 2017 9:21 pm

Re: Need Advice

Hi and welcome. I'll do my best to answer/give opinion on what I can.

I will say that I recommend you gain UK citizenship. There is no downside to it and you can be a dual US/UK citizen. It will give you the option to easily move back to the UK in the future without having to prove financial support or anything else. Definitely something to consider prior to your move back to the US.

Originally Posted by Llanthony (Post 12360552)
Can I as a US citizen open a US bank account while living abroad? If I need a local address can I use a family members address as my own? I have kept no ties to the US while I have been gone, but I have filed income tax returns.

I believe their is no law that prohibits this, but it will be at the discretion of the bank. See the PATRIOT act.

We have a lot of stuff we are moving back with us, not all furniture but business equipment we have gathered while learning our trade. As well as furniture and books, which are coming with, it would cost me more to replace them and some of it can not be replaced anyway. Do I need to have a moving company pack for me due to immigration of the household goods? Is it best to just hire a large company? Is there a way to pack it all myself without being at the port when it arrives?

I believe Pulaski has experience of DIYing this. Sorry I do not know.

Can I just walk into a car dealer ship in the US and buy a car? Will I be able to insure it? Do I need a US license in order to get insurance? Do I need a bill in my name to get a license? Will a bank statement do if I can get an account?

Buy a car - yes. Licence to get insurance - no. Bill in your name to get a licence - check state DMV. Each state has its own driving laws.

Is there a how to book out there that is in depth on any of this? I find very basic information and all the immigration information but nothing for someone moving back.

BritishExpats has a large wiki section, but I doubt it offers specific information for Chicago.

Do I need to worry about the banks and where I put the money from the sale of property? Is transferwise the best bet to move cash? Has anyone used their bank accounts? Is there a offshore safe account that will allow me to transfer money into dollars when I choose? Transferwise have a £250,000 limit a year though and we have slightly over that.

Hopefully someone can help you with this. My only advice is tell the bank in advance and be prepared to prove the source of the funds (house sale) so that it is not held on suspicion of money laundering.

Can I purchase a house by transferring directly to the title company or will the funds need to be in my own bank first?

When I bought a house I needed a cashier check from my bank account to the attorney that was closing the sale. They then distributed the funds.

Llanthony Oct 13th 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you for the fast reply, I will be getting UK citizenship before I leave for the reasons you stated. My son has done this and it was simple its just a cost issue right now they want a small fortune.

RICH Oct 13th 2017 11:57 pm

Can I purchase a house by transferring directly to the title company or will the funds need to be in my own bank first

I do know that "some" title companies will accept wires from overseas banks. In my work I see wire instructions that include that info - IBAN etc. I do not know if there are restrictions on the circumstances where that it is allowed. I would shop around Title /Escrow companies and ask. There are thousands to choose from - National chains to Mom and Pops. Chicago Title Insurance Company comes to mind as a big one!

Having said that, if you are "paying cash" ie no mortgage, maybe you can just deal with the seller direct. (My experience is in sending wires from mortgage lenders to title companies, within US)

For my mortgage, I had to get a cashiers check for the "Earnest Money", but a wire for the closing costs.

tom169 Oct 14th 2017 12:40 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12360606)
For my mortgage, I had to get a cashiers check for the "Earnest Money", but a wire for the closing costs.

So did I. Oops. :o

carcajou Oct 14th 2017 12:41 am

I have opened and maintained bank accounts while overseas - it is at the discretion of the bank and my accounts use a US address. It is OK.

The 250,000 pound transfer limit - if that is imposed by the financial institution - can usually be waived for a one-off after talking with them.

Nutmegger Oct 14th 2017 1:59 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 12360606)
I do know that "some" title companies will accept wires from overseas banks. In my work I see wire instructions that include that info - IBAN etc. I do not know if there are restrictions on the circumstances where that it is allowed. I would shop around Title /Escrow companies and ask. There are thousands to choose from - National chains to Mom and Pops. Chicago Title Insurance Company comes to mind as a big one!

Having said that, if you are "paying cash" ie no mortgage, maybe you can just deal with the seller direct. (My experience is in sending wires from mortgage lenders to title companies, within US)

Perhaps this is state specific, but here in CT, for instance, the title company sells title insurance and has nothing to do with any escrow or purchase monies. That is handled by the purchaser’s attorney in accord with the contract of sale.

RICH Oct 14th 2017 2:36 am

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 12360640)
Perhaps this is state specific, but here in CT, for instance, the title company sells title insurance and has nothing to do with any escrow or purchase monies. That is handled by the purchaser’s attorney in accord with the contract of sale.

True. From what I have seen, except for New England, Title companies do everything. Attorney not required.:lol:

petitefrancaise Oct 14th 2017 2:47 am

We will soon begin the immigration process for my husband, and I get how that works but I need some help with other things.

I and my son are US citizens and I have lived in the UK for 20 years, we are now looking to move to the states in a year or so. I have been married to a UK citizen for 6 years.

We are planning to sell everything here and buy a house in the Chicago suburbs, where I am from. I will be buying in cash and as I have no US credit history and I have pets who are coming with us, so I prefer to buy. We will also be starting a small business a few months after we arrive, so there is no employer. We have enough to do this in cash but the budget is tight. I have read the forums and I'm having trouble with information on the following.

You need an address. Family member's should be fine.

ask Pulaski.!

Are you looking for credit to buy the car? that would be the tricky point with no US credit history. Look at International Autosource, Mazda foreign resident program or VW International business program. You do not need a US license but it will be cheaper with it. Get and International Driving Permit from the UK, that helps. Also ask your current UK insurer's for no claims history and contact GEICO. To get a license look at the Illinois driving license requirements. I know all about Texas sorry.

I'm writing it!!!! In the meantime, I honestly think this forum is the best place to get advice.

Do I need to worry about the banks and where I put the money from the sale of property? Is transferwise the best bet to move cash? Has anyone used their bank accounts? Is there a offshore safe account that will allow me to transfer money into dollars when I choose? Transferwise have a £250,000 limit a year though and we have slightly over that. Can I purchase a house by transferring directly to the title company or will the funds need to be in my own bank first?
We used WorldFirst for our money to buy a house here. Get quotes but almost definitely don't use your bank for the transfer. You would need to have the funds in your bank.

Any help or pointers greatly appreciated.

don't know why but BE said my message was too short. strange. never been accused of brevity before...

Pulaski Oct 14th 2017 2:52 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12360647)
don't know why but BE said my message was too short. strange. never been accused of brevity before...

Because you inserted all your additions between the [QÜOTE] and the [/QÜOTE], so it looked like a quote with no additional post by you. :)

zzrmark Oct 16th 2017 1:05 am

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12360647)
Get and International Driving Permit from the UK, that helps.

How exactly does a translation of an English driving licence into, erm, English help?

petitefrancaise Oct 16th 2017 1:09 am

It gives the insurance companies all the information they need in a format they know about.

zzrmark Oct 16th 2017 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12361788)
It gives the insurance companies all the information they need in a format they know about.

I forget that their English is sub-par here!