British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Need advice... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/need-advice-332058/)

Pigtails Oct 18th 2005 5:01 pm

Re: Need advice...

[QUOTE=anotherlimey]

Originally Posted by Pigtails

You can type?

That too ;)

Pigtails Oct 18th 2005 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Look at that...thats beautiful....a lefty and a righty coming together and agreeing over a simple human cause ~sniff~ brings tears to my eyes...lets hold hands across America like they did in the 90's.....Kum-By-Ah My Lord Kum-By-Ah

Alright, don't push it! :rolleyes:

:p

BritGuyTN Oct 18th 2005 5:23 pm

I have two problems with your situation

1. Ultimatums
2. "Paying for everything"

Marriages are not supposed to be one way relationships, its about compromise

She seems extremely naive financially, or as another poster mentioned she is looking for a get out.

If you were unemplyed or a contractor etc in the UK then it would be less to give up, but your business lends a different light

I think you should, as another poster suggested, tell her to get a job in NYC (known around the world as a cheap place to live) and then follow her out there

good luck whatever you do

Bob Oct 18th 2005 6:43 pm

Thought about a long holiday in the US?

How is she going to afford to move over on her own? How will she be able to pay rent without a job while looking? how will you be able to afford to live without working etc....lot to think about...and don't forget medical will be a major burner unless you get luck with a half decent job...

snowbunny Oct 18th 2005 6:56 pm

Just out of curiosity.... how old are you guys? Is there a significant age difference between you?

Partystar Oct 18th 2005 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
To be honest, I think she's looking for excuses to leave you.
This ultimatum sounds like her escape route and that way in her head when she leaves you for the USA she can feel less guilty about dumping you.

I second this, I was thinking the same thing when I first read your post. This might not be the case, but it would be worth while to ask her, maybe not right out, but just try to delve a bit deeper to see what she is really thinking.

AmerLisa Oct 18th 2005 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Thank you for the further insight ... it becomes quite clear that you are a bit of a cuckold ...try to be the man ... tell her its your way or she is down the highway ...

:rolleyes:

I'm the American citizen in our relationship and I understand about living in the UK and being homesick.....cue my followers/admirers/fans. :D Although I really wanted to move back for family reasons and I also thought I wanted to be back here. I can't ever imagine giving my husband such an ultimatium, regardless of how homesick I was.

But, after reading your posts, I'm just wondering if you don't already know the answer to your question/dilemma?