Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nearly Tax Time - Emmigrating halfway through the year

Nearly Tax Time - Emmigrating halfway through the year

Old Nov 11th 2003, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

datcha is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nearly Tax Time - Emmigrating halfway through the year

Sorry to bring it up but its nearly tax time here in the US and I thought I'd launch a pre-emptive strike to find out what some of you guys have done in similar situations as to what we are in this year.

Both of us (USC + UKC) emmigrated to the US in September of this year blah blah blah. Last year we were able to file the 1555 on top of the 1040 as my wife (USC) was living + earning all her income outside of the US.

This year we are now both here but I believe we won't be able to use the 1555 as we weren't out of the US for 330 days or whatever. So I guess we'll just be filing a 1040 (probably married/file jointly) with little to no income on it.

Finally, and I know that none of you are tax experts so just want some guidance really, my question:

Will we have to include any income from the UK earned in the first part of this year before we emmigrated on our tax forms? Especially as I wasn't US resident until after I stopped earning in the UK!
Old Nov 11th 2003, 10:55 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nearly Tax Time - Emmigrating halfway through the year

Originally posted by datcha ..... Finally, and I know that none of you are tax experts so just want some guidance really, my question:

Will we have to include any income from the UK earned in the first part of this year before we emmigrated on our tax forms? Especially as I wasn't US resident until after I stopped earning in the UK!
So far as I understand the tax rules in the US they are similar to those in the UK and you do not include money that you earned while you were outside the US and before you became a US resident. This is of course different once you have become a US resident - then you do have to include foreign earnings.

BTW don't forget to file for a refund in the UK as you will have unused personal allowance for the later part of the 2003/04 tax year when you were not resident in the UK.
Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

whatever will become famous soon enoughwhatever will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by Pulaski
So far as I understand the tax rules in the US they are similar to those in the UK and you do not include money that you earned while you were outside the US and before you became a US resident. This is of course different once you have become a US resident - then you do have to include foreign earnings.

BTW don't forget to file for a refund in the UK as you will have unused personal allowance for the later part of the 2003/04 tax year when you were not resident in the UK.

I've been reading this thread... the word TAX sends my head reeling! Sorry to be a bagoon but when does the US tax year start?

I wondered if anyone could throw a little light my way on this... I entered the US July 03 and became a PR. I left again soon after and will be entering again next week for just one week - my Husband will become a PR on this trip. Hopefully things will go to plan and we will finally move to the US Early Spring. Am I right in thinking that we will both have to file tax forms AND will they be seperate, even though we are married as my Husband would have become a PR 4 months after me?
Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Pulaski

Yeah I kinda figured it was gonna be that way, just wondering now if I/we're gonna get hit for a full year of tax to pay in the US when we're probably only gonna earn a few 000's in wages between September and the end of the year.

Already got my refund from the UK, a nice few quid to help me on my way
Old Nov 11th 2003, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally posted by whatever
I've been reading this thread... the word TAX sends my head reeling! Sorry to be a bagoon but when does the US tax year start?
Tax year here is from January 1st to December 31st and (except for extensions or businesses) all filing must be complete by April I think.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by datcha
Tax year here is from January 1st to December 31st and (except for extensions or businesses) all filing must be complete by April I think.

April 15th is the deadline for filing taxes- unless you apply for an extension.
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:38 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Taffyles
April 15th is the deadline for filing taxes- unless you apply for an extension.
Yes, and the buggers keep it a secret. The week of the 15th they never mention it, not once!

Patrick
Old Nov 12th 2003, 2:50 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by whatever

I wondered if anyone could throw a little light my way on this... I entered the US July 03 and became a PR. I left again soon after and will be entering again next week for just one week - my Husband will become a PR on this trip. Hopefully things will go to plan and we will finally move to the US Early Spring. Am I right in thinking that we will both have to file tax forms AND will they be seperate, even though we are married as my Husband would have become a PR 4 months after me?
You really need to consult a tax accountant (a proper one, not that H&R Block place, or similar discount tax prep businesses) as there are several alternatives that may make a significant difference to the tax you pay, and they know about all the possible deductions, of which there are many.

It may cost you a couple of hundred dollars to get an accountant to prepare your returns for you, but believe me, it is money well spent.