Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Near Houston

Near Houston

Old May 14th 2004, 3:52 am
Forum Regular

Britdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud ofBritdrinker has much to be proud of

Veryfunny - have you ever been to Dallas or Austin etc? could that be a change of pace for you?
I'm a Brit who lives in Austin. Been here four years now and love it. I lived in Dallas previously and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The wife is from Houston and we visit often, and if you know where to go you can have a great time. One thing I can tell you for sure, is that Dallas, Houston and Austin are completely different cities. Austin in particular, is hardly Texan at all. Email me privately if you want more info!
Old May 14th 2004, 4:29 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

I've lived in Dallas nigh on six years. Can give anybody willing to read my insight on it from an Australian point of view.
Old May 14th 2004, 6:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Yosser
I haven't got as far as Houston yet, but to be honest I really don't hear too many great things about the place? all I hear its humid, and the roads are full with nutters! I'm guessing if your from the london area, Houston would not be your kind of city, me being a from a sleepy seaside town found Dallas to be a complete cultre shock, but I think I have adjusted pretty well and I feel completley at ease with my surroundings.

Veryfunny - have you ever been to Dallas or Austin etc? could that be a change of pace for you?
Thanks, Houston get humid,floods and yes mad drivers. I have been to Forth Worth, Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, kingsville etc. We came to Houston because we thought I would get a job in my field here or at least something close to my profession. Not a sausage!

If I am to move Cali is most likey the place. SoCali or NOcali do not know yet.

Humble is a very nice place but only to visit.
Old May 14th 2004, 6:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Britdrinker
I'm a Brit who lives in Austin. Been here four years now and love it. I lived in Dallas previously and I wouldn't wish it on anybody. The wife is from Houston and we visit often, and if you know where to go you can have a great time. One thing I can tell you for sure, is that Dallas, Houston and Austin are completely different cities. Austin in particular, is hardly Texan at all. Email me privately if you want more info!
Thanks, I have been to Austin okay place but I still would not like to live there plus there have no to few jobs in the pharmaceutical/IT field.
Old May 14th 2004, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

kazzyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

I am pleased I am not the only one that dislikes Houston... Once we move we won't be coming back ...well maybe for a visit ....mother in law lives in humble
Old May 14th 2004, 4:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by kazzyuk
I am pleased I am not the only one that dislikes Houston... Once we move we won't be coming back ...well maybe for a visit ....mother in law lives in humble
This is the forth largest city in the country and yep I cannot wait to get out.
Old May 14th 2004, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

luxusmonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there....

I have lived in Houston for 4 years now and I can't wait to get out of here neither.....The city has good things going for it,mainly that it's cheap,very cheap compared to most of the interesting cities/metropolitan areas.....besides that ..horrible traffic and weather,can't stand hearing any more ad with the word texas in it...
Old May 14th 2004, 6:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by luxusmonk
Hi there....

I have lived in Houston for 4 years now and I can't wait to get out of here neither.....The city has good things going for it,mainly that it's cheap,very cheap compared to most of the interesting cities/metropolitan areas.....besides that ..horrible traffic and weather,can't stand hearing any more ad with the word texas in it...
lol lol I am not alone things are cheap here because few people want to live here. We have had so much rain in the passed days that some people have no electricity.

Did you read about the 1.89bn short fall in the public pension fund?

The make up for that has to come from somewhere, probably the tax payer, increase in water rates and an increase in cost of parking tickets fines etc.
Old May 15th 2004, 2:09 am
Just Joined

kazzyuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by veryfunny
Texas is not for me it just not as awake like London or California, I feel it has more to do with my personality.

I would classify myself as a free thinker rather than a collective thought thinker.
My wife is an Texan and she feels the way I do there just seems to be a restictive way of thinking or doing things here. Also in Houston there are a lot of careless drivers, downtown Houston is dead after 7pm

Where in London did you live ...I used to live in Letchworth Herts a few years back ...How long have you been here over in the States
Old May 15th 2004, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by kazzyuk
Where in London did you live ...I used to live in Letchworth Herts a few years back ...How long have you been here over in the States
I grew up in london several places, been here since last last yr.