Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

NBC's Olympic coverage sucks a big one

NBC's Olympic coverage sucks a big one

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 4:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NBC's Olympic coverage sucks a big one

Originally Posted by MisBish
NBC=American Network.

sorry folks but that is the plain truth. You are in America, and watching American TV, you are going to see the American team and the stories of their lives.

It makes laugh to think that somewhere in Thailand there is some person whining "I can't believe all I'm seeing is the Thai teams and their stupid sob stories..."

We expect them to show American performances- nothing wrong with that. We don't expect to see the sob story of every flaming medal contender (these can take up to 30 mins of airtime EACH that could be spent on showing the flipping events!). We don't expect to see lengthy profiles of past Olympic champions, who aren't bloody competing this time. We don't need engineered attempts to dramatise things- the Olympics creates its own drama....the broadcasters just don't get it.
The last three Olympics there's been a storm of protest about the broadcasting here...and they still don't get it! People want to see the events it's that simple. There's enough airtime to show about 75% of the events but its wasted on irrelevant attempts to make it more entertaining and to keep people watching...they simply can't grasp the concept that the Olympic events are entertaining enough as they are and always, without fail, produce high drama...that can't be bloody scripted.
The US coverage sucks big time and drives people who appreciate the sports nuts.
The next Olympics I'm timing my trip home to watch it on the BBC- who do a magnificent job of covering the whole competition.

Last edited by Taffyles; Aug 23rd 2004 at 4:32 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 5:56 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

While watching the women's marathon yesterday, I got to the point where I was fully prepared to throw something at the telly if the commentator reffered to the Japanese winner as a "hydroplane with a V8 engine" one more time.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 7:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I did enjoy watching the womens high dive yesterday. The lady who was commentating must have been one great diver, because she was being way to over critical on just about every dive.

I don't mind NBC focusing on the Americans. As I've said before, I just want to see some live action and the odd medal ceremony.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 10:17 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

It's better than the coverage they get in Egypt. I was over there during the Barcelona games of 92. For the full 2 weeks they had 24 hour coverage of the weight lifting room... which was empty for the most part.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 11:38 pm

cuckoofrommars is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dgsyd1
While watching the women's marathon yesterday, I got to the point where I was fully prepared to throw something at the telly if the commentator reffered to the Japanese winner as a "hydroplane with a V8 engine" one more time.
I'm not that bothered now - was irritated at first about the predominantly US coverage just because I wanted to see how the Brits were doing - watched a fair bit of CBC (Canada). But that changed - Manc is right - I've wathced plenty of other countries and complete events suc has rowing and water polo that had zero US interest.

The thing that started to piss me off was the holier than thou attitude of some of the commentators on both NBC and CBC regards gymnastics and swimming. The US commentators were evil to everyone in the gymnastics. They seemed to want to make everyone out to be complete cack. And the Canadian commentators whinging about swimmers not talking to them was very annoying. They even asked one who did talk to them why swimmers odn't talk to them! Duh!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 12:53 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

It's not getting any better - I can't find any mention of the women's 800m final anywhere in NBC's schedules. It sounded like a fantastic race as well.

And while I was in a moaning mood yesterday I was tempted to fire off a quick one to the BBC asking them to stop their over-use of the phrase "crashes out" on their wesbsite every time an athlete doesn't do as well as was expected. It's starting to get on my tits.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:04 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Extensive coverage of the women's beach volleyball, ladies gymnastics and the diving event. We know which part of the body the NBC execs do their thinking with.

Token coverage interrupted by adverts and a 15 minute in profile build up of an American in a 30 second race.
Somehow NBC managed to suck the life out of the whole thing and I'll echo everyone else - I miss the Beeb at times like this.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 4:38 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
Extensive coverage of the women's beach volleyball, ladies gymnastics and the diving event. We know which part of the body the NBC execs do their thinking with.

Token coverage interrupted by adverts and a 15 minute in profile build up of an American in a 30 second race.
Somehow NBC managed to suck the life out of the whole thing and I'll echo everyone else - I miss the Beeb at times like this.
12.37 am

800m final on now.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 1:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
12.37 am

800m final on now.
I get digital cable, which enables me to see the "supposed" schedule - they advertised the 800m final for Primetime (i.e., the 8-12 slot). I watched the whole flippin thing before going to bed at midnight. Why on earth would they not show the closest 800m final in ages on primetime?

THIS is what I think is so crap about NBC's coverage - you can't figure out what they're going to show, or when they're going to show it. You should at least expect to see the T&F finals during prime time coverage, IMHO.
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I get digital cable, which enables me to see the "supposed" schedule - they advertised the 800m final for Primetime (i.e., the 8-12 slot). I watched the whole flippin thing before going to bed at midnight. Why on earth would they not show the closest 800m final in ages on primetime?

THIS is what I think is so crap about NBC's coverage - you can't figure out what they're going to show, or when they're going to show it. You should at least expect to see the T&F finals during prime time coverage, IMHO.
Yep, especially the 800m! They didn't show it in Primetime because the American didn't medal probably....and the commentator had the cheek to call the crowd in Athens partisan LOL. The 800metres is a prestige track event- unbelievable that we had to hunt to find it. I watched NBC prime and had Tivo taping another channel and the video running on the bedroom telly, searched through this morning and found it on NBC's Late night show. Excellent race, four top class athletes fighting to the tape, thrilling stuff -one of the best in the Olympics so far...didn't manage to find any medal ceremony for it though...I guess that's too much to ask for
Old Aug 24th 2004, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Something that amazed me was one comentator saying what a disapointment the womans gymnasts must be feeling to lose the gold...the poor mights only got silver..boo hoo!
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:32 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

I checked the NBC website last night and it was scheduled to be shown during the 11pm to midnight slot. They obviously ditched to the late night because the american only came 7th.
The coverage of the Decathlon last night particularly pissed me off. Seems that there are only 2 competetors in the event (guess what nationality they are) Did anyone else notice the comentator say Tom Pappas would be coming to glory in Athens? Seemed a bit premature to think that, especially as he's limped out of the competition today .
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:35 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ladylisa
Something that amazed me was one comentator saying what a disapointment the womans gymnasts must be feeling to lose the gold...the poor mights only got silver..boo hoo!
When that young girl from Texas won a team silver in the first meet, the interviewer gave the poor lass a right grilling, you could tell the girl was totally taken back by it!

in the individual gymnastics, carly won gold, so hopefully she can tell the NBC interviewer to shove it up her arse....side ways

then after that "so Phelps, how does it feel to not beat the record of 8 golds in the swimming?"......I mean what the flip? the guy is only 19 and had to swim like 17 races and still ended up with more golds than team GB put together?
Old Aug 24th 2004, 5:51 pm
The fattest member

fatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to allfatman is a name known to all

was there olympics on? I didn't see it, guess I must have blinked between the adverts
Old Aug 24th 2004, 6:21 pm
Time Lord

dgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond reputedgsyd1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatman
was there olympics on? I didn't see it, guess I must have blinked between the adverts
I know what you mean. I keep expecting one of the announcers to say something like "We interrupt this commercial break to bring you 2 minutes of the Olympics".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.