Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Naturalized US citizen trying to renew UK passport

Naturalized US citizen trying to renew UK passport

Old Sep 30th 2016, 8:56 pm
Just Joined

srvince is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Naturalized US citizen trying to renew UK passport

Hello everyone -- I just discovered this forum and am hoping I can get a little information:

I became a naturalized US citizen in 2008...fast forward to now and I am trying to renew my UK passport (which expired in 2012). I was about to sign and send in the declaration form when I saw the bullet that said "this may result in losing citizenship of another country."

Do I have anything to worry about here? I thought dual citizenship between UK and USA was ok.

Thanks all
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:00 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Naturalized US citizen trying to renew UK passport

Originally Posted by srvince
.....I thought dual citizenship between UK and USA was ok.

Thanks all
No worries, no problem at all. Both the US and UK are totally fine with dual citizenship. I myself recently (earlier this year) renewed my British passport having naturalized as a US citizen in 2007.

Welcome to BTW. If you'd like to hang around, we're quite friendly, ..... well mostly we are.

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2016 at 9:02 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
No worries, no problem at all. Both the US and UK are totally fine with dual citizenship. I myself recently (earlier this year) renewed my British passport having naturalized as a US citizen in 2007.
Thanks! It's just a little scary seeing that. Especially with the current sentiment in the US.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Another thing that threw me off was that even though my passport only just expired in 2012 (red passport) the system told me I needed to use the 1st time application (meaning I needed countersignatory!). But I emailed the passport office and they told me that was a mistake and to just send in the documents for a renewal (photos and signed declaration).

This seemed like a much easier process in 2002.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 10:15 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

The USA cant take your UK citizenship away. A country might deny you citizenship, or it might not recognize that citizenship, but it has no power to take it away
Old Sep 30th 2016, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kimilseung
The USA cant take your UK citizenship away. A country might deny you citizenship, or it might not recognize that citizenship, but it has no power to take it away
I was more worried that the USA would revoke my USA citizenship based on renewing a UK passport.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 11:35 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I was more worried that the USA would revoke my USA citizenship based on renewing a UK passport.
A not unreasonable concern, but the USA doesn't do that, neither does the UK.
Old Sep 30th 2016, 11:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

The question is, unless you are repatriating back to the UK or traveling to a country hostile to the US is there really a need for the expense of renewing?
Old Oct 1st 2016, 12:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
The question is, unless you are repatriating back to the UK or traveling to a country hostile to the US is there really a need for the expense of renewing?
I am planning to start going home more frequently now...and my last trip through Heathrow was horrendous using a USA passport. Over two hours in a line of hundreds.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:01 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

I am planning to start going home more frequently now...and my last trip through Heathrow was horrendous using a USA passport. Over two hours in a line of hundreds.
Imagine that. Vetting foreigners entering the UK. Whatever next.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 2:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by RICH
Imagine that. Vetting foreigners entering the UK. Whatever next.
Fair point. I was just caught thinking myopically!
Old Oct 1st 2016, 12:12 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Fair point. I was just caught thinking myopically!
Your shiny new British ePassport will also let you use the ePassport gates unlike your old passports so a worthwhile investment for the next ten years if you plan on visiting the UK on a regular basis. It also makes life cheaper and easier travelling to the rest of Europe and certain other countries like Australia where you can obtain a free visa and use the electronic gates.
Old Oct 1st 2016, 4:02 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, my UK pp expires in 3 months. What are the price/convenience factors for renewing before expiry? I also have a US pp, and usually only travel abroad once every couple of years.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

I became a naturalized US citizen in 2008...fast forward to now and I am trying to renew my UK passport (which expired in 2012). I was about to sign and send in the declaration form when I saw the bullet that said "this may result in losing citizenship of another country."

Do I have anything to worry about here? I thought dual citizenship between UK and USA was ok.
Dual UK/US citizenship is allowed. My wife became a USC in 2005 and recently renewed her UK passport. Quick, easy and painless. She was able to use the renewal process. It's only a new application if you have one of the old blue passports. Also, DO NOT send your US passport in with your UK passport application. My wife sent in a photocopy of every page of her US passport.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Oct 6th 2016 at 12:47 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2016, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Dual UK/US citizenship is allowed. My wife became a USC in 2006 and recently renewed her UK passport. Quick, easy and painless. She was able to use the renewal process. It's only a new application if you have one of the old blue passports. ....
Even the new maroon EU style passports become stale eventually and renewal requires a de novo passport application. You can renew several years after your old maroon passport expired, but it doesn't work for ever.
Also, DO NOT send your US passport in with your UK passport application. My wife sent in a photocopy of every page of her US passport.
I forgot about that (I am also a USC), and didn't even send a copy of my US passport. It didn't stop my new British passport arriving on the eighth day after the application was mailed (mailed on Tuesday, returned on Wednesday the following week, sent and received in the UK).
Originally Posted by RICH
Actually, my UK pp expires in 3 months. What are the price/convenience factors for renewing before expiry? I also have a US pp, and usually only travel abroad once every couple of years.
Well the raining three months of validity (up to six months) will be added to the validity of your new passport - note, the US doesn't do that when renewing an unexpired passport.

If you only travel occasionally, do you even need a British passport, or is it just a "nice to have"?

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 6th 2016 at 1:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.