Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Naturalization times?

Naturalization times?

Old Sep 8th 2001, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

zero1 is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, I know it takes 3 years to become naturalized if I get permanent residency and married to a US citizen, but when does that time start from...
1. when I first came over to the US?
2. when I got married?
3. when I filed for permanent residency?
4. when application is completed?
Old Sep 8th 2001, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point

You can apply 3 years (you may submit the application at the 2y9mo point but you aren't eligible for your application to be processed until you pass the 3 year point) from when you became a permanent resident (i.e. received the I-551 stamp).

How long the naturalization process takes after that is dependent on your local INS office. I think most fall in the 1-2 year time spam, but there's a lot of variability.

Old Sep 9th 2001, 8:17 am
Michael Voight

zero1 wrote:
    >
    >
    >

The date you became a permanent resident (conditional or not) You apply 2 years and 9
months from this date. It would generally be 1 year and 9 months from the date the
passport I-551 stamp expires since it is normally good for one year after obtaining
permanent resident status.

Michael