Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Naturalization Process

Naturalization Process

Old Sep 5th 2002, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Sara Muller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Naturalization Process

I read on the INS website that you cannot apply for naturalization until you have been a resident for 5 years. My question is does that clock start ticking while you have a green card with restrictions (which expired after two years) or on my green card that lasts for ten years? I have been in the States since 1996, however, my permanent green card (10 years long) says I have only been a resident since August 2000. Does that mean I have to wait until August 2005 to apply for naturalization?

Thanks Guys
Old Sep 5th 2002, 6:28 pm
L D Jones

Default Re: Naturalization Process

Sara Muller wrote:
    > I read on the INS website that you cannot apply for naturalization until you have
    > been a resident for 5 years. My question is does that clock start ticking while
    > you have a green card with restrictions (which expired after two years) or on my
    > green card that lasts for ten years?

Yes. For this purpose a greencard is a greencard. The 'conditional' status
means nothing.

> I have been in the States since 1996, however, my permanent green card (10 years
    > long) says I have only been a resident since August 2000. Does that mean I have to
    > wait until August 2005 to apply for naturalization?

5 years since the date you became a permanent resident.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 6:34 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Sara Muller:
I read on the INS website that you cannot apply for naturalization until you have been a resident for 5 years. My question is does that clock start ticking while you have a green card with restrictions (which expired after two years) or on my green card that lasts for ten years? I have been in the States since 1996, however, my permanent green card (10 years long) says I have only been a resident since August 2000. Does that mean I have to wait until August 2005 to apply for naturalization?

Thanks Guys

Although you have been in the US since 1996, unless you entered the US as a [conditional] permanent resident the time between entry and approval for residency does not count. The naturalization clock starts the moment you were granted residency, conditional or otherwise. The length of the greencard does not mean anything.

Rete
Old Sep 5th 2002, 6:37 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Rete:

Thank you.

Although you have been in the US since 1996, unless you entered the US as a [conditional] permanent resident the time between entry and approval for residency does not count. The naturalization clock starts the moment you were granted residency, conditional or otherwise. The length of the greencard does not mean anything.

Rete
Old Sep 5th 2002, 10:42 pm
Aftonokla

It is less time if you are married to a US Citizen. I think 3 years. Since you said
you were a "conditional resident" for 2 years, I assume that is because you married a
US Citizen. Am I right? If so, you were citizenship eligible 2 years ago.

Old Sep 5th 2002, 11:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally posted by Aftonokla:
It is less time if you are married to a US Citizen. I think 3 years. Since you said
you were a "conditional resident" for 2 years, I assume that is because you married a
US Citizen. Am I right? If so, you were citizenship eligible 2 years ago.
Well that is good news, I will look into that, thanks.
Old Sep 6th 2002, 2:53 am
Just Joined

werlaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Sara Muller:

Well that is good news, I will look into that, thanks.
Like the last person stated, you are entitled for the citizenship 5 years from the time it was granted which would be in 2005 or 2 years if you are married to a US citizen meaning you are entitled to apply this year if that was the case.