Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

naturalization Interview - Usual time scales?

naturalization Interview - Usual time scales?

Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: naturalization Interview - Usual time scales?

Originally Posted by SWAMPFOX
I would like for what you say to actually apply to me but it probably doesn't because the only finances I have is my UK pension that is taxed at source in the UK. From information that the inland revenue sent me, as my pension is one financed by the UK government ( as opposed to private industry) there are special restrictions that can only be overcome by becoming a citizen ( and then only 'MAY' be considered by the inland revenue)

Tell me its not true!!
Wouldn't have a clue...though the IR aren't bad if you email or phone them with specifics, and get a mention forecast.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

SWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bob
LPR= Legal Permanent Resident...greencard holder.

As such, you have to file and pay US taxes anyway, but if you have property in the UK you have to claim that to the US and UK, only pay tax on it once though.

It's worth paying the NI because compared to over here, it's a bargain, plus you can get the money in the US, any US pension, as an LPR you can only claim it in the US, if you move abroad, you lose it, unless you get citizenship first...any US contributions can be used as credit for NIC though....and with the new guidelines coming out, you've only got a few more years worth of contributions to make to get full state mention, so it's probably worth doing in your case.
Bob,

Thanks for the info although I still don't quite understand what the position is . Is there a point of reference for such stuff?. When we first moved over here I did make an enquiry with the pensions dept and they sent me a complicated letter in which they said what I needed to pay by way of contributions or a 65 quid a week pension.
Can I pay contributions here or am I better paying direct to the pensions dept in the UK? Is there some sort of reciprocal agreement that allows contributions and payment from the US?

Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:18 pm
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

wrong in what way??
'fraid our Ray only says about one word at a time
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:21 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru4u
'fraid our Ray only says about one word at a time
I get charged by the pixel .....
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

IR and IRS sites, but not the easiest to get your head around.

And in the US, if your working, your social security contributions can be used to cover NIC, but it means not getting a US pension, and don't know how that works when you get citizenship.

NIC, you can make voluntary contributions, they send you a statement once a year saying how much you've paid etc and how much you need to top it up to maintain full state pension benefits, then just do a direct deposit to make your contributions, though to qualify, you have to have been working and contributing for 3 years before you left the UK.

Bob,

Thanks for the info although I still don't quite understand what the position is . Is there a point of reference for such stuff?. When we first moved over here I did make an enquiry with the pensions dept and they sent me a complicated letter in which they said what I needed to pay by way of contributions or a 65 quid a week pension.
Can I pay contributions here or am I better paying direct to the pensions dept in the UK? Is there some sort of reciprocal agreement that allows contributions and payment from the US?

Thanks
Old Nov 5th 2006, 3:59 pm
Banned

Pickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to beholdPickles is a splendid one to behold

Hi,

I just got back the form I-797C Notice of Action , following my application submission .

It says on the form that there is evidence missing that I will need to take to the interview , and I know that I included everything that they asked for - Maybe they are referring to the original doc's as opposed to photocopies.

Plus , they said I will be called for interview within 730 days of the notice!! - A possible 2 year wait??

any experience would be appreciated
My letter had the same missing evidence note, I sent tonnes of stuff too! My application will be processed by the NSC and then the Chicago office. The wait indicated on my letter was 550 odd days I think. I'm in no hurry though I will come eventually. Ohh and I had my fingerprints taken about 4 weeks after recieving the letter. So still waiting.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I would like for what you say to actually apply to me but it probably doesn't because the only finances I have is my UK pension that is taxed at source in the UK. From information that the inland revenue sent me, as my pension is one financed by the UK government ( as opposed to private industry) there are special restrictions that can only be overcome by becoming a citizen ( and then only 'MAY' be considered by the inland revenue)

Tell me its not true!!
Hi Steve,
Could you expand on the restrictions that would be overcome by citizenship?

My UKC just naturalized this year and has a similar pension scheme. I wasn't aware of any changes we needed to make in our tax reporting (tho we're trying to figure out if we should have it taxed in the US vs UK).
Old Nov 5th 2006, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

SWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hi Steve,
Could you expand on the restrictions that would be overcome by citizenship?

My UKC just naturalized this year and has a similar pension scheme. I wasn't aware of any changes we needed to make in our tax reporting (tho we're trying to figure out if we should have it taxed in the US vs UK).
Well as understand it UK sourced income from a government paid pension will be taxed in the UK except where the recipient is not ordinarily resident there
and a citizen of the resident country , they MAY allow taxation in the country of residence
With the allowable deductions in the USA I think it would benefit me personally
Old Nov 5th 2006, 6:03 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Well as understand it UK sourced income from a government paid pension will be taxed in the UK except where the recipient is not ordinarily resident there
and a citizen of the resident country , they MAY allow taxation in the country of residence
With the allowable deductions in the USA I think it would benefit me personally
That's what we're thinking, too. We were offered that option before US citizenship, btw.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's what we're thinking, too. We were offered that option before US citizenship, btw.

ummmm...tell me more
Government pension? no citizenship? but still offered?
how, why what
thanks