Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

naturalization Interview - Usual time scales?

Wikiposts

naturalization Interview - Usual time scales?

Old Nov 4th 2006, 8:30 am
Just Joined

SWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud of
Default naturalization Interview - Usual time scales?

Hi,

I just got back the form I-797C Notice of Action , following my application submission .

It says on the form that there is evidence missing that I will need to take to the interview , and I know that I included everything that they asked for - Maybe they are referring to the original doc's as opposed to photocopies.

Plus , they said I will be called for interview within 730 days of the notice!! - A possible 2 year wait??

any experience would be appreciated
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: naturalization Interview - Usual time scales?

When I got my 797C I also had the same missing evidence thing - and like you I sent everything in. The agent didn't ask to see anything additional, apart from my (original) passport, DL and green card.

I didn't send in evidence of the two speeding tickets I've had here, and he frankly wasn't interested in them either. So really I wouldn't fret it.

Here in Maryland, they have a reputation for being pretty quick about the appontment, my interview letter came about 6 weeks after the 797c, with the interview itself about 6 weeks after that.

That was back in february. I'm still waiting for an oath ceremony, as my background check supposedly has yet to clear

Originally Posted by SWAMPFOX
Hi,

I just got back the form I-797C Notice of Action , following my application submission .

It says on the form that there is evidence missing that I will need to take to the interview , and I know that I included everything that they asked for - Maybe they are referring to the original doc's as opposed to photocopies.

Plus , they said I will be called for interview within 730 days of the notice!! - A possible 2 year wait??

Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:17 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Naturalization????? Bloody traitors!!
Old Nov 4th 2006, 9:26 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi and welcome to BE! Have you introduced yourself in the Meet and Greet section of the USA forum?

Like you, I live in NC. I sent in my I-751 and N-400 from NC. You may have not noticed yet but there's some US immigration related forums viewable from BE. The US Immigration forum contains lots of threads including experiences about the N-400 application process.

I can tell you that there is no "usual time scale" when having to deal with the USCIS.

I take it it you sent your initial application to TSC (Texas Service Center). My N-400 application, from start to finish, took 10 months. On the other hand, I know a lady, residing in NC (closer to Charlotte than me), who began her N-400 application in May 2005 (or thereabouts) and as of last month was still waiting for her interview.

Here's my timeline:

4/26/05: N-400 application mailed to TSC
5/12?/05: NOA rec from TSC
6/4/05: rec NOA for fingerprinting
7/5/05: biometrics/fingerprints taken at ASC,Charlotte
1/3/06: NOA for Natz interview rec'd
2/16/06: N-400 interview->Oath ceremony= American citizen!

I've posted about my N-400 experience in the US Immigration forum (if you can't find my posts, they may be in one of the other forums) and also in this forum.

BTW, where in NC do you live? You mention that golf is one of your interests so I'm guessing you live in the Piedmont.

NC Penguin
Old Nov 4th 2006, 11:12 am
Just Joined

SWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud ofSWAMPFOX has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rushman
Naturalization????? Bloody traitors!!

WEll ,

I've got a Green card but if my wife gets tragically killed I've no standing here and I can apply to pay UStax instead of the punitive UK tax I pay on my pension
thanks
Old Nov 4th 2006, 5:06 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

WEll ,
I've got a Green card but if my wife gets tragically killed I've no standing here
Wrong ................
Old Nov 4th 2006, 10:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ray
Wrong ................

wrong in what way??
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Hi and welcome to BE! Have you introduced yourself in the Meet and Greet section of the USA forum?

Like you, I live in NC. I sent in my I-751 and N-400 from NC. You may have not noticed yet but there's some US immigration related forums viewable from BE. The US Immigration forum contains lots of threads including experiences about the N-400 application process.

I can tell you that there is no "usual time scale" when having to deal with the USCIS.

I take it it you sent your initial application to TSC (Texas Service Center). My N-400 application, from start to finish, took 10 months. On the other hand, I know a lady, residing in NC (closer to Charlotte than me), who began her N-400 application in May 2005 (or thereabouts) and as of last month was still waiting for her interview.

Here's my timeline:

4/26/05: N-400 application mailed to TSC
5/12?/05: NOA rec from TSC
6/4/05: rec NOA for fingerprinting
7/5/05: biometrics/fingerprints taken at ASC,Charlotte
1/3/06: NOA for Natz interview rec'd
2/16/06: N-400 interview->Oath ceremony= American citizen!

I've posted about my N-400 experience in the US Immigration forum (if you can't find my posts, they may be in one of the other forums) and also in this forum.

BTW, where in NC do you live? You mention that golf is one of your interests so I'm guessing you live in the Piedmont.

NC Penguin
Hi,

Sorry not introduced myself yet but will do so asap!
Thanks for the info - I'm not really sweating anything -just like to know what to expect.,
I live south of raleigh

Hope to speak to more people in due course
regards
Steve
Old Nov 5th 2006, 1:55 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

wrong in what way??
if you haven't removed conditions you can do so straight away then, and could apply for citizenship after 5 years of having LPR instead of the 3 year requirement based on marriage.

death is only a breaker if your still waiting to get your greencard...

Thing to really worry about is health insurance, pension and tax complications.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:01 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

......... I can apply to pay UStax instead of the punitive UK tax I pay on my pension
thanks
... and for US medical insurance/co-pays etc etc you are paying........
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:07 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
if you haven't removed conditions you can do so straight away then, and could apply for citizenship after 5 years of having LPR instead of the 3 year requirement based on marriage.

death is only a breaker if your still waiting to get your greencard...

Thing to really worry about is health insurance, pension and tax complications.

Bob,

Thanks for that info - much appreciated
( whats LPR bTW? - I'll work it out as soon as I post this!)
From the small amount of research I have conducted I believe that I can apply not to pay UK tax but pay US tax instead once I receive citizenship - any experiences?
Is it worth continuing to pay the UK for a state pension when 65 ( 13 yrs time)
I'm also looking at changing to a HSA from straight medical insurance next year - we are currently paying $500 pm for the both of us which seems good especially when you factor in what we were both paying in National insurance in the UK
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:29 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob,

From the small amount of research I have conducted I believe that I can apply not to pay UK tax but pay US tax instead once I receive citizenship - any experiences?
I'm also looking at changing to a HSA from straight medical insurance next year - we are currently paying $500 pm for the both of us which seems good especially when you factor in what we were both paying in National insurance in the UK
You pay tax in the country in which you are resident. It has NOTHING to do with being a citizen or not. If you've been resident in the US for more than 180 days in the calendar year (search INS website for "substantial presence test" for full details) then you file your US tax return as a US resident. Even if you don't meet the 180 day rule, you still need to file a US tax return.

Once you're no longer resident in the UK, you don't pay UK taxes. You can also claim back any taxes paid during the year that you ceased to be resident in the UK for tax purposes... something that I only discovered because of a post here (thanks Bob!) three years late, and which has just landed me a $2,500 refund check from the Inland Revenue!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
You pay tax in the country in which you are resident. It has NOTHING to do with being a citizen or not. If you've been resident in the US for more than 180 days in the calendar year (search INS website for "substantial presence test" for full details) then you file your US tax return as a US resident. Even if you don't meet the 180 day rule, you still need to file a US tax return.

Once you're no longer resident in the UK, you don't pay UK taxes. You can also claim back any taxes paid during the year that you ceased to be resident in the UK for tax purposes... something that I only discovered because of a post here (thanks Bob!) three years late, and which has just landed me a $2,500 refund check from the Inland Revenue!
I would like for what you say to actually apply to me but it probably doesn't because the only finances I have is my UK pension that is taxed at source in the UK. From information that the inland revenue sent me, as my pension is one financed by the UK government ( as opposed to private industry) there are special restrictions that can only be overcome by becoming a citizen ( and then only 'MAY' be considered by the inland revenue)

Tell me its not true!!
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:49 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bob,

LPR= Legal Permanent Resident...greencard holder.

As such, you have to file and pay US taxes anyway, but if you have property in the UK you have to claim that to the US and UK, only pay tax on it once though.

It's worth paying the NI because compared to over here, it's a bargain, plus you can get the money in the US, any US pension, as an LPR you can only claim it in the US, if you move abroad, you lose it, unless you get citizenship first...any US contributions can be used as credit for NIC though....and with the new guidelines coming out, you've only got a few more years worth of contributions to make to get full state mention, so it's probably worth doing in your case.
Old Nov 5th 2006, 2:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by dbj1000

Nice one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.