Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The National Parks

The National Parks

Old Feb 11th 2013, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute
Default The National Parks

Hi

We have our first holiday in the US since moving here and can't decide between Yosemite, Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. We have two weeks in probably July. All look expensive and accommodation very pricey. Any thoughts on which we should go for. We live in Charleston,SC. Have tried to look at hiring an RV but it is so expensive that's not an option. If we were to fly to Denver and wind our way up to the park would we have to book motels or could we just pitch up? There are 5 of us 2 adults 3 kids. If anyone has had any brilliant trips and places they could recommend then please let us know.

Many thanks
Old Feb 11th 2013, 5:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The National Parks

If you book early, you can probably get reservations to a camp site within the parks otherwise you will likely have to find a campsite outside the parks to pitch your tents.

Others may disagree but my favorite is Yosemite with beautiful views, plenty of waterfalls with trails from the bottom to the top, sequoias in the southern part of the park and Sequoia National Park just to the south, rock climbing, stocked rivers (rainbow trout) to fish just outside the park, and the park is smaller than Yellowstone so everything is closer.

As far as the Grand canyon, I only visited for a day so I'm not sure what can be done during a two week vacation.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

The Grand Canyon is likely to be in the 80sF in July, and if you had any intention of seeing the gorge in the base then I don't know if that's even doable then. Yosemite will probably be in the 80s too. Both places are beautiful, but I'm not sure mid-summer is the best time to visit, assuming you intend on hiking and outdoor stuff.

Never been to Yellowstone, but I assume the temperature will be a lot better.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jscl
The Grand Canyon is likely to be in the 80sF in July, and if you had any intention of seeing the gorge in the base then I don't know if that's even doable then. Yosemite will probably be in the 80s too. Both places are beautiful, but I'm not sure mid-summer is the best time to visit, assuming you intend on hiking and outdoor stuff.

Never been to Yellowstone, but I assume the temperature will be a lot better.
Probably more like a 100ยบ F by the Grand Canyon.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:21 pm
Some Where in the Desert

AZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of lightAZ_Alba is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Michael
Probably more like a 100ยบ F by the Grand Canyon.
Down in the Valley by Phoenix you will be in 100's plus, but up at the Grand Canyon more like 80's during the day.
You will also be getting into Monsoon Season, could be a lot of thunder storms.
Not all of Arizona is Desert.

What do there, you could ride the railway from Williams, hike the canyon though you probably have to book way in advance, particularly if you want to camp at the bottom. Water water rafting through the canyon is booked years out.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...nthly/USAZ0088
Old Feb 11th 2013, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest Yosemite, but also consider taking the time to drive the nearby 395. it's one of the most gorgeous drives in the US.
Nearby must see's include,
Bodie Ghost Town
Mono Lake
Convict Lake
Mammoth Lakes

You could also visit Death Valley and Lake Tahoe in the same trip if you did that.

You would not be disappointed.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

I have been to all 3 parks. Yellowstone over Memorial weekend last year, in a snow blizzard and 3 - 4" of snow. Of all 3 parks that's where i'd head, lots of hiking, natural phenomena, animals.

However, this year we are planning a little roadtrip (we are already in California) and plan to drive from So cal to Sequoia, a little white water rafting in Kernville, then up to Yosemite for a few days, over the Tioga pass down the 395 for a few days in Death Valley. I've done this trip once before and it's quite impressive, but it is a fair bit of driving 4-6 hours between each Park.

Yosemite would be my second choice. But book early for accommodations, I know that the campsites go onsale next month for August and we've been warned they sell out in minutes.

Just my 2cents worth!

Have a great trip whatever you decide.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

If you decide to go to Yellowstone, I would suggest booking accommodations very soon. We have been 2 times, first time we stayed in Gardner, which is at the north entrance and the other time we stayed in the town of West Yellowstone. We also stayed in Jackson, WY to see Grand Teton NP on our first trip up there. There are not many small towns on the route that have hotels/motels, so best to book ahead.

Jackson is a good 10 hour drive from Denver and Yellowstone, maybe another 2 hours, as there is a 40-45 mph speed limit in the NP's.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newadventure
Hi

We have our first holiday in the US since moving here and can't decide between Yosemite, Grand Canyon or Yellowstone. We have two weeks in probably July. All look expensive and accommodation very pricey.

.......and is probably already booked.

I had friends looking for Jackson, in July, and all hotels were booked.

Some locations will have a 2 or 3 night minimum stay. Hotels, Meals, Fuel and most other things are quite pricey compared to other locations.

I drive a Tour Bus through the National Parks (Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Bryce, Zion and Grand Canyon North Rim), normally, at least 3 x 14 Day tours every year.

You will be screwed if you leave it for much longer.

Jim.
Old Feb 12th 2013, 1:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

HI there!
Send you a private message with a website for free camping in the USA, we have used it a couple of times, just check that the info is still current.
have fun!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:34 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotscot
I suggest Yosemite, but also consider taking the time to drive the nearby 395. it's one of the most gorgeous drives in the US.
Nearby must see's include,
Bodie Ghost Town
Mono Lake
Convict Lake
Mammoth Lakes

You could also visit Death Valley and Lake Tahoe in the same trip if you did that.

You would not be disappointed.
Excellent advice.

If you wanted to do a full loop from SoCal you could also add in Kings Canyon and Sequoia (or alternatively Big Sur and the Highway 1 drive along the coast).

In terms of dramatic physical geography, Yosemite is the crown jewel of the National Park system, and my personal favourite. I also think you'd do well to beat the scope of the geography and geology in California in general.

Yellowstone probably still wins for biodiversity, although it might take you a while to tromp around and see all of it.

Last edited by caleyjag; Feb 13th 2013 at 12:44 am.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

newadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond reputenewadventure has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks everyone for this. Am well underway to planning the San Fransisco and Yosemite trip and am just having to gulp at the costs involved. Flying into San Jose to keep costs down and hiring a car to take us to San Francisco. Keep converting it back to pounds so it sounds better.

Planning to camp in the park and take our own tent which will incur a cost from the airlines I presume - any idea how that works anyone? Also if anyone has had experience of booking these campsite or can recommend any - we tend to be basic campers and my hubbie likes a more peaceful spot. The slots open 15th March I see - any tips to managing to get a booking? Thinking of spending a few days in Yosemite and the heading to mammoth lakes as recommended and then back to San Jose. Only have 2 weeks to play with.

Once again many thanks for all this as it has helped a lot. Bring on the summer!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:09 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

If you're basic campers, I'm guessing the tent isn't that big, so just stow it in your check in luggage and the airline won't know/care. They might get a bit more excited if you try to take your camping stove with propane cylinders or kerosene....!!!

Dont know if you have time, but Pinnacles National Monument, (which is on my "to do list" after recommendations from BIL in San Jose) has just been elevated to National Park status. Its not far off your route I dont think - about 2 hours south of SJ I think. Could be one of the first to get its new stamp!
Old Feb 13th 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

If you are going in July then you need to be on it if you want to camp in Yosemite. It is extremely popular in the summer and there is a limited camping capacity.

If you are fit and agile you may want to look into camping in the back country, which will require carrying your camping gear and hiking in to the campsite. That way you can get away from the crowds of children and idiots that fill up the main valley in the summer.