Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

National Insurance Contributions Contact.

National Insurance Contributions Contact.

Old May 29th 2018, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute
Default National Insurance Contributions Contact.

Hello,

My wife and I have been working for our first calendar months state side and need to inform HMRC so that our contributions to social security here can count towards our national insurance in the UK. Is there a specific phone number, email or address we can contact? Any hurdles we should be aware of?

Many thanks in advance.
Old May 29th 2018, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: National Insurance Contributions Contact.

Hi Andy,

It depends if you're planning on a temp or permanent move. If you want to be in the US long term then you pay Social Security but shouldn't have pay National Insurance. This is a good place to start:

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

If you’re eligible you can pay voluntary NI contributions but it's optional. I called the helpline the other day to check on my voluntary contributions and they answered the phone and were actually helpful...which surprised me!
Old May 29th 2018, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

AndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond reputeAndyMan74 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carlrush
Hi Andy,

It depends if you're planning on a temp or permanent move. If you want to be in the US long term then you pay Social Security but shouldn't have pay National Insurance. This is a good place to start:

https://www.gov.uk/national-insurance-if-you-go-abroad

If you’re eligible you can pay voluntary NI contributions but it's optional. I called the helpline the other day to check on my voluntary contributions and they answered the phone and were actually helpful...which surprised me!
HMRC actually answered the phone and were helpful??? I don't believe it lol. Thanks for the info and were staying between 5-10 years.
Old May 29th 2018, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

carlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of lightcarlrush is a glorious beacon of light

It may have been a one-off so don't get too excited! lol

I'm sure there's more about voluntary NIC on the forum somewhere but basically, it was due to be scrapped this year and has been postponed until 2019.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:08 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Think this is the thread you were thinking of Carlrush

https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-...utions-874408/
Old May 29th 2018, 4:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

It may have been a one-off so don't get too excited! lol

I'm sure there's more about voluntary NIC on the forum somewhere but basically, it was due to be scrapped this year and has been postponed until 2019.
Voluntary NICs aren't being scrapped, just the class is changing (from incredibly cheap to merely cheap).
Old May 29th 2018, 4:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You have no absolute right to pay NI Contributions. You have to apply for permission to do so ! I paid voluntary NI Conts for most of the years when I worked abroad. I now get the State Retirment pension and am reaping the rewards of my contributions (which were minimal !)
Old May 29th 2018, 4:30 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
You have no absolute right to pay NI Contributions. You have to apply for permission to do so ! I paid voluntary NI Conts for most of the years when I worked abroad. I now get the State Retirment pension and am reaping the rewards of my contributions (which were minimal !)
Thanks for all the info guys. My wife and I have both paid in 22 full years of contributions in the UK so have about another 10 to go (I think). We would be daft not to continue paying or at least use our contributions in the US count towards the UK.
Old May 29th 2018, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rpjs
Voluntary NICs aren't being scrapped, just the class is changing (from incredibly cheap to merely cheap).
You're right, I should have clarified Class 2 contributions are being scrapped. I didn't think they've confirmed what the new rates will be and who may qualify to pay them.

Since it's an attempt to simply a system then my money is on a more complicated compromise!
Old May 29th 2018, 5:39 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndyMan74
Thanks for all the info guys. My wife and I have both paid in 22 full years of contributions in the UK so have about another 10 to go (I think). We would be daft not to continue paying or at least use our contributions in the US count towards the UK.
I believe the number of years needed for a full pension is currently 35, so you've 13 to go.

However, if at any stage you were contracted out, then you were paying lower NI rates and those years will not carry full weight towards the eventual state pension, so you might ("might") end up paying more than 13 years to get a max pension - all depends on the new 'replacing class 2' rates and rules to figure out if it would be worth it.
Old May 29th 2018, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

You're right, I should have clarified Class 2 contributions are being scrapped. I didn't think they've confirmed what the new rates will be and who may qualify to pay them.

Since it's an attempt to simply a system then my money is on a more complicated compromise!
ICBW but I thought it was switching to Class 3.