British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   National Insurance Contributions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/national-insurance-contributions-336463/)

Eskimo Nov 9th 2005 4:39 pm

Re: National Insurance Contributions

Originally Posted by Elvira
The way I look at it, the odds are better than the lottery.

For me, for the cost of a weekly Frappuccino :D it is worth it ;)

I dont play the lottery either :D

neil Nov 9th 2005 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
Doesn't the UK have a reciprocal agreement with the USA regarding Social Security? How does one benefit from that if they move back to the UK....anyone know?

I don't know if this helps, but it does mention it:

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/lifeevent/bene...3/sa33_oct.pdf

frrussre Nov 9th 2005 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Sue
Doesn't the UK have a reciprocal agreement with the USA regarding Social Security? How does one benefit from that if they move back to the UK....anyone know?

Roughly translated, very roughly.
I believe you do not get reciprocal Cash. If you live in USA & do not have enough years credits (years) when you retire, then you can link your UK credits (Years) to the pot. Visa verse, if you live in UK & do not have enough credits (Years) then you can link the credits (Years) earned in USA.

Reg. Frank R.

Sue Nov 9th 2005 4:46 pm

Thanks.....just the thing.

Originally Posted by neil
I don't know if this helps, but it does mention it:

dinosaur Nov 9th 2005 6:04 pm

Apologies if this has been asked a billion times - I'm just way too lazy to search the historicals. And read vital government publications and the like.

Anyway, say I work out my life over here, earning enough credits for social security. Can I then go and live back in the UK and get at least the basic state pension (due to the reciproical agreement) ?

If I paid NIC, what would I get that I would not get from the reciprocal agreement (assuming I'd worked here (the US) long enough to qualify for social security)?

frrussre Nov 9th 2005 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by dinosaur
Apologies if this has been asked a billion times - I'm just way too lazy to search the historicals. And read vital government publications and the like.

Anyway, say I work out my life over here, earning enough credits for social security. Can I then go and live back in the UK and get at least the basic state pension (due to the reciproical agreement) ?

If I paid NIC, what would I get that I would not get from the reciprocal agreement (assuming I'd worked here (the US) long enough to qualify for social security)?

My English aunt, who lived in US for 50 + years, returned to the UK & received her US pension until she went to live with the Big Guy upstairs. Money was paid into her UK Bank account, monthly I fink.
Reg. Frank R.

Big D Nov 9th 2005 6:47 pm

I have been looking into this for my wife recently and trying to decide. The reciprocal agreement is more for if you are here long term so doesnt apply to us.

Class 2 are 2 quid a week class 3 7 (roughly) you can make class 3 but only class 2 if you are working over here. If you dont pay while you are here the value of your pension will be reduced by the number of years you missed, assuming you make enough years payments while in the UK. So really it probably makes little difference, although my other concern is that there probably wont be a state pension worth having in 30 years!!!

If we can swing class 2 we will as its worth the punt, but class 3 might make us think a little harder!

Elvira Nov 9th 2005 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
If you dont pay while you are here the value of your pension will be reduced by the number of years you missed, assuming you make enough years payments while in the UK. So really it probably makes little difference, although my other concern is that there probably wont be a state pension worth having in 30 years!!

I wouldn't want to bet which state pension would devalue more - the UK or the US... So we are going to continue to pay both - that way we get 2 state pensions:

"Insured in both the UK and the USA:
If you have enough insurance under each country’s scheme to satisfy the contributions conditions and qualify for a pension, you can get a pension from each country."

Big D Nov 9th 2005 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira
I wouldn't want to bet which state pension would devalue more - the UK or the US... So we are going to continue to pay both - that way we get 2 state pensions:

"Insured in both the UK and the USA:
If you have enough insurance under each country’s scheme to satisfy the contributions conditions and qualify for a pension, you can get a pension from each country."

Yeah - good point - we plan on returning to blighty so will just keep up on that side. Any that my wife pays in the US she is entitled to be refunded when she goes home!

dunroving Nov 9th 2005 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by dinosaur

It's called the Totalization Agreement, I believe, and the way it works in your case is you have 2 options: (a) receive US social security pension (because you have sufficient payments), or (b) apply for your US SS payments to "count" towards UK pension under the Totalization Agreement.

If you have fewer than 40 quarters (I believe) of US SS payments, option (b) is the only one that you can use ...

Shahlax Nov 9th 2005 8:50 pm

I also heard that if you work less than 9 years in the UK, you get no state pension. I only worked 5 years there before moving here. I should probably pay a few more years UK NI to get some kind of pension there?

Big D Nov 9th 2005 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Shahlax
I also heard that if you work less than 9 years in the UK, you get no state pension. I only worked 5 years there before moving here. I should probably pay a few more years UK NI to get some kind of pension there?

If you arent planning to return its not worth it - full pension is based on at least 40 years of contributions so you would get less than a quarter pension - if indeed there is a pension in years to come!!

dunroving Nov 9th 2005 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Shahlax

- depends on whether you wish to return and/or make use of the Totalization Agreement to "top up" NI payments with your US SS payments.

Chandler Nov 10th 2005 1:34 am

My take is different....

Because I am here on an L-visa (inter company transfer) one of the things I must do is show I have roots in the UK and that I am not using this as a back door route to immigration. Consquently my firm has me paying NI out of my $ pay packet, but I dont have to contribute to SS.

Best of both worlds?

mdyoung Nov 10th 2005 4:24 am

Totalization Agreement with the United Kingdom:

http://www.ssa.gov/international/Agr...phlets/uk.html

If you have questions about international Social Security agreements, call the Social Security Administration's Office of International Programs at (410) 965-4538 or (410) 965-0377.

Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States:

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10137.html

Since SSA has no offices outside the U.S., Office of International Operations is assisted by the Department of State's embassies and consulates throughout the world.

Federal Benefits Unit
American Embassy
24/31 Grosvenor Square
W1A 2LQ London
England
Phone: 44-207-499-9000
Fax: 44-207-495-7200