Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

national ins contributions

national ins contributions

Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:06 am
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: national ins contributions

Originally Posted by rallybug
I pay Class 2 at the moment as I'm self-employed in the UK working for the company I was previously employed by - if I stay working for them after moving to the US, then I presume I'd be paying the normal contributions (Class 2 + the extra at tax return time).
Not sure about this. I don't really understand your situation as you explained it.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

I used to work as a normal employee for a company on the Isle of Man, with the Manx version of PAYE.

I left the island to move back to the UK, but continued to be employed by the same company, but as a self-employed contractor, I suppose.

Hence, I send a time sheet to the company for my work, they pay me gross, and at the end of each tax year I do my online tax return - Class 2 NICs go out each month on the HMRC schedule, and there's a further NIC bill for the Class 4 contributions at tax return time.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 12:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rallybug
I used to work as a normal employee for a company on the Isle of Man, with the Manx version of PAYE.

I left the island to move back to the UK, but continued to be employed by the same company, but as a self-employed contractor, I suppose.

Hence, I send a time sheet to the company for my work, they pay me gross, and at the end of each tax year I do my online tax return - Class 2 NICs go out each month on the HMRC schedule, and there's a further NIC bill for the Class 4 contributions at tax return time.
I'm not sure what happens if you move to the US, but keep working for your IOM based company as a contractor. You'll have some tax responsibilities wrt IOM and I don't know if you'll still have UK tax issues to deal with. My situation was straight forward as I just left the UK and moves to the US so I have no tax due in the UK at all and qualify to pay Class 2 NI. I'd ask a tax/NI person in IOM about your situation.
Old Apr 13th 2011, 4:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
I've done the calculations about whether the Class2 NI payments are worth it. If I'd put them instead into a ROTH and compounded the 2.50 a week at 5% interest over 30 years I'd have around 9k. Then let that grow for another 11 years (until I'm 66) at 5% with no additions and I'd end up with 15k. The currently proposed UK flat rate pension will be about 7k a year. If that rises by 3% (inflation) a year for 16 years, when I'll be 66 it will be 11k a year inflation linked for as long as I live. At 5% interest the 15k in a ROTH would last 2 years with 11k annual withdrawals.
So Class 2 contributions (if you're eligible) are clearly a bargain even if you're WEP'd. The other interesting thing is that there is no "time value" applied to these contributions, i.e. you don't get charged more for a particular year based on how close you are to retirement. Thus the contributions become an increasingly good thing the closer one is to retirement. So as long as you can get to the 30 years, it actually pays you to "backload" these voluntary contributions.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 12:48 am
Banned

ruko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
So Class 2 contributions (if you're eligible) are clearly a bargain even if you're WEP'd. The other interesting thing is that there is no "time value" applied to these contributions, i.e. you don't get charged more for a particular year based on how close you are to retirement. Thus the contributions become an increasingly good thing the closer one is to retirement. So as long as you can get to the 30 years, it actually pays you to "backload" these voluntary contributions.
agree..