Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Nasa 'sexed Up' Mars Snaps

Nasa 'sexed Up' Mars Snaps

Old Feb 7th 2004, 4:42 pm
gunner

Default Nasa 'sexed Up' Mars Snaps

Nasa scientists have been accused of "sexing up" images of Mars sent back from its pioneering mission to the Red Planet.

Conspiracy theorists allege the images, sent back by the US space agency's two surface rovers, have been digitally altered to make them look redder.

Some even go as far as to suggest Nasa doctored the colours to hide evidence of life, such as green patches, New Scientist magazine reports.

The sceptics base their claims on the strange appearance of certain colours seen on the rover spacecraft.

But Nasa scientists have rubbished their theories, saying the colours are distorted because the photos were taken through green, blue and infrared - rather than red filters.

The agency said it used infrared filters because they provide better information for geologists, helping to distinguish different rock types.

Scientists added that the redness of the Martian surface depends greatly on its sky.

"Because of the reddish dust that is always in the air, the light falling on the surface of Mars is red to begin with; the effect is likely to be rather like terrestrial lighting close to sunset, when hills take on a pink or magenta hue," said New Scientist.

Nasa scientists say early images of Mars from two probes in 1975 were far too red and the recent rover images are much closer to reality.

Old Feb 7th 2004, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nasa 'sexed Up' Mars Snaps

Originally posted by gunner
Nasa scientists have been accused of "sexing up" images of Mars sent back from its pioneering mission to the Red Planet.

Conspiracy theorists allege the images, sent back by the US space agency's two surface rovers, have been digitally altered to make them look redder.

Some even go as far as to suggest Nasa doctored the colours to hide evidence of life, such as green patches, New Scientist magazine reports.

The sceptics base their claims on the strange appearance of certain colours seen on the rover spacecraft.

But Nasa scientists have rubbished their theories, saying the colours are distorted because the photos were taken through green, blue and infrared - rather than red filters.

The agency said it used infrared filters because they provide better information for geologists, helping to distinguish different rock types.

Scientists added that the redness of the Martian surface depends greatly on its sky.

"Because of the reddish dust that is always in the air, the light falling on the surface of Mars is red to begin with; the effect is likely to be rather like terrestrial lighting close to sunset, when hills take on a pink or magenta hue," said New Scientist.

Nasa scientists say early images of Mars from two probes in 1975 were far too red and the recent rover images are much closer to reality.
They are on a film lot somewhere in hollywood.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 7:15 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

I have to admit I was a bit suspicious of one that showed a curved horizon. Surely that must mean (a) Mars is VERY flat (b/c there were no hills in the way), and (b) it must be VERY small.

When you stand in a sea of (flat) cornfields in Iowa, do you see a curved horizon?
Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:31 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by dunroving
I have to admit I was a bit suspicious of one that showed a curved horizon. Surely that must mean (a) Mars is VERY flat (b/c there were no hills in the way), and (b) it must be VERY small.

When you stand in a sea of (flat) cornfields in Iowa, do you see a curved horizon?
Yes you can, and it can be very disconcerting (re: seeing a curved horizon in IL).

First time I saw a curved horizon in a spot outside Decatur (IL) I was shocked.

I had never seen a curved horizon while in the middle of a huge land mass. So it was perplexing and really weird to see it for the first time. :scared: Nothing and I mean nothing prepares you for it! It's a real high!!!

Nothing but flat fields going off into the distance to a curved horizon.

:lecture: It would be a lot easier to see a curved horizon on Mars; Mars is smaller than the earth so the curved horizon would be closer to the observer.

Last edited by Patent Attorney; Feb 7th 2004 at 8:35 pm.

Old Feb 7th 2004, 8:33 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dunroving

It's just an effect caused by the wide angle fish-eye lenses on the cameras.

...either that, or they built a special 10-mile diameter planet just to fake landing on Mars
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:43 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Note: I'm not actually disagreeing with PatentAttorney - it's just that I think I know the particular Nasa Mars image dunroving's talking about, which shows a VERY curved horizon due to the camera optics.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 10:52 pm
Franklin

Originally posted by dbj1000
Note: I'm not actually disagreeing with PatentAttorney - it's just that I think I know the particular Nasa Mars image dunroving's talking about, which shows a VERY curved horizon due to the camera optics.
*nods* Maybe compressing or reconfiguring the pictures like that just helps to get more in each picture.

But what FANTASTIC pictures.

Spellbinding!

Old Feb 7th 2004, 11:07 pm
CA to TX to Jamaica

CaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond reputeCaliforniaBride has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nasa 'sexed Up' Mars Snaps

Originally posted by gunner
Not forgetting to mention what those bad men at NASA did to Beagle!