British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Naples, FL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/naples-fl-704821/)

NicciT Feb 10th 2011 1:08 pm

Naples, FL

Hi all

I moved to the USA last year and in around 2-3 years my military husband and I will be moving to Naples (he retires). I wondered if anyone was able to tell me about the job market in this area as I qualify for funding for certain college degrees and I want to make sure I choose one that gives me the highest chance for employment. I am currently working as an Executive Assistant and I was thinking of training to be a paralegal but my husband has suggested medical billing or accounting may be a better option for me. I would be grateful for any advice - thanks :D

robin1234 Feb 10th 2011 1:30 pm

Re: Naples

Is this Naples, Florida? I've been through Naples, Maine, it seems a nice little place but a bit too rural for some folks.

MrEmjoy Feb 10th 2011 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by robin1234 (Post 9166838)
Is this Naples, Florida? I've been through Naples, Maine, it seems a nice little place but a bit too rural for some folks.

Most likely!

NicciT Feb 10th 2011 1:38 pm

oops sorry yes - Naples FL! We're moving from VA

explorerman Feb 10th 2011 2:07 pm

Depends what you are looking for. SW Florida was hit very hard by the recession. Fort Myers, Naples, Cape Coral area unemployment is sitting around the 12% mark. Naples is very much a retirement town, lots of country clubs and shops and not much else.
If you are in the medical field or sales there are quite a few jobs available but apart from that, not much.

Here is the local rag's website for jobs...

http://www.naplesnews.com/jobs/

If you need any more info drop me a line, lived in this area for 14 years.

Roy

NicciT Feb 10th 2011 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by explorerman (Post 9166926)
Depends what you are looking for. SW Florida was hit very hard by the recession. Fort Myers, Naples, Cape Coral area unemployment is sitting around the 12% mark. Naples is very much a retirement town, lots of country clubs and shops and not much else.
If you are in the medical field or sales there are quite a few jobs available but apart from that, not much.

Here is the local rag's website for jobs...

http://www.naplesnews.com/jobs/

If you need any more info drop me a line, lived in this area for 14 years.

Roy

Thanks so much for the info - perhaps my husband is right and medical billing may have more opportunities than paralegal work. How is real estate there as I think my husband would have to retrain too as he is an electrician in the Navy and I doubt there's many opportunities available for him and real estate may be a better option? Thanks again.

explorerman Feb 10th 2011 3:06 pm

Jobs within the construction business are only just starting to come back, Fort Myers/Cape Coral and to a lesser extent Naples has one of the highest foreclosure rates in the country. There are plenty of unemployed realtors down here. Paralegal might not be a bad area, the local yellow pages has a huge section devoted to lawyers almost as big as the section devoted to doctors ;)

Roy

N1cky Feb 10th 2011 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by NicciT (Post 9166804)
Hi all

I moved to the USA last year and in around 2-3 years my military husband and I will be moving to Naples (he retires). I wondered if anyone was able to tell me about the job market in this area as I qualify for funding for certain college degrees and I want to make sure I choose one that gives me the highest chance for employment. I am currently working as an Executive Assistant and I was thinking of training to be a paralegal but my husband has suggested medical billing or accounting may be a better option for me. I would be grateful for any advice - thanks :D

Have you actually been to Naples? We joined our in-laws last year for a week in Marco Island (dullest week of my life). We went into Naples for the day, it was one of the most sleepy places I've ever been to, Sunday afternoon nearly everything was closed, even if it had been open there was nothing there of interest. The only people walking around were the 60+ year olds who have holiday homes there.

If you have been and love it then fair enough and good luck:)

Bob Feb 10th 2011 6:53 pm

Re: Naples, FL

Changed the title and moved it, so might get more exposure for you :)

Rete Feb 10th 2011 6:55 pm

Well I had a daughter who lived in Naples, FL for a few years. I loved visiting her but she said the same thing. Not a place for singles. But then, they are a couple and not single so that is different. Besides what is like by one might be disliked by another. One of the nicest beaches in Florida is there ... Clam Beach. Fantastic beach.

N1cky Feb 10th 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rete (Post 9167468)
Well I had a daughter who lived in Naples, FL for a few years. I loved visiting her but she said the same thing. Not a place for singles. But then, they are a couple and not single so that is different. Besides what is like by one might be disliked by another. One of the nicest beaches in Florida is there ... Clam Beach. Fantastic beach.

I agree everyones opinions are different, the lack of young people got me though, I felt like I was visiting a very large retirement complex

NicciT Feb 10th 2011 7:35 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback - its not set but we are looking for somewhere south florida (north of miami though) preferably on the Gulf coast as we like that the water is warm in the summer and the only reason we were looking at Naples is there is a possibility of me transferring within my company but I still need to look at employment opportunities as this is not a guarantee. I'll be around 30-31 when we move, my husband 42-43 so not looking to party or interested in the single lifestyle. we do love the beach and hate the cold weather. We love the house prices in Naples too as living in VA is actually more expensive by far than Naples so we were excited at what our money could get us. We might have to go for a visit to check it out if its that sleepy though as we are quite active (surfing, movies, rollerblading etc).

Anyway thanks again everyone I really appreciate the feedback! :thumbsup:

N1cky Feb 10th 2011 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by NicciT (Post 9167568)
Thanks everyone for the feedback - its not set but we are looking for somewhere south florida (north of miami though) preferably on the Gulf coast as we like that the water is warm in the summer and the only reason we were looking at Naples is there is a possibility of me transferring within my company but I still need to look at employment opportunities as this is not a guarantee. I'll be around 30-31 when we move, my husband 42-43 so not looking to party or interested in the single lifestyle. we do love the beach and hate the cold weather. We love the house prices in Naples too as living in VA is actually more expensive by far than Naples so we were excited at what our money could get us. We might have to go for a visit to check it out if its that sleepy though as we are quite active (surfing, movies, rollerblading etc).

Anyway thanks again everyone I really appreciate the feedback! :thumbsup:

Both you and your hubby are a couple of years younger me and my hubby. We're not that active though, other than walking, which was not fun in the humidity. We like eating out, most places were dead by 8pm which is the time we like to go out and eat. In fact some of them were closing up at that time:eek:

This place in particular made me laugh. Described as having '40 creative boutiques' which basically means 40 stores selling Naples t-shirts and snow globes inside a corrugated iron shed. As for waterfront dining, it smelt worse than Grimsby docks, you would need a peg to be able to sit out there and dine.
http://www.tin-city.com/

I'm not trying to slam that region, as already stated everyone is different, but please check it out before you commit to moving there, personally a week was too long for me.

Rete Feb 10th 2011 8:24 pm

There are lovely places for dining and walking in and around Naples. My daughter took me to a lovely place on the beach south of Clam Beach for dinner one evening. Absolutely fabulous. Also lots of good mall shopping outside of the tourist drag.

Note one thing: If you are in need of furniture, look at the many consignment shops in Naples. I found the furniture in the majority of them to be cream of the crop and for about 1/4th or less the original price. So many seniors dying off and/or going into nursing homes or anyone moving out of the state.

I know that when we relocate that is the first place I'm going in my new area ... consignment shopping.

uk2la99 Sep 15th 2011 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by NicciT (Post 9166804)
Hi all

Hi,

Just thought I would respond, even though this is a old post. Are you currently living in Naples? If not I would love to say that the medical profession seems to be booming here. I am a general contractor and real estate agent from Manchester. I lived in LA for 21 years and living here took a bit of getting used to. Now I love it. Naples is beautiful, safe, clean and I think full of opportunity.

Take care,

Rob Thomas.