British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   nannies in tampa? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/nannies-tampa-344041/)

Sara B Dec 22nd 2005 11:27 am

nannies in tampa?

Hi Everyone,
Posted a while back as we are moving to Tampa with my husbands business.
We have now bought a property in Cobbs Landing on Lake Tarpon, Palm Harbor and we get possession of it on Jan 10th 2006. I have 2 boys 18m and 5yrs.
Will need some childcare, maybe a part time nanny or at least a baby sitter plus a cleaner. Any ideas on where I should start looking? or advertising? do you have any local publications that are particularly good for this type of thing?
Ive heard cleaning is mega expensive there? My husbands business partner pays 100 dollars for 4 hrs? is this normal??
Think it will be really hard to try and trust a stranger with the kids as have only ever had family here in the uk. But think I will need some help, especially whilst trying to unpack all our boxes etc., buying a load of new stuff and trying to find my feet (and my way around - i have no sense of direction!!)
Im dreaming about a 'Mrs Doubtfire' type lady, who is maybe a bit older and wants to mother us all... but im sure everyone is looking for that!!
Any helpful pointers in the right direction would be much much appreciated!!
Thank you.
And Happy Christmas to all of you. The threads on this site have been so helpful and enlightening!!!
Sara ;)

Pimpbot Dec 22nd 2005 12:19 pm

Re: nannies in tampa?

Give her a call.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2005/...b__200x316.jpg

ironporer Dec 22nd 2005 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sara B
Hi Everyone,
Im dreaming about a 'Mrs Doubtfire' type lady, who is maybe a bit older and wants to mother us all... but im sure everyone is looking for that!!

You want an old cross-dresser as a nannie??

Have you tried Google? Seem to be more than a few agencies. And yes- 100$ for 4 hours seems ludicrous.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...+nanny&spell=1

Ray Dec 22nd 2005 1:32 pm

For $25 an hour... I'll even do your ironing ...and your not far from me...
Somebody is being well caught...
Most cleaners get under $10 an hour ... same for a baby sitter ...

Elsie The Maid Dec 22nd 2005 1:45 pm

Wish I could get a house cleaner for $10 an hour! Wow.
Here in Ohio, they pay by the job. An average house would be $65-$85, but that wouldn't include windows.

Ray Dec 22nd 2005 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Wish I could get a house cleaner for $10 an hour! Wow.
Here in Ohio, they pay by the job. An average house would be $65-$85, but that wouldn't include windows.

But that would be a cleaning company ..who have all the eqipment and provide their own chemicals ...

ironporer Dec 22nd 2005 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
But that would be a cleaning company ..who have all the eqipment and provide their own chemicals ...

Yeah... in Tampa, I am sure there are plenty of women named Maria or Guadalupe who would work well for the $10 rate.

Ray Dec 22nd 2005 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by ironporer
Yeah... in Tampa, I am sure there are plenty of women named Maria or Guadalupe who would work well for the $10 rate.

I will get Joycee down there part time ...

anotherlimey Dec 22nd 2005 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Pimpbot

Will do ;)

ScousePete Dec 22nd 2005 2:04 pm

I hear Louise Woodward isn't doing much these days ;)

Elsie The Maid Dec 22nd 2005 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

Nope, that's for an independent local woman.

Ray Dec 22nd 2005 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Elsie The Maid
Nope, that's for an independent local woman.

Florida is a poorer paying state than most ..

TouristTrap Dec 22nd 2005 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ray

Where?? ????

The going rate in Tampa for a cleaning person is around $100 - $110 for 4 hrs, and every cleaner I know provides their own equipment and products. But good luck in finding someone reliable. Most don't even bother to arrive after a while and don't call to let you know, especially if you have small children. Most that do that type of cleaning would rather deal with the snowbird types. Commercial cleaning is very profitable over here, so most people will rather do that than clean people's homes.

As to a nannie, you'll pay a fortune. We don't have the Californian/Texan 'cheap labor' pool.

Ray Dec 22nd 2005 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by izibear
Where?? ????

The going rate in Tampa for a cleaning person is around $100 - $110 for 4 hrs, and every cleaner I know provides their own equipment and products. But good luck in finding someone reliable. Most don't even bother to arrive after a while and don't call to let you know, especially if you have small children. Most that do that type of cleaning would rather deal with the snowbird types. Commercial cleaning is very profitable over here, so most people will rather do that than clean people's homes.

As to a nannie, you'll pay a fortune. We don't have the Californian/Texan 'cheap labor' pool.

The lady who comes in .. rarely supply there own
I pay $60 for the cleaning of our 4 bed rentals ... and $50 for the 3 bed ..
must be you rich city people ..

TouristTrap Dec 22nd 2005 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
The lady who comes in .. rarely supply there own
I pay $60 for the cleaning of our 4 bed rentals ... and $50 for the 3 bed ..
must be you rich city people ..

You're getting a bargain there.

Sara B,

As to babysitting, why not ask your business partner if he knows a trusted teenager that is willing to babysit for you. They will come to the house and take care of your kids for a few hrs. Many folk do that. They pay around 9 - 10/hr.

Btw, wonderful that you found a home out there. I'd live in that area in a heartbeat if my husband didn't have his office on the opposite side of town! One of my favorite places in the entire area :)