Reload this Page >

Names on ticket

Names on ticket

Old Jul 31st 2007, 8:59 am
Just Joined

eligibb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Names on ticket

Hello all,

im not sure if this thead should be posted her or somewhere else, however if it should be somewhere else please let me know.

anywhoz, as per my previous post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447229

I am a UKC and later in the year i am to travel to the US under the VWP, marry my fiancé(e) who is a USC then apply for her visa to enter the UK as my spouse. that bit i have sorted out thanks to you guys.

However one thing that i have just thought about is how will the marriage and more importantly the name change effect my fiancé(e)'s visa/passport/airline tickets? as (using these as an example) my surname is Smith and her's is Jones. once we are wed, would we have to get her passport changed to Smith before she can either enter the UK or apply for a visa? or would she be ok to travel under her current name Jones and then change the passport at a later date?

just wondering if someone could please shed some light onto this question.

Thanks all for any help you can provide.

EliGibb
Old Jul 31st 2007, 2:58 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Names on ticket

Originally Posted by eligibb
Hello all,

im not sure if this thead should be posted her or somewhere else, however if it should be somewhere else please let me know.

anywhoz, as per my previous post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=447229

I am a UKC and later in the year i am to travel to the US under the VWP, marry my fiancé(e) who is a USC then apply for her visa to enter the UK as my spouse. that bit i have sorted out thanks to you guys.

However one thing that i have just thought about is how will the marriage and more importantly the name change effect my fiancé(e)'s visa/passport/airline tickets? as (using these as an example) my surname is Smith and her's is Jones. once we are wed, would we have to get her passport changed to Smith before she can either enter the UK or apply for a visa? or would she be ok to travel under her current name Jones and then change the passport at a later date?

just wondering if someone could please shed some light onto this question.

Thanks all for any help you can provide.

EliGibb
I don't think you can legally get married in the US under the VWP, if you can, you'll probably have to do a lot of convincing of USCIS that you have no intention to stay in the US. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I was told back in '98.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:01 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ridski
I don't think you can legally get married in the US under the VWP, if you can, you'll probably have to do a lot of convincing of USCIS that you have no intention to stay in the US. Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but that's what I was told back in '98.
Plenty of people fly to Vegas from outside the US to get married...they would have entered via VWP.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

miss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to beholdmiss scouse atl is a splendid one to behold

Im pretty sure you can marry here as long as you dont intend to stay in the USA. Like JG said, plenty of people come here to get married in Vegas and they would all prob be on the VWP.

As for the passport, whatever name is on her flight ticket is the name that has to be on the passport. You can change the name in the passport at the US embassy at a later date.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:22 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you can.

eligibb-you already have the intent to get married under the VWP thats the problem you have already pre-empted it thats a big NO NO as you already know so as long as you really are going to return to the UK then thats another ball game.

Oh she will change the passport at a later date she flys under the same name as her passport period.
Take her marriage certificate incase.

Entering the UK married to a UK Resident with no visa maybe the problem others will quote I am sure.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jul 31st 2007 at 3:39 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

There is no problem whatsoever marrying on the VWP, it's the adjusting of status/intent to stay after that's the problem. Since this guy is only going to get married with no intention of staying it shouldn't be a problem. If they have to provide an SS# for the marriage license and get somebody new or not informed they may have some hassle there but they will still be able to get it, there are procedures in place to handle stuff like that.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 3:43 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

Okay cool. Thanks for the corrections. What I was unsure of was whether it was legal to marry a USC under the VWP. I've found nothing that says you can't, as long as you do not intend to remain in the US after your 3 months runs out. Just as a question, how long does it take to file for your spouse to bring her to the UK? I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to wait a little while for her to do the whole legal name-change thing over here and get a new passport, etc., before filing to go over there, just to avoid confusion.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:15 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Okay cool. Thanks for the corrections. What I was unsure of was whether it was legal to marry a USC under the VWP. I've found nothing that says you can't, as long as you do not intend to remain in the US after your 3 months runs out. Just as a question, how long does it take to file for your spouse to bring her to the UK? I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to wait a little while for her to do the whole legal name-change thing over here and get a new passport, etc., before filing to go over there, just to avoid confusion.
You need this post on the Marriage based forum.
To file to get your new wifey to the UK either way it could be months even longer.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:55 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
You need this post on the Marriage based forum.
To file to get your new wifey to the UK either way it could be months even longer.
Sorry, could have been more specific. Was trying to find out for the OP. His question is really: "how will the marriage and more importantly the name change effect my fiancé(e)'s visa/passport/airline tickets?"

Note the three things there. Now she can't really change her name until after the marriage. Would it better for her to then wait for the new passport and other legal docs, such as SSN, etc. Then apply for the visa to the UK and then buy the ticket with the new name? Or would it be okay for her to get married, apply for the visa with her maiden name, fly over with her maiden name, and then change it in the UK?

I don't have an answer, unfortunately, sorry. But hopefully someone can help here. Also if this belongs in the Marriage Forum, then it needs to be moved there now.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

There's no requirement to change her name immediately, well I didn't for a while as I wanted to be liberated, but it then caused problems with various tickets in the future so I did.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Of course you can. Wherever did you get that notation from.

You can't have the intent of marrying and REMAINING IN THE US TO ADJUST STATUS but there is no law that says you cannot marry whomever you wish regardless of how they entered the US. The legalities come in with the issue of immigration.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:04 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

24 hours and she will have her visa
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:05 pm
Concierge

No, it is not an immigration post.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 5:31 pm
Diamond Geezer

Originally Posted by Rete
24 hours and she will have her visa
Would this need to be in her married name or is it okay to apply for this using her maiden name.
Old Jul 31st 2007, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

eligibb is an unknown quantity at this point

Would this need to be in her married name or is it okay to apply for this using her maiden name.
This is my main question, as i have already checked as long as i do not stay in the us after getting married (checked and it doesnt have to be vegas, according to her local authorities, as long as i can bring several forms of id, they can authorise a marriage licence and with that licence we can be wed by any person who has the "powers" to marry couples) then i am able to fly in, marry the USC, apply for her uk visa (as long as you prebook your appointment with the UK consulate/embassy) and they will either let you know then and there or up to 3 days after.

its then i get a lil stuck about names, will i have to put her name on the airline tickets as her passport/maiden name or will i have to put them in her (im presuming visa will use this) married name?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.