Names

Old Jul 19th 2002, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

beyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Names

When you get married, do you have do something document wise to keep your maiden name. I've never intended to change my name, but I've been reading some posts that make it sound like when you marry, your legal name automatically becomes your husbands and you have to get it legally changed back to your maiden name? This seems a bit rediculous, but I just want to bve sure because I'm definitely keeping my maiden name. Thanks in advance for answers...
Old Jul 19th 2002, 12:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Names

Originally posted by beyness
When you get married, do you have do something document wise to keep your maiden name. I've never intended to change my name, but I've been reading some posts that make it sound like when you marry, your legal name automatically becomes your husbands and you have to get it legally changed back to your maiden name? This seems a bit rediculous, but I just want to bve sure because I'm definitely keeping my maiden name. Thanks in advance for answers...
You have it backwards. The marriage ceremony allows you to take the surname of your husband. It is not mandatory. You are allowed to retain and continue using your maiden name if you choose to.

The only issue with using your maiden name vs. your married surname is with the IRS. There was been some ruling made not too long ago that IRS wants the social security card name to match the name used on the IRS tax return. For example my attorney employer uses her maiden name in the firm but her pay checks are made out to her in her married name and she files in her married name.

Rete
Old Jul 21st 2002, 4:20 pm
Mrtravel

Rete wrote:
    > For example my attorney employer uses her maiden name in the firm but her pay
    > checks are made out to her in her married name and she files in her married name.
    >

Of course, she could change her SS name back to her maiden name and she wouldn't
have to ever use her married name, since the SSN number would be tied to the name
she is using.

Old Jul 21st 2002, 5:20 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

To keep your maiden name, you don't need to do anything. You just keep going about your business as you always have. My only advice is to perhaps use the title "Ms." instead of "Mrs." so as not to confuse anyone.

Frankly, it's a bit of a pain in the butt to change everything over if you decide to take your husband's surname. You have to make sure you cover all the bases, among them:

* Social Security -- this is probably the most important. You usually need a certified copy of your marriage certificate to do this.

* Passport -- if it has a few years left before it expires, get a "name change amendment" instead of paying for an entirely new passport. It is simply a typed statement in your passport acknowledging your new name (at least it was when I got mine in 1998).

* Drivers license -- depending on where you live, it will probably cost you a few bucks to get a new card issued

* Credit cards -- need to get new ones with your new name

* Bank accounts

* Checks -- most businesses won't accept checks which list a different name than the one on your drivers license

* Insurance -- auto, health, life, homeowners/renters, etc.

* Rental lease or mortgage account

* Car registration

* Utility accounts

* Any mailing lists that are of importance to you -- for instance, my university's alumni email list

* Return address labels (if you like to use them)

* Probably several other things that I can't think of at the moment!

So you're actually saving yourself a bit of time and aggravation by keeping your maiden name!!

~ Jenney