British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Name changes (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/name-changes-736943/)

Anian Oct 26th 2011 3:59 pm

Name changes

I married my USC wife in the UK. When we move to the US permanently, she updated her driving license, presenting her marriage certificate for the new last name.

Yesterday she tried to get a new passport and was told that the marriage certificate wasn't sufficient to have her new last name on her new passport, she had to get something else filled out but can't remember what. I've done a few internet searches and it seems that getting married locally it would be enough but doesn't say anything more. Even worse is that it seems to vary from county to county. My county (Snohomish, WA) says "Some agencies will accept the souvenir marriage certificate retained by the couple. However, some agencies may require a certified copy of the official marriage record." What is my UK marriage certificate? Does it count as a certified copy of the official marriage record if I get a copy notarized?

ian-mstm Oct 26th 2011 4:15 pm

Re: Name changes

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 9697149)
I married my USC wife in the UK. When we move to the US permanently, she updated her driving license, presenting her marriage certificate for the new last name.

Don't know if she's done this yet, but she should update her name with SSA first... and then move forward.

Ian

rpjs Oct 26th 2011 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by Anian (Post 9697149)

Yesterday she tried to get a new passport and was told that the marriage certificate wasn't sufficient to have her new last name on her new passport, she had to get something else filled out but can't remember what. I've done a few internet searches and it seems that getting married locally it would be enough but doesn't say anything more. Even worse is that it seems to vary from county to county. My county (Snohomish, WA) says "Some agencies will accept the souvenir marriage certificate retained by the couple. However, some agencies may require a certified copy of the official marriage record." What is my UK marriage certificate? Does it count as a certified copy of the official marriage record if I get a copy notarized?

In the UK you usually get the certified copy issued to you by the registrar / vicar at your marriage, whereas in lots of countries (including most jurisdictions in the US) it's more common to have to obtain the official certified copy from the records office afterwards. So your UK cert. should be as official as it can get. You can apply to the General Register Office in Kew for a new certified copy but it probably won't be any different from what you already have except it will be typed/printed not filled-out by hand.

Anian Oct 26th 2011 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 9697190)
Don't know if she's done this yet, but she should update her name with SSA first... and then move forward.

Her yearly statements come with her new name, so I guess that has been changed.

And thanks rpjs. I'm starting to wonder if the passport person got confused and gave some wrong information.