Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Name Change Question?

Name Change Question?

Old Dec 26th 2001, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Sharon is an unknown quantity at this point

I was scouring the boards and I noticed several things that said as a woman you do -not- have to change your maiden name to that of your husband's when you marry. As an only child I always said I would try to keep my surname somewhere when I was married, but that was when I thought I might fall in love with someone in my own country and not have to -prove- to anyone my love for someone who wasn't of my nationality.

Is it really true I can keep my maiden name once we are married in the US and not change it on any documents and not have the INS look unfavourably at our marriage at the interview?

This would be wonderful if anyone has certainty in their answer. I would hate to keep it as my surname and then get to our interview and that cause a problem!

Thanks!
Old Dec 26th 2001, 10:03 pm
Michael Voight

"Michael D. Young" wrote:
    >
    >
    >
[usenetquote2]> > I was scouring the boards and I noticed several things that said as a woman you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > do -not- have to change your maiden name to that of your husband's when you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > marry. As an only child I always said I would try to keep my surname somewhere[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > when I was married, but that was when I thought I might fall in love with someone[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > in my own country and not have to -prove- to anyone my love for someone who[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > wasn't of my nationality.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Is it really true I can keep my maiden name once we are married in the US and not[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > change it on any documents and not have the INS look unfavourably at our marriage[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > at the interview?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > This would be wonderful if anyone has certainty in their answer. I would hate to[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > keep it as my surname and then get to our interview and that cause a problem![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Thanks![/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hogwash.... Many people are married and don't have the same last name. It is NOT a
mystery to IRS or INS, and both agencies have been handling this for many years.

Old Dec 26th 2001, 10:05 pm
Michael D. Young

Sharon wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Hi All!

Well I would worry about the IRS too, since your tax refund is going to get held up
each year. IRS verifies Social Security number (SSN) and name info from Social
Security records. If you try to take a spouse deduction and file as married, it's
going to kick out, because the last names don't match.

Take care,

Mike

Old Dec 26th 2001, 11:41 pm
Pondhopped

>
[usenetquote2]> > Sharon wrote:[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > I was scouring the boards and I noticed several things that said as a woman you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > do -not- have to change your maiden name to that of your husband's when you[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > marry. As an only child I always said I would try[/usenetquote2]
to
[usenetquote2]> > > keep my surname somewhere when I was married, but that was when I thought I[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > might fall in love with someone in my own country and not[/usenetquote2]
have
[usenetquote2]> > > to -prove- to anyone my love for someone who wasn't of my nationality.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Is it really true I can keep my maiden name once we are married in the US and[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > not change it on any documents and not have the INS look unfavourably at our[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > marriage at the interview?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > This would be wonderful if anyone has certainty in their answer. I[/usenetquote2]
would
[usenetquote2]> > > hate to keep it as my surname and then get to our interview and that cause a[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > problem![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > > Thanks![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Hi All![/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Well I would worry about the IRS too, since your tax refund is going to[/usenetquote2]
get
[usenetquote2]> > held up each year. IRS verifies Social Security number (SSN) and name[/usenetquote2]
info
[usenetquote2]> > from Social Security records. If you try to take a spouse deduction and file as[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > married, it's going to kick out, because the last names don't[/usenetquote2]
match.
    >
    >
    >

Sharon,

I am not a USC, I came on K1, married, kept my last name unchanged, got through AOS
and am getting through the rest of life with no questions, my children kept their
last name, we file taxes jointly, there are no problems for us married, filing
joint, with dependents, and with different last names, the IRS doesn't care. Many
people do not change their name on marriage, both US and non-US citizens (some of my
US friends didn't change their last names either). Keep your last name if that is
what you want to
do.

Old Dec 27th 2001, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Sharon is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks! That's great news