Name Change

Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

emiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really nice
Default Name Change

Have now arrived in US on L1 visa which all in all went rather smoothly. Now that we are here I can breathe again and I guess start thinking about how to change my name to my new married surname.

I got married back in April just before we moved to the USA in July so I didnt beforehand get a chance to apply for my visa in my married name. Therefore my passport, visa and now new US bank accounts, credit card and Social Security are all in my maiden name but ideally I would like to make the change if possible.

Does anybody know if I can do all of this without having to go back to the UK? Also do I have to register my marriage somewhere? Although we are British, we were last living in the Netherlands but got married in the Caribbean (just to confuse things ) So all I have is our marriage certificate from there.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of
Default Re: Name Change

We are in a new millenium, Does one have to change a name and assume a new identity just because of marriage? I can understand WPP ( Witness Protection Program )

YMMV
Old Aug 12th 2010, 12:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emiwar
Therefore my passport, visa and now new US bank accounts, credit card and Social Security are all in my maiden name but ideally I would like to make the change if possible.
For the US stuff, start with Social Security. Take your current SS card and marriage certificate and file a new SS-5. Once you get a new SS card with your married name on it, use that as proof to change everything else.

As for your passport, you should be able to amend it with a copy of your marriage certificate - or, if it's close to expiry, just get a new passport. Your visa will remain in your maiden name, but if you get a whole new passport, you'll need to carry both passports when you travel to ensure entry to the US with L status. When you renew your L visa, you can get a new visa with your married name.

Ian
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:48 pm
Forum Regular

emiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really niceemiwar is just really nice

Thanks ian-mtsm, thats a great help!
Old Aug 12th 2010, 2:56 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Originally Posted by anuny
We are in a new millenium, Does one have to change a name and assume a new identity just because of marriage?
I didn't change my name when I got married over 25 years ago, and that was the *old* millenium! (Neither did my wife.) Keeping the same name is so much easier.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

I had an INS agent in the boondocks of Washington State threaten to investigate me for having acquiring a visa "fraudulently" because I didn't take my husband's name. Mine wasn't even a marriage based visa! Never underestimate what freaks you'll meet in the boondocks.
Old Aug 13th 2010, 5:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

anuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud ofanuny has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TerryVA
I didn't change my name when I got married over 25 years ago, and that was the *old* millenium! (Neither did my wife.) Keeping the same name is so much easier.
Absolutely concur. Easier. Name change is an identity mutilation (Its my opinion, not jump me if you feel other wise )
Old Aug 14th 2010, 1:01 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

unless of course you are not particulalry enamoured of your original name and much prefer the new one

or

wish to honor a LONG standing tradition of changing your name to match your spouse. NOTHING wrong in choosing to follow (or equally choosing NOT to follow) a tradition.