British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Naked European found in Bikini (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/naked-european-found-bikini-341647/)

Patrick Dec 8th 2005 12:37 am

Naked European found in Bikini

I walked in on three of my females workmates discussing the local paper today that has a girl in a bikini on its front page every week. Then, all of a sudden and without prior warning, one of them decided to drag me into the conversation. She asked how I would feel if that was my 19 year old daughter dressed only in a bikini in the newspaper.

I told them it wouldnt bother me!

This sparked a completly seperate debate on why Europeans are more accepting than americans of nudity (bikinis = nudity?).

So,

1. whats all the fuss about a bird in a bikini

2. Are you, as a european, as prudish

Manc Dec 8th 2005 12:57 am

Re: Naked European found in Bikini

Originally Posted by Patrick
I walked in on three of my females workmates discussing the local paper today that has a girl in a bikini on its front page every week. Then, all of a sudden and without prior warning, one of them decided to drag me into the conversation. She asked how I would feel if that was my 19 year old daughter dressed only in a bikini in the newspaper.

This sparked a completly seperate debate on why Europeans are more accepting than americans of nudity (bikinis = nudity?).

So,

depends on whether or not she's fit I reckon.

Bob Dec 8th 2005 1:38 am

Originally Posted by Manc

true :D

antjen Dec 8th 2005 2:04 am

So,

Myself i dont See any problems with it - though i believe some of it stems from Americans being quite a religious bunch

Ant

dunroving Dec 8th 2005 10:13 am

So,

While we're on the subject, what's with the word "Speedo"? Every time I use it in class ("to measure body composition using the Bod Pod, the subject must wear a Speedo"), the kids smirk and titter. We're talking 22-26 year olds here.

Their explanation is that it's because they think of a guy wearing a Speedo. So, I lecture them on different cultural mores about bodies, and different gender expectations (why, for example, is it OK for a woman to wear a "swimsuit", but not a guy (I mean a figure-hugging swimsuit, not balloon shorts).

Giggle, giggle, then someone points out to me something about men having "bits sticking out". Unfortunately, being a college prof, I can't continue the conversation after that (but what I'd like to say is "Haven't you noticed? WOMEN HAVE BITS TOO!!! And they stick out even more!!!!") But, I just nod my head sagely and say "Oh, so that's the explanation, thank you...."

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 8th 2005 11:55 am

You havent shown them a copy of the Sun or Mirror to see what the reaction will be yet then?

Actually down here its wierd as you can walk along the beach 365 days per year and witness people of all ages and shapes wearing the mearest hint of a thong and no top at all yet if you were to wear those same items 100 yards away from the beach you would get arrested for public nudity. Bizarre.

CarlM Dec 8th 2005 12:03 pm

Naked European found in Bikini

Isnt that an oxymoron?

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 8th 2005 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Isnt that an oxymoron?

Actually when I read the subject I thought it was a National Enquirer thing where they'd found some mutated undressed Latvian wandering around Bikini Atoll. I was quite disappointed.

CarlM Dec 8th 2005 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

The bigger her charlies, the more acceptable it becomes..

anotherlimey Dec 8th 2005 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Actually down here its wierd as you can walk along the beach 365 days per year and witness people of all ages and shapes wearing the mearest hint of a thong and no top at all yet if you were to wear those same items 100 yards away from the beach you would get arrested for public nudity. Bizarre.

Apparently Miami Beach only allows people to sunbathe topless because of the high numbers of Europeans visiting.

Patrick Dec 8th 2005 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by CarlM
Isnt that an oxymoron?

No, the following are oxymorons

Military Intelligence
Fox News
pretty ugly
small crowd
original copy
virtual reality

Naked European is a redundancy - as europeans, by nature, are naked. They wander round the foot hills of Mount Killimanjaro speaking strange european languages like Mongolian while herding Kangaroos, all naked. Those europeans, God love 'em

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 8th 2005 1:54 pm

No, the following are oxymorons

Military Intelligence
Fox News
pretty ugly
small crowd
original copy
virtual reality

Naked European is a redundancy - as europeans, by nature, are naked. They wander round the foot hills of Mount Killimanjaro speaking strange european languages like Mongolian while herding Kangaroos, all naked. Those europeans, God love 'em

Yak herding surely

Patrick Dec 8th 2005 1:55 pm

Yak herding surely

If they have drunk too much vodka, sure

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 8th 2005 1:56 pm

If they have drunk too much vodka, sure

Or fermented Yak milk. I believe its quite potent.

Patrick Dec 8th 2005 1:57 pm

Or fermented Yak milk. I believe its quite potent.

Do you have a strange Yak fetish we should be aware of? Enough with the Yaks already