British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   N400 and questions about spouse (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/n400-questions-about-spouse-110167/)

Jack P. Aug 5th 2002 3:40 am

N400 and questions about spouse

Hello all,

I'm LPR. A few months ago I got married outside the US and my wife is living now in another country - she is not a LPR nor USC, however I plan to bring her here to live with me. Currently, I'm filling out the N-400 form and have a couple of questions regarding part 8 of that form (pages 5 and 6):

1) Part 8 Question B-4: she doesn't have SSN (quite obvious why) - so I leave it blank, right?

2) Part 8 Question B-5: what address should I enter as her home address? Do I leave it blank, write my home address or her current address in another country? Please keep in mind that there is no space for "Country" here.

3) Part 8 Question E-3: - Spouse's immigration status. Well, since she's not LPR not USC then it must be "other", but what else should I write here? She holds a tourist visa and visited me once.

Thanks,
Jack P.

Joey Aug 5th 2002 7:20 am

Re: N400 and questions about spouse

Jack,

You would write n/a in the SSN if she doesn't have one. At least that's what I
entered on my paperwork if it wasn't applicable to me. Just so you know if you are
not a USC, and neither is she, your in for quite the wait. I believe the wait is
something like 6 to 10 years before a visa number would become available for PR. If
you are planning on getting naturalized then you could change the status and speed
things up...but until then its gonna be a while.

Joey

"Jack P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm LPR. A few months ago I got married outside the US and my wife is living now in
    > another country - she is not a LPR nor USC, however I plan to bring her here to
    > live with me. Currently, I'm filling out the N-400 form and have a couple of
    > questions regarding part 8 of that form (pages 5 and 6):
    >
    > 1) Part 8 Question B-4: she doesn't have SSN (quite obvious why) - so I leave it
    > blank, right?
    >
    > 2) Part 8 Question B-5: what address should I enter as her home address? Do I leave
    > it blank, write my home address or her current address in another country?
    > Please keep in mind that there is no space for "Country" here.
    >
    > 3) Part 8 Question E-3: - Spouse's immigration status. Well, since she's not LPR
    > not USC then it must be "other", but what else should I write here? She holds a
    > tourist visa and visited me once.
    >
    > Thanks, Jack P.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Joey Aug 5th 2002 7:20 am

Jack I apologize....I must have read your post a little quick. Since you are filing
the N400 (Naturalization) it will speeds things up. I still think the process would
take a couple years though. Depending on how long your N400 takes to proces..

Joey

"Jack P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I'm LPR. A few months ago I got married outside the US and my wife is living now in
    > another country - she is not a LPR nor USC, however I plan to bring her here to
    > live with me. Currently, I'm filling out the N-400 form and have a couple of
    > questions regarding part 8 of that form (pages 5 and 6):
    >
    > 1) Part 8 Question B-4: she doesn't have SSN (quite obvious why) - so I leave it
    > blank, right?
    >
    > 2) Part 8 Question B-5: what address should I enter as her home address? Do I leave
    > it blank, write my home address or her current address in another country?
    > Please keep in mind that there is no space for "Country" here.
    >
    > 3) Part 8 Question E-3: - Spouse's immigration status. Well, since she's not LPR
    > not USC then it must be "other", but what else should I write here? She holds a
    > tourist visa and visited me once.
    >
    > Thanks, Jack P.
    >
    >
    >
    > --

Mrtravel Aug 5th 2002 9:20 am

Wouldn't it be "none"?

Joey wrote:
    >
    > Jack,
    >
    > You would write n/a in the SSN if she doesn't have one. At least that's what I
    > entered on my paperwork if it wasn't applicable to me. Just so you know if you are
    > not a USC, and neither is she, your in for quite the wait. I believe the wait is
    > something like 6 to 10 years before a visa number would become available for PR. If
    > you are planning on getting naturalized then you could change the status and speed
    > things up...but until then its gonna be a while.
    >
    > Joey
    >
    > "Jack P." <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello all,
    > >
    > > I'm LPR. A few months ago I got married outside the US and my wife is living now
    > > in another country - she is not a LPR nor USC, however I plan to bring her here
    > > to live with me. Currently, I'm filling out the N-400 form and have a couple of
    > > questions regarding part 8 of that form (pages 5 and 6):
    > >
    > > 1) Part 8 Question B-4: she doesn't have SSN (quite obvious why) - so I leave it
    > > blank, right?
    > >
    > > 2) Part 8 Question B-5: what address should I enter as her home address? Do I
    > > leave it blank, write my home address or her current address in another
    > > country? Please keep in mind that there is no space for "Country" here.
    > >
    > > 3) Part 8 Question E-3: - Spouse's immigration status. Well, since she's not LPR
    > > not USC then it must be "other", but what else should I write here? She holds
    > > a tourist visa and visited me once.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Jack P.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > --

Ameriscot Aug 5th 2002 12:02 pm

None/her real address/not applicable.

You can always attach a separate sheet if you are moved to explain further, but her real address outside the US should clarify her lack of SSN and immigration status.

Betastar Aug 5th 2002 2:20 pm

On Sun, 4 Aug 2002 23:13:57 -0700, "Joey" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Jack,
    >
    >You would write n/a in the SSN if she doesn't have one. At least that's what I
    >entered on my paperwork if it wasn't applicable to me.

This is incorrect. The question is VERY applicable (n/a means "Not Applicable") -
they want to know if she has a SSN. Write "None", not
n/a

Jack P. Aug 5th 2002 6:16 pm

Thanks!

Jack