Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

N400 - Online application or by Mail?

N400 - Online application or by Mail?

Old Jun 21st 2019, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

berthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really nice
Default N400 - Online application or by Mail?

I'm considering making this application, however (living in Arizona) I see the variance in processing times vary by a factor of 2 between Tucson and Phoenix. There's a "Phoenix Lockbox" / Online with regional handling office listed in some of the "VisaJourney" timelines. What is the difference between "lockbox" / Mail Application / Online?

Is there an opportunity to send application to Tucson or just have to send it to the default address and they'll process on basis of workload distribution?

Thanks

T

Old Jun 21st 2019, 11:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: N400 - Online application or by Mail?

It's based on geographic assignment. Whatever field office covers your ZIP code is where it will go for interview. I believe you can see the covered ZIP codes for each field office on the USCIS website.

As to mail or online, it really makes no difference.

Personally I think online is better since they don't have a physical item or physical evidence that can be lost in transit, it exists in the cloud and can move from office to office seamlessly, but that's me.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond reputescottyvisa has a reputation beyond repute

I filled it online. It won't make much difference either way, but doing it online walks you through the process and makes it a little easier to track.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

berthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really niceberthman is just really nice

Thanks to you both
Old Jun 21st 2019, 5:17 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Have you started?
I filled it out using paper form - using that as the basis for the research. I can look over each section and ensure it's correct and then when I'm happy with it all, fill in the online form and send that. I find it way too easy to not "see" an error online and doing it this way gives me another opportunity to make sure it is correct.
I did my replacement GC online and filled in my dad's name incorrectly. Pressed send and then woke up the next morning going "oh shit".
Old Jun 21st 2019, 5:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I filled it out using paper form - using that as the basis for the research. I can look over each section and ensure it's correct and then when I'm happy with it all, fill in the online form and send that. I find it way too easy to not "see" an error online and doing it this way gives me another opportunity to make sure it is correct.
To be fair, I did this too. It's harder to spot errors on a screen then in hard copy.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, my questions were answered. Unable to lock the thread.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 2:12 am
Forum Regular

Is it necessary to select that you would be willing to take the "Full Oath?"

Is travel history beyond 5 years mandatory? I have little information on dates of earlier travel

What "Additional Evidence" is suggested?

Last edited by berthman; Jun 22nd 2019 at 2:36 am. Reason: update
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 3:07 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berthman View Post
Is it necessary to select that you would be willing to take the "Full Oath?"

Is travel history beyond 5 years mandatory? I have little information on dates of earlier travel

What "Additional Evidence" is suggested?
Per the form you do that at the interview:
“NOTE: Do not complete Parts 16., 17., or 18. until the USCIS Officer instructs you to do so at the interview.”

Unless they changed the form in the last year, mine only asked for the last 5 years of travel:
”List below all the trips of 24 hours or longer that you have taken outside the United States during the last 5 years. Start with your most recent trip and work backwards. If you need extra space, use additional sheets of paper.” You can get this by downloading your travel history online: https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/

I uploaded:
3 years worth of tax account transcript
a copy of my green card

I think because I toggled between the 3 and 5 year option as I qualified for both it also asked me for:
wedding certificate

I don’t recall if it asked for them or not , but I uploaded copies of my children’s US birth certificates and passports.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 3:11 am
Forum Regular

Thanks

I'm doing the online application, so certain parts aren't likley available, as you suggest for filling with the officer assigned.

It's stated that only days outside the US in the most recent 5 years are counted, but no mention of tax records at this time.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 3:38 am
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by berthman View Post
Thanks

I'm doing the online application, so certain parts aren't likley available, as you suggest for filling with the officer assigned.

It's stated that only days outside the US in the most recent 5 years are counted, but no mention of tax records at this time.
Yes I did mine online, I am not 100% why I added the tax transcripts, but I had to show the lastest one at my interview:

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_f...pdf?download=1

read this document for extra guidance

https://www.uscis.gov/system/files_f...pdf?download=1

Last edited by tht; Jun 22nd 2019 at 3:42 am.
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 6:28 am
Forum Regular

Thanks tht

Tax uploaded.

Colour photo's to be added later, physically, I presume?
Old Jun 22nd 2019, 9:38 am
Often not so civil...

No photos are required for the N400. One will be taken at the biometrics appointment.