British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   N.Ireland to Texas-help please! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/n-ireland-texas-help-please-314986/)

Laska Jul 20th 2005 12:24 pm

N.Ireland to Texas-help please!

I really would appreciate some advice. I have read INS and homeland security sites over the last lot of months and have got invaluable information regarding moving to the states. I have just been referred to this forum by a friend, and I'm hoping to get some personal opinions.

This is the situation: I was in Texas in the spring visiting friends and I am now thinking about moving there. The opportunities fit what I am looking for in life and I feel that if I don't try I will regret it. A little bit about me: I am 24/female from Northern Ireland. i graduated last year with a BSC. Honours degree in Zoology and my speciality is canine behaviour.

I have friends in Texas and one is opening up a canine behaviour business and wants to hire me. He says that he can't find anyone else with my skills and that getting a work permit for me shouldn't be too difficult. I don't know...I want to do everything legally. I had a refusal for a 6 month visa recently because at that time my temporary job had just ended and my bank account wasn't strong enough. Basically the consul officer ripped me to shreds at my interview.

I talked to an attorney in Dallas (Eugene Flynn), and his paralegal says to get to america first then apply for the work permit rather than applying for it from N.Ireland. Apparently this way is easier? i just don't want to go there just to find that I'm turned away and deported or something. :confused:

I would really appreciate anyones experiences or advice.
Thanks in advance :)

Ray Jul 20th 2005 12:55 pm

Re: N.Ireland to Texas-help please!

Tell you friend to file for an H-1B visa for you ASAP...As the employers is up to him to do it.. Eugene Flynn will file for him..

So you talked to a Lawyer ..but listen to the paralegal .. you have a lot to learn .. with that advice the parelegal will have been fired by now ..

Manc Jul 20th 2005 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
with that advice the parelegal will have been fired by now ..

that was some awful advice given...............

Ray Jul 20th 2005 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
that was some awful advice given...............

Have you seen any Zoology films... Matt...

Manc Jul 20th 2005 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Have you seen any Zoology films... Matt...

what like on the animal planet channel.

or are you talking about filth again?

Ray Jul 20th 2005 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by Manc
what like on the animal planet channel.
or are you talking about filth again?

Yup animal planet ones... like Fox's "When "Pets" Go Bad"
What are the other ones ... Are they on Fox channel ...

Manc Jul 20th 2005 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
Yup animal planet ones... like Fox's "When "Pets" Go Bad"
What are the other ones ... Are they on Fox channel ...

I think a Fox is involved somewhere Raymond.

BritGuyTN Jul 20th 2005 7:02 pm

first of all, i'm in agreement with the bantering zoologists above

the paralegal should be fired

1. on presenting yourself at customs/immi you are likely to be denied entry based on your previous visa refusal
2. you can't file for a work permit, the employer has to
3. legal fees will be tough - will the employer pay for the application?
4. would you fit the following requirement

What is an H-1B?

The H-1B is a nonimmigrant classification used by an alien who will be employed temporarily in a specialty occupation or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability.

What is a specialty occupation?

A specialty occupation requires theoretical and practical application of a body of specialized knowledge along with at least a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. For example, architecture, engineering, mathematics, physical sciences, social sciences, medicine and health, education, business specialties, accounting, law, theology, and the arts are specialty occupations.

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 20th 2005 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN

1. on presenting yourself at customs/immi you are likely to be denied entry based on your previous visa refusal

You will get to go to secondary, so you need to make sure your non immigrant intent is clear.

Being refused a B does not prevent VWP usage.

Laska Jul 20th 2005 10:24 pm

Thank you for the info. I was refused a B2 visa and the consul officer at the consulate in Belfast informed me I have lost my visa waiver rights. I further spoke to INS and deportation at Dallas airport and they said that I would be admitted and that the consul officer was wrong. They also both stated that a little power in these consulates go to some people's heads and apparently my consul officer is famed for being a hard edged byatch! INS said they would admit me no problems if i had a return ticket and evidence of strong social ties outside the u.s. like an employer letter, but I'm not taking chances so I'm going back next week for another appointment...and another 60 quid, to get a B2 visa to go for a 2 week holiday with my boyfriend in august, and it is then that I will have my first face to face meeting with my attorney to see what action i can take.

How long does this H1B visa last for?

I know I have a lot to learn, which is why I am researching as much as possible and hiring an attorney. I also qualify for the lottery so that will be another route that I have to pursue. Some good things come out of living in N.Ireland!

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 20th 2005 10:32 pm

1. Your chances of a B are slim to nil.

2. Refused a Visa Per US Embassy London web site. One thing being hard edged, another being wrong.

While travelers who have been refused a visa under the provisions of Section 221(g) or 214(b) of the Immigration and Nationality Act are not ineligible to travel visa under the Visa Waiver Program, they will be questioned by an immigration official at the U. S. port of entry regarding the refusal by the Embassy or Consulate.

The traveler should carry with him or her evidence of his or her intention to depart the United States at the end of the visit. This is generally satisfied by furnishing evidence of strong social and economic ties to the traveler's 's place of permanent residence. There is no set form that this should take as each person's circumstances differ.

If the immigration officer is not satisfied that the traveler meets the qualifications for nonimmigrant status, the traveler will be denied entry.

3. H1 - 3 years, and can be renewed for another. You need an assurance from your Employer that they will sponsor you for a Green Card.

Ray Jul 20th 2005 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by Laska
I know I have a lot to learn, which is why I am researching as much as possible and hiring an attorney. I also qualify for the lottery so that will be another route that I have to pursue. Some good things come out of living in N.Ireland!

You cannot apply .. its your employers who MUST...
No need for you to see a lawyer at all ...
you will virtually have no involvement until the final interview ...

snowbunny Jul 20th 2005 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Ray
You cannot apply .. its your employers who MUST...
No need for you to see a lawyer at all ...
you will virtually have no involvement until the final interview ...

True for the H-1B. She will have to apply for the diversity lottery, however.

Hello, I'm in Texas with friends in Norn Iron. One friend says the Irish melt in these temperatures!

Welcome,
Amy

ladyofthelake Jul 20th 2005 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
True for the H-1B. She will have to apply for the diversity lottery, however.

No need for an attorney for that one either. The forms and instructions are freely available on the net and are submitted electronically.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1318.html

scrubbedexpat099 Jul 21st 2005 12:03 am

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
No need for an attorney for that one either. The forms and instructions are freely available on the net and are submitted electronically.
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...ypes_1318.html

But it is the Employer who submits them, even those who know a lot recommend a lawyer.