British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   MySpace (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/myspace-342409/)

BigDavyG Dec 12th 2005 5:48 pm

MySpace

Anyone looked at this website yet. It basically allows anyone to have their own little site - a bit like geocities except easier to use/set up. Anyway I heard about it on the news - its apparently extremely popular with kids. Some pretty messed up stuff out there.

Nia_Nia Dec 12th 2005 6:07 pm

Re: MySpace

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Anyone looked at this website yet. It basically allows anyone to have their own little site - a bit like geocities except easier to use/set up. Anyway I heard about it on the news - its apparently extremely popular with kids. Some pretty messed up stuff out there.

I've heard a lot about this site, mainly that its basically just a glorified online meat market.

MJC Dec 12th 2005 6:12 pm

And it's blocked in the UAE!!

SO it must be good!

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia
I've heard a lot about this site, mainly that its basically just a glorified online meat market.

BigDavyG Dec 12th 2005 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by Nia_Nia

Well that seems to be what a lot of the kids user it for which I fond a bit disturbing to be honest.

I should have stated in my original post that its maybe not a good idea to check it out at work.

basementwaj Dec 12th 2005 7:25 pm

Well that seems to be what a lot of the kids user it for which I fond a bit disturbing to be honest.

I should have stated in my original post that its maybe not a good idea to check it out at work.

hmmm, maybe i will check it out then!

Rockgurl Dec 12th 2005 8:14 pm

My Space rocks. People use it for all sorts of things, but I use it to network bands and musicians and I've found some really good ones. It's a good way to get your music heard. I also use it to keep in touch with friends rather than just emails because you can see when people are online when they use it. Here's my page: Rockgurl's MySpace page. Join up and add me!

Chorlton Dec 12th 2005 8:16 pm

I'm glad I read that before I googled it! ;)

Patrick Dec 13th 2005 12:58 am

I've had a webspace on there for about a year, I used to put a tonne of dirty stuff on there but then my babysitters found it so I had to really clean it up.

Neathborn Dec 13th 2005 1:09 am

I just heard about MySpace a couple of weeks ago when my daughter's school sent home a warning on it. Apparently, kids are putting their profiles on the site, which the school considers very risky.

Angry White Pyjamas Dec 13th 2005 2:26 am

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
My Space rocks. People use it for all sorts of things, but I use it to network bands and musicians and I've found some really good ones. It's a good way to get your music heard. I also use it to keep in touch with friends rather than just emails because you can see when people are online when they use it. Here's my page: Rockgurl's MySpace page. Join up and add me!

What the heck is that big red throbbing thing youve got between your legs!!! :eek:

geordiegirl2 Dec 13th 2005 2:32 am

All my 12 yr olds friends use it, some of the girls in his year have photos posted which make them look anything but 12 and they have given lots of personal info, which school they go too age etc, its really quite dangerous i think if policed properly, the registration says you have to be 14 yet these children are clearly stating they're younger.

CarlM Dec 13th 2005 12:22 pm

2 of my more unruly students were busted for showing themselves drinking Vodka in their on-campus rooms in their picture on this website. Silly little children!

jamjar Dec 13th 2005 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by geordiegirl2
All my 12 yr olds friends use it, some of the girls in his year have photos posted which make them look anything but 12 and they have given lots of personal info, which school they go too age etc, its really quite dangerous i think if policed properly, the registration says you have to be 14 yet these children are clearly stating they're younger.

From the myspace FAQ;

Q. Where do I report underage users?

A. Users must be at least 14 to join. According to the TOS, if a user is under 18 and misrepresenting their age, the account may be deleted. If you have sighted a user under 14 years of age on MySpace.com, please contact us with the URL or friend ID number and we will remove it.

My 15 year old babysitter and her friend both have pages where they claim to be 17 whilst giving their real D.O.B. So I think MySpace is just paying lipservice with this statement and obviously do not police the site unless someone makes a specific complaint.
It's scary the amount of personal information these kids are putting out there.

Patrick Dec 13th 2005 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rockgurl

Done!

Patrick Dec 13th 2005 2:59 pm

Before my 17 year old babysitters found it my profile started like this

Thanks to Pope and my Mum failing math I was born. I realized that Catholic school was actually Hell, so wondered exactly where I was going when I died.

I joined the Army at 16 and served in Her Majesties Right Guard, the best smelling regiment in town. I later transferred to the Scotch Guard, no one had anything on us. I later served in the Tactical Airborne Submarine Unit, one of the armies less successful experiments.

I married my first wife while I was in the Army, she was an incessant nag. One day the neighbor found her with 132 bullet wounds to the head and torso. The police said it was the worst case of suicide they had ever seen. They still haven’t found where she hid the gun.

After that I got a job on TV presenting the popular game show How gay is my Sphincter. After a couple of years the ratings dipped, it seemed the people had had there fill of “Sphincter”. The subsequent follow ups, How Lesbian is my Labia and how straight is my penis, was like an Arab in a Kibbutz (it bombed) and my television career was over.

The end of my TV career was the start of personal problems, I had a long struggle with compulsive lying, and it started shortly after I beat Pat Rafter in the Wimbledon Final. My second wife found me difficult to live with, the drugs and the alcohol where not enough for her to forget she was married to me. The marriage ended in the divorce courts, thats where I stabbed the bitch to death.

It got worse and sillier from there, I deleted the whole account (to cover my tracks) and reopened a cleaner version