British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Myrtle Beach, SC... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/myrtle-beach-sc-251188/)

waxwabbit Aug 26th 2004 8:49 pm

Myrtle Beach, SC...

HI guys

Does anyone live there?

What can anyone tell me about this area? Is it lively, whats crime like, price of property etc......

Theres a possibility of a transfer to there for me, so was wondering....

many thanks
Lee

edwords Aug 26th 2004 10:03 pm

Re: Myrtle Beach, SC...

I've never been there, but I've always had the impression that it's the "Redneck Riviera."

g1ant Aug 26th 2004 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by edwords
I've never been there, but I've always had the impression that it's the "Redneck Riviera."

Lots of shagging though. :)

Big Vern Aug 26th 2004 10:42 pm

When we arrived in NC those ads everywhere for Shagging lessons had me in full Finbarr Saunders mode...

Fnarr Fnarr

(Apologies to non-Viz readers...)

dunroving Aug 27th 2004 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Big Vern
When we arrived in NC those ads everywhere for Shagging lessons had me in full Finbarr Saunders mode...

Fnarr Fnarr

(Apologies to non-Viz readers...)

- and the Personal ads: "SWF, likes to shag...."

It doesn't seem like the Austin Powers movies had any effect on the use of this word.

g1ant Aug 27th 2004 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by dunroving
It doesn't seem like the Austin Powers movies had any effect on the use of this word.

And long may it continue.

One of my favourite websites.

NC Penguin Aug 27th 2004 1:32 pm

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
HI guys

Does anyone live there?

What can anyone tell me about this area? Is it lively, whats crime like, price of property etc......

Theres a possibility of a transfer to there for me, so was wondering....

many thanks
Lee

Why don't you go there for a visit yourself? You're in FL so you're not too far away.

waxwabbit Aug 27th 2004 2:36 pm

Ive got too much work to visit at the mo, so I thought Id ask it to the group........when Ive less work i will though.......

So, has anyone been there?

saraliz Aug 27th 2004 2:47 pm

I always thought Myrtle Beach was the 'Golfer's Riviera'!! Never been, but lots of people from my town (originally from Michigan) used to go to Myrtle Beach on holiday. All I know is lots of golf courses & a nice beach.

effi Aug 27th 2004 3:12 pm

As someone else said on here, it is the golfers mecca. I think that is the main source of revenue. The beaches are nice, but apart from the golf I don't think there is much else to do. We used to go every year to play golf when we lived in PA, we live in AZ now on a golf course so there is little point in travelling over there. If you play golf you will be in paradise, they have some of the best courses in the country.

ironporer Aug 27th 2004 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by waxwabbit
Ive got too much work to visit at the mo, so I thought Id ask it to the group........when Ive less work i will though.......

So, has anyone been there?

4 times, 3-4 days each visit (it was close to a customer I used to visit). I found it to be overbuilt with tourist hotels/resturants/minigolf and other such tourist traps. I would have to think the real estate prices would be out of this world due to all the snowbirds who retire there to play golf.

Nice beaches if you don't mind them being covered with jellyfish.

Lots of nice looking scenery to watch on the beaches during the March spring break...except then all the damn kids spend the night getting loaded and puking all over the streets.

dunroving Aug 27th 2004 7:24 pm

I took a trip there in 1996. Not sure I'd want to live in this kind of beach resort area. Too many tourists, too built up, housing too expensive.

Maybe there's a nice area close by to live... but Myrtle Beach itself doesn't get my vote.

waxwabbit Aug 31st 2004 1:17 pm

Ok guys

thanks for your input