Reload this Page >

My visa options for month on month off travel

My visa options for month on month off travel

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:22 am
Just Joined

michty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My visa options for month on month off travel

Good evening everyone,

I found this forum when searching Google for answers to questions I have and I must say, It is brilliant!!

I was wondering if some of you could explain what my best options would be for doing extended travel to the USA (With good breaks inbetween each trip)

Since I was quite young, I always wanted to spend a bit of time in New York (Other states too of course but I have no idea why New York, The place just has a hold of me and intrigues me)
A lot of my friends etc now have all got children/wife so it is getting a bit tedious with time at home. I would like to just get out there, Meet some new people, See how the other side of the world live.

I'll firstly give you a little information about me and my work (If that gives you a better idea, I am unsure)
I'm a youngish British guy (Just turned 29) and have recently started a job that I am really enjoying down in Africa. I work 28 days on and get 28 days off.
The company I am working for are a fairly new American company and I get paid in dollars (Not sure if this means anything when it comes to Visas etc)

As I have a lot of time off now and in a very good financial position, I would like to start travelling to the USA more. Obviously I would only be in the USA for a maximum of 26 days or so and then out of the country for roughly 30+ days due to my rotation.
I wouldn't be there every time I was not in Africa, I would split my times off with being and Britain and Travelling so say 3 months of the year I may be in the States possibly more if possible/When it tickles my fancy!!

Now, The questions...

If this were possible, What sort of Visa or paperwork would I need if I wanted to go over to New York every time I was at home?
As New York is quite expensive for hotels etc especially if staying for 3 weeks, I have even thought about renting an apartment for 6 months if that is allowed or failing that possibly try a hostel or something.

I want to keep everything legal as I will at some point be doing training courses, Office visits etc in the future so I don't want to risk getting banned from the country.

Any pointers and input is welcome.

I apologise if I have missed out on any information. If I have, Just say and I shall put it up. Many thanks.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:31 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My visa options for month on month off travel

Originally Posted by michty
Good evening everyone,

I found this forum when searching Google for answers to questions I have and I must say, It is brilliant!!

I was wondering if some of you could explain what my best options would be for doing extended travel to the USA (With good breaks inbetween each trip)

Since I was quite young, I always wanted to spend a bit of time in New York (Other states too of course but I have no idea why New York, The place just has a hold of me and intrigues me)
A lot of my friends etc now have all got children/wife so it is getting a bit tedious with time at home. I would like to just get out there, Meet some new people, See how the other side of the world live.

I'll firstly give you a little information about me and my work (If that gives you a better idea, I am unsure)
I'm a youngish British guy (Just turned 29) and have recently started a job that I am really enjoying down in Africa. I work 28 days on and get 28 days off.
The company I am working for are a fairly new American company and I get paid in dollars (Not sure if this means anything when it comes to Visas etc)

As I have a lot of time off now and in a very good financial position, I would like to start travelling to the USA more. Obviously I would only be in the USA for a maximum of 26 days or so and then out of the country for roughly 30+ days due to my rotation.
I wouldn't be there every time I was not in Africa, I would split my times off with being and Britain and Travelling so say 3 months of the year I may be in the States possibly more if possible/When it tickles my fancy!!

Now, The questions...

If this were possible, What sort of Visa or paperwork would I need if I wanted to go over to New York every time I was at home?
As New York is quite expensive for hotels etc especially if staying for 3 weeks, I have even thought about renting an apartment for 6 months if that is allowed or failing that possibly try a hostel or something.

I want to keep everything legal as I will at some point be doing training courses, Office visits etc in the future so I don't want to risk getting banned from the country.

Any pointers and input is welcome.

I apologise if I have missed out on any information. If I have, Just say and I shall put it up. Many thanks.
Travel on the VWP, stay outside the USA more than inside. Bring proof that you are due back at work on a certain date, just in case asked at the POE. So, 26 days in the USA, 3 months or so outside the USA, then another VWP trip. Should not be a problem.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Hi Rene, Many thanks for the prompt reply.

What would be your advise if I was away at work for 30+ days then travelled back to the USA after that? Maybe do that 3 times in a row to make use of a 6 month apartment rental (I would end up paying for 6 months rental but only be there less than 3 months, I believe it would work out cheaper than hotels)

Would I be at risk doing something like that?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 4:12 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Rene, Many thanks for the prompt reply.

What would be your advise if I was away at work for 30+ days then travelled back to the USA after that? Maybe do that 3 times in a row to make use of a 6 month apartment rental (I would end up paying for 6 months rental but only be there less than 3 months, I believe it would work out cheaper than hotels)

Would I be at risk doing something like that?
The less time you spend outside the USA, the more your chances increase of being turned away at the US POE. The POE officer might think you are trying to "live in the USA as a visitor", which is not allowed.

For best results, spend a lot more time outside the USA than you were just inside. I would space the VWP trips out a few times throughout the year, not back to back as you propose. A hostel sounds like a better plan than renting an apartment...it might be difficult for you to rent an apartment in your situation (i.e., you're a visitor, you have no US credit history...) Unless you're thinking of paying all 6 months in advance, that might work for you. But I don't advise doing back to back trips like you're thinking of, unless you don't mind being turned away at the POE.

Rene
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 9:57 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the information Rene. I guess that if that is the only way then so be it.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 3:55 pm

Thanks for the information Rene. I guess that if that is the only way then so be it.
Nothing is written in stone, so you can give it a shot. I just wouldn't do a 6-month rental agreement up front, because if you do get bounced at the POE, you'll be obligated to pay for an apartment you won't be using.

Rene
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Yeah I think you are right Rene. To play it safe, I'll just have to do a few trips with good time off. I don't want to take any chances and get blocked access to the USA.

Today I just found out an ex colleague has just bought property in Florida and lives there on his time off and not Britain now. I wonder how he manages that. Oh well. Thanks for the info Rene, I understand a bit better now, Just a little disappointed that you can't get a longer access visa without a lot of bother.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you've not been there, just 'dreamed' about it, you could get there and hate it. Stranger things have happened.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 1:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
If you've not been there, just 'dreamed' about it, you could get there and hate it. Stranger things have happened.
I've been to America plenty times before wether its business or holidays and just really like it.
Granted, I haven't been to NY itself yet but I am going later in the year for a week. The reason I was curious about visas was because I don't think I would get a lot done in a week and would like to go back and forth a few times to really capture it. Just a little planning ahead if I loved the place.
As you say though I may hate it compared to everywhere else I have been in America.