Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is my USA-born son already a British citizen?

Is my USA-born son already a British citizen?

Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my USA-born son already a British citizen?

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Yep, as I said, the following September.
The point I was trying to make is that "the following September" is not the same as "the September of the calendar year following the year of registration."

Consider a registration done in January 2014.

"The following September" would be September 2014 in the opinion of most people - since that is the first September following January 2014.

"The September of the calendar year following the year of registration" would be September 2015.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, here's the response from HMPO.

"We do still accept consular birth certificates however you are required to submit the original full birth certificate as well. The FCO is a completely different department from Her Majesty's Passport Office and this is why we require the information."

Not perfect but still a marked improvement over having to send the parent's original certificates and passports.

The original full birth certs of who? The applicant? The parents? Both?
Old Nov 5th 2015, 9:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
The point I was trying to make is that "the following September" is not the same as "the September of the calendar year following the year of registration."

Consider a registration done in January 2014.

"The following September" would be September 2014 in the opinion of most people - since that is the first September following January 2014.

"The September of the calendar year following the year of registration" would be September 2015.
Point taken.

The original full birth certs of who? The applicant? The parents? Both?
The applicant I presume. No explanation why this advice is not included in the support documents guidance however.
Old Nov 5th 2015, 11:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

The applicant I presume. No explanation why this advice is not included in the support documents guidance however.
I meant in the case of there being a consular birth cert for the applicant. Do they still seriously want the original US birth cert of the applicant and the original birth certs of the parents? If so, what's the point in having a consular birth cert? Does that just get you off the hook for sending in the parents' passports? I would have thought that a consular birth cert would be sufficient proof of British citizenship otherwise it's really not as useful as I first thought.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

it's really not as useful as I first thought.
Probably more useful if your kid is born in a place that doesn't keep good records or is in civil unrest. First thoughts are of many African countries, then I would suggest getting another birth certificate. My feelings are it will be fairly easy to get a US birth certificate for many years.
Old Nov 6th 2015, 7:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I meant in the case of there being a consular birth cert for the applicant. Do they still seriously want the original US birth cert of the applicant and the original birth certs of the parents? If so, what's the point in having a consular birth cert? Does that just get you off the hook for sending in the parents' passports? I would have thought that a consular birth cert would be sufficient proof of British citizenship otherwise it's really not as useful as I first thought.
I think they just want the applicant's birth certificate. I agree it doesn't make a lot of sense. Until late September the consular birth certificate by itself was sufficient. It also doesn't make sense that they deleted any reference to the consular birth certificate from the supporting documents guidance if they do in fact still accept it.

However given how often policies change I would argue it's still worth it in the long run. You can't be sure what the policy will be in two or three years' time let alone twenty or thirty but if the birth is registered now then you know you and your children (and your grandchildren) will always have access to an official government issued document that states your children's entitlement to British citizenship.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:00 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Rubbish. There is no suggestion that Boris hasn't always filed with the IRS as required.
Are you joking? He wrote a whole article about it, it's somewhere on the web. I remember seeing him interviewed on the news about it and he got dinged by the IRS for penalties on failing to file and had to pay capital gains tax going back some years.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 4:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Rubbish. There is no suggestion that Boris hasn't always filed with the IRS as required.
Boris Johnson to pay 'six-figure' American tax bill - Telegraph

'Boris Johnson has finally agreed to pay a huge tax bill to the US government ahead of his visit to America, despite previously insisting he would not bow to the “absolutely outrageous" demand.

The tax bill is believed to relate to the sale of a house in Islington, north London.

Mr Johnson and his barrister wife Marina Wheeler bought the Furlong Road house in 1999 for £470,000. After the London property market boomed, they sold the house for £1.2million in 2009 – a £730,000 increase.'

So 5 years later, he finally agrees to pay a tax bill he should have paid in 2010.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 1:19 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
Are you joking? He wrote a whole article about it, it's somewhere on the web. I remember seeing him interviewed on the news about it and he got dinged by the IRS for penalties on failing to file and had to pay capital gains tax going back some years.
No, not remotely. His article was nothing more than the usual complain about things, but don't actually take a stand that we expect from politicians like Boris.

I'd like to know where it's actually been documented that he didn't file his tax return? Clearly he did, as he was aware of the sum owed - and he cowered to the Americans so much that he agreed to pay it anyway, despite his nauseating moaning about it.