My U.S. starter car - $450 95 Chryslers Neon

Wikiposts

My U.S. starter car - $450 95 Chryslers Neon

Old Mar 29th 2004, 11:58 pm
Living in Milwaukee, USA!

mcjimbo will become famous soon enough
Default My U.S. starter car - $450 95 Chryslers Neon

Hi everyone,

I know in the U.S. a car is a way of life, and not a luxury. With the exception of a few big citys (NY,Chicago) with good transport systems. I'm moving to Wisconsin so I need a car to get about.

Anyway back to my question. My fiancee has found me a cheap car that a friend is selling. Its a 95 Chrysler Neon. Its the base model minus air conditioning with just over 100,000 miles on the clock.

It was owned by a hire company for 2 years before its current owner one of my fiancee's female friends has owned it. Its got a regular service history and no body damage, or problems we know of.

Of course we are going to get it checked out, but for $450 do you think its a good deal. She wanted to trade it in on a new SAAB and they offered her $300. I know Aussie and Brit car's but not America's. So can someone who's owned one of these cars let me know what they think of them, and whether or not its an ok deal.

I will replace it after I get a job and some savings, but for the time being I just need a car to get me from A -> B.

Thanks in advance

James
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: My U.S. starter car - $450 95 Chryslers Neon

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone,

I know in the U.S. a car is a way of life, and not a luxury. With the exception of a few big citys (NY,Chicago) with good transport systems. I'm moving to Wisconsin so I need a car to get about.

Anyway back to my question. My fiancee has found me a cheap car that a friend is selling. Its a 95 Chrysler Neon. Its the base model minus air conditioning with just over 100,000 miles on the clock.

Hi,
I've just today finished all the paperwork for my "starter car" and will have my own car for the first time since I've been here (18 months) Will be driving it this afternoon when I get back from the DMV with the tags and titles.
$900 - Plymouth Voyager van - 157,000 miles

A whole new world opens up when you have wheels.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

Scorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of lightScorchio is a glorious beacon of light

Has anyone tried one of these hybrid cars? We've found our dream house - well, actually, a dream plot of land and set of dream blueprints - but it's nearly 25 miles from work. I know petrol is still comparatively cheap, but it'd be nice not to go through several tankfuls each week! I've seen a few appearing on the second hand market and I'm tempted...
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My U.S. starter car - $450 95 Chryslers Neon

I am like WOW! I have been looking at that car, and the Pontiac Sunfire - and the best I have seen either advertised at in the online small ads is like $1,500 for that age and mileage - if it was me I'd snap it up in a heartbeat!

Good luck. :-)

Originally posted by mcjimbo
Hi everyone,

It was owned by a hire company for 2 years before its current owner one of my fiancee's female friends has owned it. Its got a regular service history and no body damage, or problems we know of.

Of course we are going to get it checked out, but for $450 do you think its a good deal. She wanted to trade it in on a new SAAB and they offered her $300. I know Aussie and Brit car's but not America's. So can someone who's owned one of these cars let me know what they think of them, and whether or not its an ok deal.

I will replace it after I get a job and some savings, but for the time being I just need a car to get me from A -> B.

Thanks in advance

James
Old Mar 30th 2004, 3:52 am
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, well to me it sounds a good deal.

I hired one of these once and it was fine and I had a friend who bought one in the UK and they liked it. In Florida anything without aircon is a complete no no.

For me though, insurance was hardly any cheaper whether i bought a sports car or a cheaper car, but i guess that will differ state to state.

Good Luck
Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:06 am

Originally posted by Dufus
Hi, well to me it sounds a good deal.

I hired one of these once and it was fine and I had a friend who bought one in the UK and they liked it. In Florida anything without aircon is a complete no no.

For me though, insurance was hardly any cheaper whether i bought a sports car or a cheaper car, but i guess that will differ state to state.

Good Luck
Thanks for your post. I guess I just want reassurance the these cars are alright. For instance if an American posted someting lik "Is a Rover Metro a Good car?" I could categorically say NO.

I just want to know what the pitfalls are i.e. dodgy gearbox, bad engine, or anything like that if they are known for.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:18 am
Yorkshire/London/Miami

Dufus is an unknown quantity at this point

well I see plenty of them on the road and they seem OK. The drivers quite often seem to be quite young. I think they are regarded as inexpensive cars but not in a terrible way.

Check out http://www.edmunds.com for reviews.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

I just want to know what the pitfalls are i.e. dodgy gearbox, bad engine, or anything like that if they are known for.
For $450 is it really going to matter?. lol
Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:21 am

Originally posted by Pimpbot
For $450 is it really going to matter?. lol
Hahahaha I guess you got a point. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't worthless due to high miles and make. Anyway if it dies in 6 months it will of at least served its purpose.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:28 am
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your post. I guess I just want reassurance the these cars are alright. For instance if an American posted someting lik "Is a Rover Metro a Good car?" I could categorically say NO.

At $450 and over 100,000 miles on the clock, it will all be down to luck, if the transmission does go out, it will cost more than the car its self.

In the U.K, there are alot more older cars driven around with the old "its got a year M.O.T guv". In the states its alot different, people invest in newer cars, as they know they will be clocking up plenty of miles on it.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 5:43 am
Carrot Cruncher

pilgrim22 is an unknown quantity at this point

100k miles on a 9-year old motor is not considered high mileage in the States, if anything, slightly below average, which is 12k - 15k a year.

Insurance works differently here as well, not by engine size. Driving history makes a huge difference, one fender bender of your own fault and it can double! Having no US driving history is not a big help either.

You're probably getting an OK deal for $450. Major caveats as mentioned by others, and the car is probably almost at the end of its useful life. American cars have (or had) a reputation of unspectacular reliability - I don't see half as many old Chryslers around as old Nissans.

my $0.02.

p22
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

supernav will become famous soon enoughsupernav will become famous soon enough

She's selling at 25% of it's blue book value.

That's beyond an amazing deal dude.

Even if it just freakin' MOVES, it's a good deal.

Do an auto trader search on cars below $500 and look at all the horrible junk that's out there. This is a gem.

-= nav =-
Old Mar 30th 2004, 3:50 pm
With 'er indoors :-D

Rumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really niceRumplestiltskin is just really nice

You haven't bought it yet? Then why not!

Not a bad little car and at that price it's a fantastic deal... used cars seem to hold their money a lot better over here and have higher mileage... A trader recently who was more over-enthusiastic than Arthur Daley himself was trying to sell me 5 year old cars 80k on for $11,000 - $15,000 - I laughed and left.

You can get a brand new Dodge Neon for $9,500 after rebates btw.
'
The Neon is ever so slightly cramped for me (6' 2") but I think anyone under 6' would be fine in it.

You still haven't bought it? Do it now!!!

p.s. I'd still rate the Rover Metro over the Austin Metro for what it's worth.