My Story

Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:35 am
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 38
monksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nice
Default My Story

I have not been a member of this forum for long, but have lived in the USA since 1980. Looking back on mine and my families experience, I cannot imagine what it must be like for those of you who are trying to get to, or are in the process of coming to the USA.

I answered an ad in the Daily Mail in 1978 from an agency, I think it was called Transcontinental, looking for skilled tradesmen to move to the USA. For a laugh, I applied and was asked to attend an interview in Birmingham. At that time traveling from Manchester to Birmingham for a job interview seemed ridiculous, but I went anyway. Needless to say I did not get a job offer even though I thought I interviewed well. A couple of months later I received a letter from the agency asking me to attend another interview at the Midland Hotel, in Manchester. By this time, my wife and I had not given any further thought to moving to the states and did not respond.
Needless to say, one night much later I was at home watching the TV when the phone rang and I was told there was a couple of people from a company in Cleveland, Ohio who wanted to meet me. So we went, my wife and I both had good jobs, we owned our own house and our two young boys were doing good in nursery school, why would we want to leave. Going in to the interview, not needing the job and not caring whether we would end up in the USA made for a very stress free interview. We walked away from the Midland without a care in the world.
Two weeks later I received a telegram (remember those) offering me a job in Cleveland Ohio. We thought about it and decided that if we passed up this opportunity we might regret it for the rest of our lives, so we said yes and left all the responsibility for the paperwork in the hands of the company who hired me. Remember, this was before the age of the internet and the access to information we have now. Every couple of weeks we received a copy of the Cleveland Plain Dealer and a covering letter saying that our applications to live and work in the USA were progressing. We had absolutely no idea what was going on or that there might be different types of visas or work permits that would affect our future lives. In all it took nearly two years for the paperwork to come through, during which time we did not really give the process much though, what would be would be. Eventually we arrived in Cleveland in November 1980 and our life in the USA began, it has not been without its ups and downs, some of which I might go into later, but in all it has been a great ride, one which I do not regret. Would I do some things differently? Sure, wouldn’t we all, but regret it. Never. I think what I am trying to say is that no matter what obstacles are put in your way, if you really want to go somewhere new, stick with it. Don’t let the waiting get to you and make the most of the opportunity you are given when you get there.
monksb is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:39 am
  #2  
 
Poppy girl's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Reno Nevada
Posts: 15,917
Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Story

Nice story and totally agree with the ending
Poppy girl is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:43 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
Tootsfromscotland's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Boulder, Colorado
Posts: 40
Tootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond reputeTootsfromscotland has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Story

Thankyou for sharing I like to hear positivity around emigration as I'm a newbie to this and have been exposed to a fair amount of negativity around it!
Nice to hear that whilst things weren't plain sailing (nothing ever is no matter which country you live in!), you didn't regret your decisions and made the most of your opportunities
Tootsfromscotland is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 1:53 am
  #4  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 904
cranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond reputecranston has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Story

thanks....look forward to hearing more when you have time.
cranston is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 2:18 am
  #5  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 5
Philklae is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: My Story

Thanks for sharing your story. I have just arrived to live and work in New York for at least the next 3 - 5 years and am hoping for more ups than downs.
Philklae is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 7:18 pm
  #6  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,259
BritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond reputeBritishGuy36 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Story

Originally Posted by monksb View Post
I think what I am trying to say is that no matter what obstacles are put in your way, if you really want to go somewhere new, stick with it. Don’t let the waiting get to you and make the most of the opportunity you are given when you get there.
Your story is good to read but I wouldn't want your comment above to be construed as an invitation to all and sundry to try and gain entry to the USA at all costs when in reality most have almost zero chance of being or becoming eligible to enter the USA legally.

I think what I am trying to say is that a note of caution and a dash of realism along with the 'don't let your dreams be squashed' message is appropriate, since it's infinitely harder to gain entry to the USA now than when you did it.
BritishGuy36 is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 8:49 pm
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Posts: 38
monksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nicemonksb is just really nice
Default Re: My Story

Originally Posted by BritishGuy36 View Post
Your story is good to read but I wouldn't want your comment above to be construed as an invitation to all and sundry to try and gain entry to the USA at all costs when in reality most have almost zero chance of being or becoming eligible to enter the USA legally.

I think what I am trying to say is that a note of caution and a dash of realism along with the 'don't let your dreams be squashed' message is appropriate, since it's infinitely harder to gain entry to the USA now than when you did it.
Thanks. What you say is very true. One of the main things I notice on this site is the difficulty it now is to gain access to the USA. It was not, nor never will be, my intention to give anyone false hope, I just wanted to give a little bit of encouragement to those who are already in the process of moving to the USA but think that it is a process with no end in sight.
monksb is offline  
Old Mar 7th 2011, 11:28 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 130
mwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of lightmwdake is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: My Story

We had absolutely no idea what was going on or that there might be different types of visas or work permits that would affect our future lives. In all it took nearly two years for the paperwork to come through,

While our paperwork did not take quite so long it was not an easy process.
We were told all the paperwork was done and had been sent; but, we never heard from the US Embassy. After they traced it they had sent it to the US Consulate in Liverpool. The problem with that was that the US Consulate in Liverpool closed in the 1950's. They had to send new paperwork to London; but, it all worked out in the end.

And, I like you we have now been in the USA for 30 years.
mwdake is offline  
Old Mar 8th 2011, 1:29 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Location: North East Ohio, USA
Posts: 1,513
Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My Story

Originally Posted by monksb View Post
I have not been a member of this forum for long, but have lived in the USA since 1980. Looking back on mine and my families experience, I cannot imagine what it must be like for those of you who are trying to get to, or are in the process of coming to the USA.

I answered an ad in the Daily Mail in 1978 from an agency, I think it was called Transcontinental, looking for skilled tradesmen to move to the USA. For a laugh, I applied and was asked to attend an interview in Birmingham. At that time traveling from Manchester to Birmingham for a job interview seemed ridiculous, but I went anyway. Needless to say I did not get a job offer even though I thought I interviewed well. A couple of months later I received a letter from the agency asking me to attend another interview at the Midland Hotel, in Manchester. By this time, my wife and I had not given any further thought to moving to the states and did not respond.
Needless to say, one night much later I was at home watching the TV when the phone rang and I was told there was a couple of people from a company in Cleveland, Ohio who wanted to meet me. So we went, my wife and I both had good jobs, we owned our own house and our two young boys were doing good in nursery school, why would we want to leave. Going in to the interview, not needing the job and not caring whether we would end up in the USA made for a very stress free interview. We walked away from the Midland without a care in the world.
Two weeks later I received a telegram (remember those) offering me a job in Cleveland Ohio. We thought about it and decided that if we passed up this opportunity we might regret it for the rest of our lives, so we said yes and left all the responsibility for the paperwork in the hands of the company who hired me. Remember, this was before the age of the internet and the access to information we have now. Every couple of weeks we received a copy of the Cleveland Plain Dealer and a covering letter saying that our applications to live and work in the USA were progressing. We had absolutely no idea what was going on or that there might be different types of visas or work permits that would affect our future lives. In all it took nearly two years for the paperwork to come through, during which time we did not really give the process much though, what would be would be. Eventually we arrived in Cleveland in November 1980 and our life in the USA began, it has not been without its ups and downs, some of which I might go into later, but in all it has been a great ride, one which I do not regret. Would I do some things differently? Sure, wouldn’t we all, but regret it. Never. I think what I am trying to say is that no matter what obstacles are put in your way, if you really want to go somewhere new, stick with it. Don’t let the waiting get to you and make the most of the opportunity you are given when you get there.
Are you still living in the Cleveland area?

Last edited by Derrygal; Mar 8th 2011 at 1:30 am. Reason: Just read another one of your posts - now I see you're in Wisconsin.
Derrygal is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.