Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is my son a Brit?!

Is my son a Brit?!

Old Dec 15th 2010, 3:21 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is my son a Brit?!

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Why not just apply for a UK passport for him? If he gets it, great... if not, you'll know the answer to your question. Worst case scenario... all you're out is the filing fee and a few weeks!

Ian

That's great if you are flush. However, this year far too many are living skint due to the economy.
Old Dec 15th 2010, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

thanks to everyone again - sounds like my best bet will be to apply at the embassy for the birth registration, which will hopefully affirm my sons status as a Brit.

Just need to wait another couple of weeks for his birth certificate, and then I'll give it a shot!

thx,
Matt
Old Dec 16th 2010, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

mmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to allmmhendrie is a name known to all

ok so i was able to get my son's birth certificate today, and will now begin the birth registration application!!!

One bump in the road is actually my wife's birth cert. - it turns out we don't have an original of her birth certificate, and her original is sealed. However, I'm reading the application, my wife is a USC and therefore my son isn't get Brit from her - (3) on page one of the app indicates we don't need an original of her birth cert. (just mine) - she's ok with a photocopy of the cert or a photocopy of the passport - am I reading that correctly??:

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/resources/...reg-app-23-feb

thanks,
Matt
Old Dec 17th 2010, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamercon
First of all, you are probably British citizen otherwise than by descent since when you were born, your father was in designated service for the UK. So your son is a british citizen by descent automatically. (and not decent, this is not about decency)

But even if you were British by descent, you could register your child as a british citizen under section 3(2) of the british nationality act.

You can read here for details:
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br.../bornoverseas/
He is British..his parents where on an RAF base, if they had not been he would have been born in UK. His son is British also in that case.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 2:54 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ldyinlv
He is British..his parents where on an RAF base, if they had not been he would have been born in UK. His son is British also in that case.
not necessarily, depends on the year, being on base doesn't always mean much on its own.
Old Dec 17th 2010, 5:20 am
Banned

athlonfx is an unknown quantity at this point

this is very funny, how do other people know whether your son a Brit or not?
Old Dec 17th 2010, 4:54 pm
Forum Regular

well...there are some folks here who have a good grasp over what qualifies people as being British, vs. British by decent - the point being if I'm British, my son is also British at birth, if I'm British by decent, my son could be eligible to be British, but not necessarily British at birth.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious about this. I've always assumed I am British by birth rather than by descent. My birth certificate says place of birth is Royal Naval Hospital, Malta, and gives my father's RAF rank, and I've always just assumed that this is equal to being born in the UK.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:34 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

BTW was your dad in 203 Squadron? He would've worked with my stepdad if so - we were out there in 1976.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 3:45 am
Forum Regular

nope - 13 squadron - what did your dad do, there's still a chance they know each other? which Naval hospital was it?
Old Dec 19th 2010, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond reputeldyinlv has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
nope - 13 squadron - what did your dad do, there's still a chance they know each other? which Naval hospital was it?
OK...British by desent has always to me meant..Hipathetically an Indian comes to England and becomes a citizen.. then their child is british by desent..
If you parents are Britisah born and you where born on a british military base..you are BRITISH...period!!!!
Old Dec 19th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

OK...British by desent has always to me meant..Hipathetically an Indian comes to England and becomes a citizen.. then their child is british by desent..
Well, in that case you clearly don't understand what "British by descent" actually means ...
Old Dec 19th 2010, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Well, in that case you clearly don't understand what "British by descent" actually means ...

Agree.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 2:51 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

If you parents are Britisah born and you where born on a british military base..you are BRITISH...period!!!!
British by descent mean.

I born and raised in England.
move to the USA.
I have a kid.
the kid has never lived in britain, ever.
the kid is British through descent of the fact that I am a British Citizen by birth.
Old Dec 19th 2010, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by mmhendrie
The Naval Hospital in Mtarfa. My stepdad was a pilot with 203 Squadron flying Nimrods at RAF Luqa. It was a fabulous place to grow up.

Interested to know how you get on with the UK passport for your son. Good luck...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.