Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My shipping / airfreight experience

My shipping / airfreight experience

Old Oct 16th 2009, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My shipping / airfreight experience

Originally Posted by orudge
And everything's here. Seems to be in one piece, although a couple of the boxes weren't as well padded out as they should have been and seem to be a little squashed. But the contents should be OK... shall have to check them out after work.
Score!
Old Dec 6th 2009, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

aes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud ofaes1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I thought that I’d share this in case it was of use to anyone…

After six years living apart, I was finally moving permanently to the US to be with my UKC husband. I was taking personal effects only, no furniture.

I purchased double-walled cardboard boxes and packing paraphenalia from here: http://www.ukboxesdirect.com/categor...-boxes-2-2.php They arrived within two business days.

I packed 12 boxes with my personal effects (clothes, books, cooking/baking ware, course papers, photos etc). I don’t know how accurate my weighing was – my husband stepped on the bathroom scales with each box and we simply extracted his weight from the number! Total weight 204kg.

I numbered each of the unsealed boxes and wrote on each of them what the exact contents were. At the same time, I input this information onto a word document on my laptop, along with the weight and the boxes measurements.

Through BE, I had heard about companies like: http://www.interparcel.com whereby your parcels/boxes could travel door to door in less than a week via a reputable company like Fedex or DHL.

Once I had all the information about my shipment (ie box numbers, their sizes and weights), I obtained several on-line quotes for air freight and for standard sea freight.

There was quite a difference in prices between providers. I attempted to get hold of the air freight dept of several airlines, but I didn’t try too hard….I was out of time!

Ultimately I chose to go with: http://www.wedelivertheworld.co.uk/index.php who trade under then name of “Fast Lane”. I had several provider and speed-of-delivery options. I chose DHL’s economy (or something similar) which had a usual arrival time of 4 – 7 days after collection. It was the cheapest DHL option, and meant that I could specify the date of collection but not the specific time slot, not even morning vs afternoon.

Here’s what happened…

Monday lunchtime
I finally finished packing, weighing and my inventory.

I found the company I wanted to go with online. I had a quick question about insurance. I rang the company, who were very helpful and answered my questions. I completed my order online, paying by credit card. I then printed out all of the associated paperwork including a number of delivery labels. I printed 36, as I wanted three for each box (one attached inside and outside, and a spare loose one inside). The delivery address was my husband’s work address.

Tuesday
Fast Lane sent an email confirming the airway bill arrangements, including a copy of what one looks like and what I need to write on it….if I mucked this up, I pay double!

Wednesday 230pm
DHL van pulled up. Mr DHL visually inspected that all boxes are unopened. Lovely DHL man then helped hubby seal all boxes with our packing tape. DHL man was expecting an airway bill for each box. I only had one to cover the entire shipment. (He might also have been expecting a US customs form cf3299 for personal effects – I cant remember.) DHL man goes away, leaving the boxes behind – I think he takes the airway bill?

Wednesday 355pm
DHL man comes back – still happy and courteous according to hubby– to collect the boxes. (?Airway bill photocopy now attached to all boxes?) He made a throwaway comment along the lines of “USA? Probably be on the plane in a couple of hours and at the office tomorrow…!”

Thursday 6pm
Hubby gets a phone call from DHL USA. (He’s still in the UK with me.) My boxes have arrived in the USA. DHL USA needs a copy of his passport and a completed customs form cf3299 faxed or scanned to them, and items will be released immediately. Eek! Too fast for us! Thankfully we had until Sept 10th before they’d be sent back at my expense to the UK….

Wednesday – morning Pacific Time
Hubby now back in the office. He emailed scanned copies of the requested documents to DHL USA.

Thursday 2pm Pacific Time
Ozzidoc’s 12 boxes all arrived unopened, in one (12) pieces, everything seems to be in good order an undamaged.

Friday
Ozzidoc realised that she has too much stuff and not enough room!!!!!!!
Just read this post. Great!! Thanks for sharing!!! I am doing the trip the other way round, back to UK from US, hopefully early Spring. Taking back personal effects only. My question, do you remember the size of your boxes? I am still in the planning stage, will have mainly books, clothes, some china/pictures, so I am not too sure how small/big my boxes should be.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

Thanks for all these details. I was going to use Excess Baggage for my personal effects, the sea option but going to check out fast lane...
Old Jan 14th 2010, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

rachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nicerachococo is just really nice

OK..they need weights and I have nothing to weigh on and haven't packed the boxes yet!!
If time isn't so much of an issue which company best for shipping cheap? (ideally on volume rather than weight)
Thanks
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rachococo
OK..they need weights and I have nothing to weigh on and haven't packed the boxes yet!!
If time isn't so much of an issue which company best for shipping cheap? (ideally on volume rather than weight)
Thanks
Don't you even have a pair of bathroom scales? That's what I use to weigh my suitcases before I fly...or are your things too heavy for that?
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:46 pm
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Don't you even have a pair of bathroom scales? That's what I use to weigh my suitcases before I fly...or are your things too heavy for that?
I had to send a lot back home to England and so rather than weight I went with cubic feet and got 200. Cost for everything thats tax, door to door pick up and drop off and insure was $1700. Weight wise, can't tell you I had 18 boxes, all 4,5 cubic feet and I they were not light at all.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Which company was that with - sounds good? I have the cubic feet for my goods... and no bathroom scales. I can get some, but not packed yet, our house only exchanged yesterday!!
Old Jan 14th 2010, 2:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
I guessed the weights to get an idea of the quotes. I did this based on the empty boxes that I'd bought.

I then packed most of my stuff over a couple of days. Once I'd packed everything, my husband stood on the bathroom scales with the boxes individually (he's very strong!). We deducted his weight from the total.

This way of measuring ended up being pretty accurate!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud ofCherylbe has much to be proud of

Which company was that with - sounds good? I have the cubic feet for my goods... and no bathroom scales. I can get some, but not packed yet, our house only exchanged yesterday!!
I used Website: www.osishipping.com and delt with a guy by the name of Tom, great to work with and always good at calling and emailing me back
[email protected]
Old Jan 14th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

I used Website: www.osishipping.com and delt with a guy by the name of Tom, great to work with and always good at calling and emailing me back
[email protected]
Old Jan 14th 2010, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, going to check them out now!
Old Feb 17th 2011, 1:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

So many people have been asking about this lately, I finally remembered to add it to the wiki.

Thank you, Ozzidoc!
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Shipping_Via_Airfreight