Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My passport, visa and I94 is damaged - help!!

My passport, visa and I94 is damaged - help!!

Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

axon 1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My passport, visa and I94 is damaged - help!!

My first post here... so hello everyone!

Basically I'm in CA for a few years working on a J1 visa.

A week ago, I was staying at a friend's house and her brother's boyfriend's dog ate my passport. Well chewed two corners of it anyway. Also the I94 card that was in it is rather (no pun intended) dog-eared although you can still read the number and my name on it. On the passport you can still read my details and see the photo. Although the last digit of the number on the inside front page is gone, the passport no. can still be obtained frmo the back page.

I can see why you probably find this amusing, but I'm going on holiday back to Europe in only 3.5 weeks time and I'm scared that they might not let me on my flight :scared: or that they might let me on but tell me that there might be problems letting me back into the US but also .

Can anybody give me some advice (the US consul in San Francisco wasn't very helpful on the telephone). If I get another passport it'll take 2 weeks, but I guess I'd need to get another visa for the new passport. How long will that take? I feel a mild sense of panic coming on.....
Old Aug 19th 2005, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My passport, visa and I94 is damaged - help!!

I'm no expert but when I renewed my passport recently I had to do it in Washington, as far as I'm aware they are the only place issuing UK passports in the US. Very easy process and only took 10 days. I would call Washington because they are actually very helpfull. As for your visa my understanding is that you should be able to carry both passports at immigration.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 11:06 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Think I'd copy my passport and I94 and travel as is. Explain what happened if they ask. Can't see them either stopping you leaving the US or entering your home country. You can then change your passport at your leisure. Also keep the boarding pass stubs etcetera as proof you left within the allotted time. Bring copies of these with you on any return trip just in case.

If you live in a country that does not return your old passport when renewing, you'll presumably need to book at the local consulate to get a new one. Make sure you copy it before you do it.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 11:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not quite the same but I fell of my bike when crossing a river in Sri Lanka and mine is a bit stained, had it queried once, and that by UK Immigration, in 5 years. Told them the cause, mumbled something about getting a new one but never have.

So depends on the extent of the damage.
Old Aug 19th 2005, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

axon 1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boiler
Not quite the same but I fell of my bike when crossing a river in Sri Lanka and mine is a bit stained, had it queried once, and that by UK Immigration, in 5 years. Told them the cause, mumbled something about getting a new one but never have.

So depends on the extent of the damage.

Well it actually has a piece each from the top left corner and bottom right corner missing!