Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My old man..........

My old man..........

Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My old man..........

Originally Posted by Manc
He's a great guy, really he is.

but........ there's always a but.......

has a warped sense of distance.

He texted me the other day, said he's booked a week in the USA with his wife and wants to meet up.

He's flying to F***ing Boston.

no connection. no change of planes, that's it...... Boston.

he does this all the time.

Booked a trip to New York 3 years ago over thanksgiving. told us to meet him there.

How do I say, in a polite and not livid as all buggery "Dad, you've never been to Ohio in the 3 years I've lived there, and only been to my house ever once, nearly 10 years ago..... shove boston up your arse.... because when I want to see my family, I fly to Manchester, not sodding Paris"

I really have no desire to spend a grand to traipse around after my stepmother looking in all the shops I have less than 2 miles from my house.

answers on a postcard.
Let him know that planes fly from Boston to Ohio, and you can give him a rate, plus connection times.

Don't you just love your families and lack of Geographical Comprehension? My wife and I were driving through Germany on our Honeymoon. She asked me if there would be any chance of visiting Auscwitz. I replied "Sure we can........IF WE DRIVE TO POLAND!"

Jim.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Englishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to beholdEnglishman43 is a splendid one to behold

How do I say, in a polite and not livid as all buggery "Dad, you've never been to Ohio in the 3 years I've lived there, and only been to my house ever once, nearly 10 years ago..... shove boston up your arse.... because when I want to see my family, I fly to Manchester, not sodding Paris"

Just proof read it for you but I think it's in a usable form as is...
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:55 am
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse Express
Let him know that planes fly from Boston to Ohio, and you can give him a rate, plus connection times.

Don't you just love your families and lack of Geographical Comprehension? My wife and I were driving through Germany on our Honeymoon. She asked me if there would be any chance of visiting Auscwitz. I replied "Sure we can........IF WE DRIVE TO POLAND!"

Jim.
Auschwitz on your honeymoon, she's a romantic one your missis.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
Auschwitz on your honeymoon, she's a romantic one your missis.
That was after doing the Anne Frank House, in Amsterdam, too.

Jim.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 10:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Marocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond reputeMarocco has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she had been looking at some old maps of Germany.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

njmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nicenjmackem is just really nice

He's a great guy, really he is.

but........ there's always a but.......

has a warped sense of distance.

He texted me the other day, said he's booked a week in the USA with his wife and wants to meet up.

He's flying to F***ing Boston.

no connection. no change of planes, that's it...... Boston.

he does this all the time.

Booked a trip to New York 3 years ago over thanksgiving. told us to meet him there.

I really have no desire to spend a grand to traipse around after my stepmother looking in all the shops I have less than 2 miles from my house.

answers on a postcard.
I feel quite bad moaning at my parents for travelling into JFK rather than Newark because of the distance...

Its family though, you can be honest about how much of a pain in the arse they are being...
Old Jun 9th 2011, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by njmackem
I feel quite bad moaning at my parents for travelling into JFK rather than Newark because of the distance...
Tell them to get a Cab from JFK to Newark, and then you won't need to tell them how much of a pain the arse it is to travel between the two;-)

Jim
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:27 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

That was after doing the Anne Frank House, in Amsterdam, too.
Jim.
Hang on a minute, you had already gone from Netherlands to Germany, so she was only asking you to do what you had already done, just go to the next country over, very unreasonable of you.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Hang on a minute, you had already gone from Netherlands to Germany, so she was only asking you to do what you had already done, just go to the next country over, very unreasonable of you.
Yes, but, we already had our schedule lined up to pass through Luxembourg to Paris, and then back to Blighty.

Jim.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 7:54 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Yes, but, we already had our schedule lined up to pass through Luxembourg to Paris, and then back to Blighty.

Jim.
So?? My female will quite often ask me to turn left or right and ALWAYS after we have passed the turn.
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lyonsden1193
My female
Are you Tarzan?
Old Jun 9th 2011, 8:27 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

So in the end I just texted him back and didn't commit to anything but said we've already planned our weeks holiday going camping in Maine.......

who knows.

I'll send him a text in a few weeks saying I'm going to Istanbul can he meet me for a pint
Old Jun 9th 2011, 9:07 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Are you Tarzan?
Yes when she pulls stunts like that .... it means I have to make wild swings
Old Jun 9th 2011, 11:02 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: My old man..........

Originally Posted by njmackem

Its family though, you can be honest about how much of a pain in the arse they are being...
I often have to fly from JFK (with Singapore Airlines) even though I live 10 miles from Newark airport and have to go past it to get to JFK!

The best way to get to and from JFK is the State Shuttle (shared van service). It's an hourly minibus which is non-stop between EWR and JFK (and vice-versa) and much cheaper than going by car as the tolls on the bridges/tunnels are expensive....also less stress than driving there and back.

You can arrange to pick up your parents at EWR, Terminal A Arrivals - it's the first stop for the Shuttle from JFK. I always get friends and rellies to do that if they're arriving at JFK:

http://www.goairlinkshuttle.com/ (the vans JFK-EWR are usually maroon in colour and say 'State Shuttle' on the side.

No need to book ahead, just tell your parents to go to the arrivals hall and go to the Ground Transportation desk. The rep there will put them on the next shuttle and they can pay by cash or credit card.