Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My old man..........

My old man..........

Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default My old man..........

He's a great guy, really he is.

but........ there's always a but.......

has a warped sense of distance.

He texted me the other day, said he's booked a week in the USA with his wife and wants to meet up.

He's flying to F***ing Boston.

no connection. no change of planes, that's it...... Boston.

he does this all the time.

Booked a trip to New York 3 years ago over thanksgiving. told us to meet him there.

How do I say, in a polite and not livid as all buggery "Dad, you've never been to Ohio in the 3 years I've lived there, and only been to my house ever once, nearly 10 years ago..... shove boston up your arse.... because when I want to see my family, I fly to Manchester, not sodding Paris"

I really have no desire to spend a grand to traipse around after my stepmother looking in all the shops I have less than 2 miles from my house.

answers on a postcard.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:37 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My old man..........

Of course, normally I would call my sister for advice, but 2 years ago she went to Florida for 2 weeks and asked me to meet her there.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Honesty is the best policy?
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:48 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Of course, normally I would call my sister for advice, but 2 years ago she went to Florida for 2 weeks and asked me to meet her there.
LOL

Last year my parents went to Florida, no hint about us meeting them there, I made the suggestion; now I see it all, they were just being smart. I was manipulated.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Old Jun 8th 2011, 1:49 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

He texted me the other day, said he's booked a week in the USA with his wife and wants to meet up.

Booked a trip to New York 3 years ago over thanksgiving. told us to meet him there.

How do I say, in a polite and not livid as all buggery "Dad, you've never been to Ohio in the 3 years I've lived there, and only been to my house ever once, nearly 10 years ago..... shove boston up your arse.... because when I want to see my family, I fly to Manchester, not sodding Paris"

I really have no desire to spend a grand to traipse around after my stepmother looking in all the shops I have less than 2 miles from my house.

answers on a postcard.
Tell him you'll meet him for lunch. Then give the name and address of a restaurant near you. He'll get the idea when he punches it into his GPS.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:03 am
Yeah that guy.

Captain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond reputeCaptain Cheesestick has a reputation beyond repute

Do this.

Tell him to go to Google Maps and Get Directions. Type in "Stockport, UK" in the A tab. Then type, "Toulouse, France" in the B tab.

That is exactly the same distance as it is from your house to Boston give or take a mile.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Kneeno is an unknown quantity at this point

After the first line I expected the next to be:

".....said be a City fan......"
Old Jun 8th 2011, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

spiraluk is on a distinguished road

I'm moving from Manchester to Ohio soon strangely enough. I've told my sister that if she wants to come see me, I'll pick her up from Cleveland airport and left it at that.

Just tell him you haven't got the money to spend going up there and ask him to come to you. Be honest about it.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:04 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

All parents are a pain in the "but........"

Ian
Old Jun 8th 2011, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

fashionista will become famous soon enoughfashionista will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by spiraluk
I'm moving from Manchester to Ohio soon strangely enough. I've told my sister that if she wants to come see me, I'll pick her up from Cleveland airport and left it at that.

Just tell him you haven't got the money to spend going up there and ask him to come to you. Be honest about it.
Hah! I agree, maybe explain to him just how much it will cost you (in both annual leave and money) to fly there and stay for the week, maybe he doesn't realise what he's suggesting.

I've been emailing my friends and family pictures of all the amazing local places I'm going to take them to when they come to visit us. Although - I'm blessed with pretty spectacular natural attractions here - not sure what Ohio is like.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:16 pm
Daft.. not Stoopid

lyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud oflyonsden1193 has much to be proud of

you sure you not related to me??? that sounds just like the stunts my old man pulled (s).... He is still at it at 90yrs... (motto: only the good die young.. so mine is good for about another 30 yrs!!)

Have you had the letter yet?? had not seen him and mother for three weeks due to shift pattern and got this sarky letter with 'same address where their address shold be, and text of letter indicated they had not moved since we last saw them!!. Could we send updated photos!! next trick always was to wait till I was on nights then phone at 9 am!

Tell yours that Avis rent a car can rent him one, and make him drive to your house. Once he realises distance and time he will be driving, that might quieten him down.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:46 pm
Forum Regular

Rose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond reputeRose tea has a reputation beyond repute

My parents will fly to my city, but they fly unannounced and turn on my doorstep. Literally. I will open the door, and there they are. "Surprise!!!"

Followed by "well we know you're busy, so you don't need to worry about spending any time with us, we'll just do our own thing."

:curse:

I feel for you, OP. Like I said my parents will come to my home city, but my dad likes to plan these elaborate road trips that involve the two of us driving ridiculously long distances around the Southwest, in July, with him driving dangerously under the speed limit. Or he'll plan for me to take Amtrak and meet him at the most godforesakenly remote train station at 2am. Somehow I've always managed to get out of these....so far.

Last edited by Rose tea; Jun 8th 2011 at 4:58 pm.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute

answers on a postcard.
I know you are being serious but that whole post had me LOL
Old Jun 8th 2011, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

sadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud ofsadieb has much to be proud of

answers on a postcard.
Tell him that's great and you will meet up with them in Ohio. Let them know it is better if they come over the weekend as you will be off work so you will be able to spend more time with them. send them you address and directions from your nearest airport. Do not give in or this may become a yearly thing!! good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.