Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are my NI contributions tax deductible in the USA

Are my NI contributions tax deductible in the USA

Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:53 pm
Just Joined

Outlander is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are my NI contributions tax deductible in the USA

I have been in the USA for a couple of months now but think I should continue to pay NI incase we retire or move back to the UK (only in our twenties right now).

Are my NI contributions tax deductible against federal and state (CT) income taxes?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 7:11 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are my NI contributions tax deductible in the USA

Originally Posted by Outlander
I have been in the USA for a couple of months now but think I should continue to pay NI incase we retire or move back to the UK (only in our twenties right now).

Are my NI contributions tax deductible against federal and state (CT) income taxes?
Short answer, No. The IRS does not consider NI contributions as taxes, so you can't put them in your Schedule A (besides, 'social security' taxes are specifically NOT deductible.) I suppose if your insurance costs were greater than 7.5% of your adjusted gross income you might be able to deduct a portion of the NI contribution that is related to health insurance.

My voluntary contributions this year were around £140. Even if all the stars aligned, my health insurance costs exceed 7.5% of my AGI, and I calculated the portion of my NI contributions that accounted for health (presuming they are even eligible in the IRS opinion) it seems like a lot of work for very little, if any at all, financial gain.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you did not need to do voluntary NI contributions in the US as there is a tax treaty? Or did I read that wrong?

This link
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/work/ss-agree.htm#3a

Last edited by unique_boy; Sep 17th 2014 at 9:12 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:17 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by unique_boy
I thought you did not need to do voluntary NI contributions in the US as there is a tax treaty? Or did I read that wrong?

This link
HM Revenue & Customs: Working in Social Security Agreement Countries
You don't, hence it being voluntary.

It's cheap as chips though and depending on your age, might be worth doing so you can end up with two pensions rather than just the one.

If you're in your early 20's, it might not be as worthwhile doing though compared to someone in their 30's+.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

unique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond reputeunique_boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

It's cheap as chips though and depending on your age, might be worth doing so you can end up with two pensions rather than just the one.

If you're in your early 20's, it might not be as worthwhile doing though compared to someone in their 30's+.
Yes mid to late 20's (ohhh sh*t when did that happen)....I think I'll skip it as when I move back (if) I'm more than likely to be living in Dublin.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:13 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

You can't deduct voluntary NI contributions, but any UK state pension you get because of voluntary contributions will not be counted when calculating the Windfall Elimination Provision. Any portion of the UK state pension due to UK earned income is counted when calculating WEP.

Another nice US tax advantage is because you are paying for the UK state pension from already taxed money a portion of your UK state pension will be US tax free. You just have to estimate your lifetime contributions, know the level of the pension and run through the IRS annuity calculator to see how much of the UK pension is US taxable. If you have been making Class 2 NICs you don't get much of a tax break because the contributions are small when compared to the pension.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

Class 2 NICs are 140GBP per year right now so it's almost stupid not to pay them. If you are young and think you'll only be out of the UK for a few years so that you will be able to get 35 years of contributions back in the UK it's probably not worth making them......but if you intend to be abroad for longer than 5 years I'd probably pay them.

I came to the US when I was 25 and I had 3 years of free NICs from the time I was 16 to 18 years old. I started paying Class 2 voluntary NICs back in 1987 so in total I have 30 years. It was a very good move.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 11:24 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Class 2 NICs are 140GBP per year right now so it's almost stupid not to pay them. If you are young and think you'll only be out of the UK for a few years so that you will be able to get 35 years of contributions back in the UK it's probably not worth making them......but if you intend to be abroad for longer than 5 years I'd probably pay them.

I came to the US when I was 25 and I had 3 years of free NICs from the time I was 16 to 18 years old. I started paying Class 2 voluntary NICs back in 1987 so in total I have 30 years. It was a very good move.
+1 with knobs on.
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
Another nice US tax advantage is because you are paying for the UK state pension from already taxed money a portion of your UK state pension will be US tax free. You just have to estimate your lifetime contributions, know the level of the pension and run through the IRS annuity calculator to see how much of the UK pension is US taxable. If you have been making Class 2 NICs you don't get much of a tax break because the contributions are small when compared to the pension.
Thank you for yet another excellent tax pointer, Nun! I'm going to be paying Class 3 NICs, so this is especially useful for me. I've just found the relevant IRS pages, which mention about using either Simplified or General rules for calculating basis. Would this come under General do you think, since's it's a non-qualified plan?
Old Sep 18th 2014, 8:47 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Wonder if the final bit of my English student loan I paid off this year (forgot about $1k I owed, ahem) is tax deductible? I know US student loan payments are, but not sure about English ones.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:19 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Wonder if the final bit of my English student loan I paid off this year (forgot about $1k I owed, ahem) is tax deductible? I know US student loan payments are, but not sure about English ones.
Unless you earn less than $75,000 ($155,000 if filing a joint return) it isn't, and even then, only the interest is deductible, not the payment towards the principal.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 10:52 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I'm going to be paying Class 3 NICs, so this is especially useful for me.
If you're employed you only have to pay Class 2, which are much less. If you're paying Class 3 the calculation as to whether it's worth it gets more tricky.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
If you're employed you only have to pay Class 2, which are much less. If you're paying Class 3 the calculation as to whether it's worth it gets more tricky.
Nope, not employed in either the UK before leaving, or here, so I'll be Class 3.

I've run the calcs on the payback, comparing paying the Class 3 sub or taking that same money and investing it elsewhere until retirement age - in order to 'win', I'd need to live 10.6 years from withdrawal, so 77.5 in my case. I've grandparents who lived into their 90s and have absolutely no current health issues in my 40s, so seems worth a punt.

Anyhow, it's a question of regret risk. If I live, I'd certainly regret not paying. If I die... well, then I won't care! I view it as a way of taking longevity risk and the worst case scenario - pauperism in old age and outliving my money - off the table, at a relatively low cost.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 12:07 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
Nope, not employed in either the UK before leaving, or here, so I'll be Class 3.

I've run the calcs on the payback, comparing paying the Class 3 sub or taking that same money and investing it elsewhere until retirement age - in order to 'win', I'd need to live 10.6 years from withdrawal, so 77.5 in my case. I've grandparents who lived into their 90s and have absolutely no current health issues in my 40s, so seems worth a punt.

Anyhow, it's a question of regret risk. If I live, I'd certainly regret not paying. If I die... well, then I won't care! I view it as a way of taking longevity risk and the worst case scenario - pauperism in old age and outliving my money - off the table, at a relatively low cost.

Is there any chance that payment of voluntary NI contributions would be considered an indication of wishing to retain a U.K. domicile? (normally, it is desirable to establish a non-U.K. domicile in order to avoid Inheritance Tax on non-U.K. assets).
Old Sep 21st 2014, 1:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
Is there any chance that payment of voluntary NI contributions would be considered an indication of wishing to retain a U.K. domicile? (normally, it is desirable to establish a non-U.K. domicile in order to avoid Inheritance Tax on non-U.K. assets).
Interesting question... We don't have any other UK assets other than a minimal bank account for when we holiday there, and some very ancient pensions, no house or anything. All our assets are US-based: we own a house here, have retirement accounts and other investments, green cards (evidence of considering ourselves permanent residents), etc etc. The zombie UK pensions will be cashed out once we hit 55, and the money onshored here.

And it's not like a UK state pension is attached to any residency requirement, like having to return to the UK in the future in order to claim the pension, or at least pretend that you are. Having the right to pay into it and get a pension is a consequence of British citizenship (with a few provisos about having lived there and paid in X number of years in the past, etc).

So the circumstances of my British birth and earlier life there give me the right to pay for and claim a pension. The same British birth and early life there also gives me the right to pay for and claim a passport, but I don't hear anyone arguing that possession of a UK passport = British domicile.

What does anyone else think?

Last edited by kodokan; Sep 21st 2014 at 1:42 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.