Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

My mum is losing her fight...when to go?

My mum is losing her fight...when to go?

Old Jan 7th 2012, 5:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My mum is losing her fight...when to go?

Originally Posted by penguinsix
My only other suggestion is to call the airlines. Get through to a human being (not a machine) and explain your situation. See if there is some way you could get a flexible ticket or no penalty change ticket that you can have on you for the next month or two. Talk to them about the price of this vs. buying a last minute ticket if needed. I would concur with others--the next six to eight weeks are actually pretty good for flying as demand is rather low.
This was going to be my suggestion too... my mum also passed away suddenly, on Thanksgiving Day 6 years ago, first we looked at the usual travel sites (Orbitz, Expedia etc) for quotes, at the time there was only 3 of us, the cheapest quote I could find was over $9000! We called, what was then, Northwest and they got that down to just under $3000. I would certainly be checking into this now, your head will be all over the place if the worst happens.

May God be with you and your family at this very difficult time.
Old Jan 9th 2012, 11:54 pm
Saxon

TerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really niceTerryVA is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Sometimes going with a "gut feeling" is the right thing to do.
In the case of my Dad, I phoned the hospital in the UK and managed (after several attempts) to speak to his doctor. He was very vague about the prognosis, so I asked him whether I should come over that month, or in three months. "Oh, definitely this month!" he said.

And he was right...
Old Jan 10th 2012, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

Dewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud ofDewey has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dan725
I think she will elect to go home and have the health visits to make her as comfortable as possible; she loves to sit and look out of the window in the back garden at home
Sorry you're all going through this, what you wrote here reminded me my Dad built a bird box for his Dad outside his bedroom window when he came home for hospice care in his last weeks. Wishing you strength and peace.
Old Jan 10th 2012, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

I had the same situation with my mum about 2 years ago. I went home for a visit and knew when I got there that it was time to stay; they gave her 6-12 weeks. She lived several months, but I wouldn't trade the time for anything.

I don't know how close you are to your mum, or how much time off you have etc, but you get only get one mum and you'll never regret spending time with her while you can. You might regret not spending it.

Go as soon as you can and give/gets lots of hugs from your mum.

I'm so sorry you have to go through it; it's the worst part of being an expat.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys, a sad update....my dad on Sunday told me I should think about booking a flight soon as things were deteriorating even more. Promptly booked one for Weds (Tomorrow). Unfortunately, yesterday I received the news that she had passed - it happened a lot sooner than anyone expected, doctors included. In fact they had just set her up and ordered a ton of gear to make it as comfortable as possible for her...but she just went to sleep and didn't wake up.

But here's the thing - I feel my lasting memory of her will now be of her able to stand on her own two feet, giving me a huge hug just 4 weeks ago on the return here. The Christmas trip was everything - I'd be devastated if we hadn't gone, but we were there and helped make her last Christmas an extra special one, with everyone together, just before the final serious and sudden turn happened. She also just got my last text to her about an hour before she passed - my dad read it to her, so while it would have been nice to get there, she knew I was thinking about her and she has suffered enough these last few years and is now at peace.

I'm going back for 3 weeks to be there for my dad and sister and we will get through it properly now as a family.

Thanks so much for your advice and support everyone.

Last edited by Dan725; Jan 24th 2012 at 7:10 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Colette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really niceColette3886 is just really nice

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Colette
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:21 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Well guys, a sad update....my dad on Sunday told me I should think about booking a flight soon as things were deteriorating even more. Promptly booked one for Weds (Tomorrow). Unfortunately, yesterday I received the news that she had passed - it happened a lot sooner than anyone expected, doctors included. In fact they had just set her up and ordered a ton of gear to make it as comfortable as possible for her...but she just went to sleep and didn't wake up.

But here's the thing - I feel my lasting memory of her will now be of her able to stand on her own two feet, giving me a huge hug just 4 weeks ago on the return here. The Christmas trip was everything - I'd be devastated if we hadn't gone, but we were there and helped make her last Christmas an extra special one, with everyone together, just before the final serious and sudden turn happened. She also just got my last text to her about an hour before she passed - my dad read it to her, so while it would have been nice to get there, she knew I was thinking about her and she has suffered enough these last few years and is now at peace.

I'm going back for 3 weeks to be there for my dad and sister and we will get through it properly now as a family.

So sorry for your loss.

I think it is wonderful that you have such a great last memory of your Mum, and I'm sure her last thoughts of you were of a lovely Christmas you all shared.

Wishing you strength over the coming weeks.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 7:58 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry for your loss Dan. Glad you are able to take a positive view of the memory of your last visit, and hope that helps sustain you over the coming weeks.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for your loss, but glad you were able to spend a last special Christmas together.

Take care to you and your family and safe travels!
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:30 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere sympathy -- I think your memories of your last Christmas together will last a lifetime -- it was the perfect time to be with your mum.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 8:31 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Sincere condolences, but what a wonderful Christmas you all had. Those memories will be precious and stay around forever.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:07 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My condolences for your loss.

Like you say you have good memories and lovely pictures in your mind's eye of your mother at Christmas. All the best and have a safe journey home to your family.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that you missed getting home in time for your Mums passing, but as everyone (and you) has said, thank goodness your last memories of being with her are good and precious ones.

Thinking of you and your family, go home and comfort each other through the next few weeks, your Mum is at peace now and she knows how much you loved her.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your Mum, Dan, but as others have said it's nice that you had the special time and good memories from your visit.
Old Jan 24th 2012, 9:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear about your Mum's passing Dan. Thinking of you and your family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.